General Dance Discussion > Comp Results of DFers

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by elisedance, Jan 21, 2008.

1. meow

meow New Member

For me, this thread is a great idea. My kitten mostly competes in Aust and if I started a thread on "Premiere Championships" in Melbourne, I would probably be the only poster. This way, I can post his results, good and bad. And add info about the venue, funny stories at that comp or whatever. I think it is a very good idea.
    There isn't a comp for him til March, I think, so it will be a little while before I can contribute but it is also interesting to hear others experiences. Sort of a "DF Fan Club!'

2. reb

reb Active Member

"Lowly level of Senior I" - Senior I is not a level, nor is it lowly. Your level is syllabus, Novice, Pre-Champ, or Champ and these levels are associated with a variety of age groups, including Senior I.
    (I'm of legit Senior II age [ahem] and will be looking for a partner soon)

As has been stated - don't hesitate to post results (including yours) as a kindly action on DF in the thread about the comp - your friends can see ALL your results that way . . . and they can become our friends also here on DF! And you'll be a hero among DFers as have Laura, Dancing Jools, DancerForLife, and many other DFers for keeping us updated on event results as they happen - we hope you post your results (and others) for Classique, etc. And your actions might even encourage one or more of the many lurkers to step openly into DF because they watched or danced at the comp and may add to the conversation.

Posting within a thread about the comp is significant because its (a) the size of the comp, (b) the competitors who entered, and (c) your relative placings that are far more significant than a list of placements of apples and oranges.

A complete listing which has meaning can be created, but to provide unbiased arbitration among comps would be a full-time job and be a bigger project than a thread - like a database with constant data entry and peer review (good luck!). Of course, the properly motivated and talented person/people could do such a thing - its not impossible. Its been done on the international level level (as you pointed out in #24) at http://dancesportinfo.net but I believe its regarded as less than perfect.

Regarding the thought about others not interested in other comps - not my experience. Do you read about comps you don't attend? What makes you think we don't? I think most DFers (including many lurkers who read, but don't post at all) read a lot of the comp results and use that information to learn more about what's going on. They might not post because they weren't there, but I'll bet you'd be surprised how many people would read your results and pay attention. If your measure is how many would engage by posting in that thread, you might be disappointed, but that's not the true measure of how many people read the info.

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

personally, i like hearing about people's results because it's telling something about the whole story of their dance efforts. i don't think sharing results is itself self-aggrandizement... i guess it's the spirit behind the sharing that would convey or not convey that.

anyway, am gonna search out the northeastern comp thread from last year and share mine from yesterday. not to toot so much as to mark a significant milestone -- that was my very first comp last year, and i think it's interesting to note the comparison a year later...

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

nice new avatar sam...see ya soon

5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

thx, fasc... and yep, so looking forward to MD!

6. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Whoo, Samina!! Hot costume!

7. elisedance

elisedance New Member

well, just got back from the Falls Premiere comp (at which there were 2 DFers at least - so, no, not much of a FP thread. The highlight of the comp was a showcase of the 'legends of Canadian dancesport':

Pierre Allaire~Mireille Veilleux
    Stephane Champagne~Manon Hurteau
    Alain Doucet~Anik Jolicoeur
    Jean-Marc Genereux & France Mousseau
    Vadim Mostovoy~Angela Mostovoy
    Danny Quillium~Lynn Jolicoeur

It was fantastic to see these competitors back onthe dance floor - some have retired relatively recently (such as Danny and Lynn) whereas other some time agao. Howerver, the whole event was really exciting and full of sentiment. Great idea on the part of the organizers.

So after that my own results are rather limpid! We competed on Saturday in AM adult Gold - and came last out of 5. I won't make any excuses except to say it wasn't our best outing (hope I'm not showing off too much Joe :p). I felt awful after - just a week before everything was working great and now we had the opposite at the comp with the big name judges.

However, it was not all bad. Today we did Gold Senior I - 6 couples were scheduled but one did not show and we placed 3rd!! Thats our highest placing yet - and although we should not make too much of it as there was not even a full slate of finalists, let alone a semi, it was a real pleasure to erase the memory of the day before. We also got soem very nice comments from a judge that left me feeling positively happy. Or is that happliy positive! And most important, I want to congratulate Rugby and her partner who came 1st YAY!!!!

See that way we can share in Rugby's success!

Next up the Classicque de Quebec in Montreal and the Ontario closed a week later...

8. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Hi Sam - please don't be bashful - what happened at the comp? Its just so much easier IMO if we put everything in the same place.

Obviously I agree wit you - there is more to competition results than placing. Its a measure of how your dance training is going, a chance to discuss improvements and the differences in competitions. IMO anyone who seems competitions only in terms of whether you were first or not is missing out on a whole lot of fun and interest.

9. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Oh, and that is SUCH a cheery avatar Sam - love it. (though I may miss the romantic/sexy one too...) :)

10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i think it *is* a nice idea to post results here. i just wanted it in that place this time because it was an anniversary there since my first comp. :)

i couldn't full-throttle it in the final of the silver scholarship (still nursing self back to health)... everything started to fall apart, you know how that goes... but i still placed 4th, and was a solid 2/3 going into the final. i truly thought it was a long-shot when we took our places on the floor for the semi that i'd get called back. but i know that if i'd had my full capacity goin', i could've put up a good fight for the 2nd-place winner, and she was very solid. not the 1st place, tho... not yet. :)

bear in mind, i am such a newb at this... i think it was my first semi ever. i am no seasoned competitor as yet. it's all such a thrill just to be in a semi...

anyway, i also won the dancesport series event. it was tiny, just three of us, and not as competitively danced as the silver scholarship. but i didn't expect to place first.

it was just nice to know how i fit into the field of the day.

the DS series felt like the poor country cousin event, tho... no lineup, no photographer. anti-climactic, IMHO...

11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i love the old shot as well... but i've uploaded it to the photo gallery in full size. as soon as it's approved, check it out. :)

the new one has my typically goofy smile, lol.

12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i uploaded the new avatar shot full-size to the gallery, too... we are on the comp floor in a lag between dances and i'm being goofy for the camera, kicking my leg up. dunno if it's done, but... well, now it is, lol. :)

13. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Fantastic!! Congrats - thats a hell of a placing. I think my main 'seasoning' has been to not take any individual event too seriously but to look at the trends - you always come up against oddities - illness, slips, inconsistent judging etc etc but one can get a pretty good feel from several comps. However, making it into the final is defiintely a big plus as, IMO, that means they like your basic technique..

And congrats again. My experience were very similar to yours - and I always got the feeling that the DS events were something that most competitions sort of wanted to get out of the way. Not always but too often. I suppose eventually you find out which ones value it and then go to those - in part you can tell I think by when they schedule them. Crystal Leaf had it during the Saturday evening - prime time - so they took it seriously as did Michigan but it varied a lot.

Anyhow, a wins a win - now you can go to the DS series page and keep track of your scores - on the team match and MVP pages in addition to the totals (which are dominated by the 'career DRers')

14. ThisIsNotMe

ThisIsNotMe New Member

At my last (and coincidentally, first) comp, I competed in New Vogue, and placed second. Since then, however, my partner has moved away and found a new partner and I have been left deserted :cry:

15. elisedance

elisedance New Member

TINM: I'm not familiar with New Vogue - where would you place that - contemporary? Its that really popular in Australia? Oh, and congrats on your placing - hope you find a new partner real soon to continue the quest....

16. elisedance

elisedance New Member

which brings me to reason number whatever for this thread: I put it in the General Dance forum and not Ballroom on purpose so that we might see what other members are doing in say salsa or AT comps. Surely not many of us read all the comp threads in all the forums....

I do see the point about posting results in specific comp threads too. Perhaps we could have Official Deic Dispensation to allow double posts on this topic - one at the specific comp - to chat with fellow attendants and a second one here to inform the forum at large? Since competitions are such a large part of DF maybe this would be a good idea?

17. rjcbear

rjcbear New Member

Sam,

Congratulations. I think the DS events are done that way since you are accumulating points I came 3rd and there was no podium. they gave every one that did not place in the top 3 certificates of participation and the top 3 received a medal and that was all.

Would I do it again YES I will not think twice.

18. Rugby

Rugby Member

Yahoo, I finally became a bride instead of a bridesmaid in both latin and standard at the last comp. Seems a fitting place to become one seeing it was held in Niagara Falls. ;)

19. ThisIsNotMe

ThisIsNotMe New Member

New Vogue is sequence dancing that's only danced in Australia and New Zealand. There are 16 dances that are used in competition, as well as numerous others. Some are March tempo, in 2/4, or 4/4, some are VW tempo/rhythm (3/4, obviously), and some are Foxtrot tempo (4/4, also obviously). I think the Tango style ones are considered March tempo/style. They're a lot of fun, and look beautiful in competitions, because everyone does the same thing at the same time - all that changes is the styling.

20. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I can imagine it - though I must admit I do get visions of those beautiful dance sequences with tens of girls on the sage in the 50s movies! So everyone is doing the same thing but they are beng judged as couples within the throng? Then I assume there must be quite a number of people in this style - so maybe not so hopeless to find a new partner?