General Dance Discussion > Comp Results of DFers

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by elisedance, Jan 21, 2008.

1. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

Congrats njdg!

2. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Rotten comp for us: 6/8 in Adult and 5/6 in Adult I. Our dancing is getting better - least I feel it is, and yet our results seem to be either oscillating all over the place (win one come last in the next) or getting worse. Next up: a consult with a top pro.

3. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

first official pics of me and CNP :p:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Thank you, cantski :cool:

4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Lookin good, doll! How'd it go?

Cantski has such a good eye...

5. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

We placed 5th in American Tango/Foxtrot, and 6th in Standard Waltz/Quickstep. Our Rhythm/Latin was, shall we say, more of a learning experience :rolleyes:. Nothing that can't be remedied with additional practice time and preparation. Attempting a comp after only dancing a few times together was kinda nuts anyway. Two more weeks until the next comp, so hopefully things will be a bit more settled by then.

6. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Great to have you off and running A123, well in QS anyway ;)

7. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Just make sure it is running, and not too much hopping, no matter what flashdance might say. ;)

And looking good, and123, congrats.

8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

you danced only a few times together? wow -- kudos for jumping into the fray! did you have routines?

9. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Routines? Um, "theoretically possible sequences", perhaps. Both of us knew darn well that the sequences would have to be randomly aborted on the floor, and indeed that was the case. Much of it was lead and follow, or in this case, lead and try to follow. Since we haven't been dancing together for long, I don't have a really good feel of his body yet (minds out of the gutter, people....:p)

10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

my sympathies on that...one major difficulty in the pro switch has been that dancing with FP 5 days a week...there was never any doubt in my mind what was happening, what would happen if something unplanned occurred etc....NP likes to switch things up alot for all sorts of important reasons, and b/c he is still new to me, even though he is a dream to dance with and easy to follow if I allow it, it is difficult not to panic and hope I know what is happening...I just haven't logged enough hours with him to really really know his body and remember the feel...but...it will come

11. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

It's funny how quickly you learn to read your partner's mind though. I've only been dancing with my new partner for 6 months now, and one of the main reasons we keep winning is because she knows exactly what I'll do in any given situation without necessarily making a physical lead, and I know exactly what she is and isn't comfortable doing, making the decision on what to lead that much easier.

12. elisedance

elisedance New Member

you guys are so fortunate/naturally good it makes me sick*.

[with envy that is - see last post... :( )

13. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Dubious honor of dancing my absolute worst comp dancing ever today. Did our 5 new open routines for the first time and can only summarize by saying "train wreck". I screwed up, he screwed up, we didn't get to our starting spot for paso and they began the music...totally threw it off and I was completely unprepared for choreography change to get back in place (which we did for the first crash...amen). Saving grace was rumba, which I took 1st, but not sure how I even pulled that off when I didn't hear one bar of the music! *oy* Hopefully it only goes up from here! Gave my pro the dvd; don't even want to see it.

14. fascination

ow...sorry to hear it

15. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I like to tell the students in my lab that you don't know an experimental method until you have made all possible errors in its execution - its advice based on 35 years of personal screwing up :rolleyes: Its also a great way to take something positive out of the most negative efforts - perhaps that helps?

Of course, you could also be at least largely wrong - errors felt are not necessarily errors seen - and they are always magnified when you are competing. Often I have felt like I totally screwed something up and then couldn't even find it on the video.

So, 'pick yourself up, brush yourself off and....start all over again' :)

[And be prepared to bolster me in turn - after trying to learn 5 new open routines in the past three weeks....;)]

16. fascination

there is also something liberating about total humiliation...you learn that it doesn't kill you and there is no where to go but up

17. reb

reb Active Member

elise - right on!

MQ - Most discoveries are not made by planned execution, but by mistakes and stumbling into things . . . .

Right now, there are Einstein's of today (literally) trying to figure out why certain equations, and what should be logical, don't work.

I guess this means you just set yourself up for a breakthrough discovery . . . :D

18. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Thank you...not looking for pity, but I agree that it is going to just take time and repetition. Limited budget doesn't really help; I have the conundrum of spending money on lessons or comps...and having to find some balance that. I'm sure it'll get better from here. And to put things in proper perspective, I just came back from my friend's wake. Certainly no feeling sorry for myself after that.

Thanks for the words, though. It always helps to have the wisdom of others who have done the same, or similar. Such a wonderfully supportive community here. :)

19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

It's all been said so...sending you hugs...sounds like you're viewing it in the best perspective you can...and will be happy to toast veuve with you to future successes in the near future. :)

20. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

I don't have anything to add to what's been said except I'm sorry to hear about your comp. Sending hugs your way! :friend: