General Dance Discussion > Comp Results of DFers

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by elisedance, Jan 21, 2008.

1. reb

reb Active Member

??
    Probably more like International Standard VW where couples perform identical/similar figures at the same time - if so, it dramatizes the differences between couples - good and not-so-good

. . . but not as boring to the casual observer!

Gotta go to Australia - how long is the flight?

2. ThisIsNotMe

ThisIsNotMe New Member

Yes, that's right, the couples are being judged individually. I guess nearly as many people compete in NV as in satndard and latin, but I'm not sure. Finding a partner in general is hopeless because there are so many more girls than guys in the sport, I think that dancing still has some negative connotations for guys (at least, around here it does!).

Ok, I think i will stop hijacking now!:D

3. ThisIsNotMe

ThisIsNotMe New Member

Exactly right! Much like int VW, it's the styling that separates couples, that and, of course, how good they are ;)

Hmm...not sure how long the flight over here is....pretty long i think...

4. Laura

Laura New Member

San Francisco to Sydney is scheduled as being 14 hours and 40 minutes :)

5. catsmeow

catsmeow New Member

congrats Elisedance. Seems you are are on the way up. Nice to have one of the judges make some comments. What did they say to you?

6. Rugby

Rugby Member

Hey elisedance don't feel bad about your placings, you did very well. You have to remember that though there was not a full slate of competitors the ones that went were the main competition. Not to put the others down, but the better ones were there and most of them are very experienced in that level. I believe you actually tied for second since you were second in two of the dances and third in two as were the couple that won the second place. It was the tie breaking of amount of firsts from judges that slid you into third, thats all. You also beat a couple that is the most experienced in our field too, so you really better than you know.

7. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Hi CM. It may be a bit different here in Ontario than where you are (whereever that is :)) The province has a reasonably large but still limited population of AM standard dancers and judges so we tend to see a similar (but not identical) field of each other and one can not help but to get to know each other a bit too. We have competed for about 4 months so we are still newbies as a couple but both of us competed before - DP years ago in AM and me right up to the partnership in pro/am. Thus we are familiar to the judges as individuals and we are currently going through a process where they are getting to know us as an established partnershp.

This particular judge has seen us at about 4 competitions now - including our first one last September (where he placed us dead last!). At the comp on sunday he had us 4, 3, 2 and 1st in the four dances out of 5 couples - a very encouraging improvement. His comment was that we need to aim for consistency - which I was very pleased with since it indicates that we must be able to do good technique, we just don't do it all the time (we made some silly self-inflicted errors).

the next comp will be at the Classique de Montreal - quite a different ball game. with the number of couples registered we may be lucky to make the final (maybe even the semis). Still, it will be a terrific experience I hope and will give us a benchmark to work from. I'm both very excited - and rather scared!

8. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Thanks for the encouragement Rugby - but please don't think I feel bad. We were very happy with the third place, in particular since I was not 100%. the key thing is that on average we are progressing nicely I think - and enjoying the ride very much.

9. catsmeow

catsmeow New Member

rugby: what is your next goal in dancing? seems like you and your partner are ready to advance a bit. Is it like the American style where anything goes or is it more structured?

10. catsmeow

catsmeow New Member

Elise dance. In my limited experience with judges, in comps where the same judges appear regularly and the number of competitive couples is small, the chance that they are seeking new students is likely. What do you think about that?

11. Rugby

Rugby Member

You have a point catsmeow as there is heresay that there are a few judges that do this sort of thing around here. I will not say if it is true or false, I'll take the fifth. I try and take any advice no matter why it is given. Helpful advice is helpful advice, no matter the source or reason for it.
    As for my goals my partner and I are starting to work on our pre-champ routines in standard so that we will be ready when we move up. We have always been kicked out of each level and gone into the next one unprepared, so I am hoping to get ahead this time in case we run into the same situation. Who knows but better to be prepared. We are going to stay in gold latin for as long as we can to give our standard more time. We only see each other once or twice a week so it is hard doing 10 dances and trying to keep up in both let alone win in both.

12. catsmeow

catsmeow New Member

I agree Rugby. Was only giving vent to inner feelings about judging and the possibility of a few who take advantage

13. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I suppose it does happen. However, I think such attempts would generate a gut feeling of being scalped. The first sign for me would be unsolicited advice - that is the judge aproaches you. This has not happened to us - I have only had feedback when I asked for it. Second, I think you would be sensitized by the nature of the advice. The judge that gave us positive comments at the last comp provided input that can only be described as damning at our first competition - not the kind of comments you would expect from a potential coach.

I know there is always suspicion of alternior motives or bias in judges. However, my experience to date has been that when we dance badly we do badly and when we dance well we do well - all with the same batch of judges. Thus, I am currently impressed with their professionalism. Sure, sometimes a judge that is also a couple's coach will mark them higher than the mean - but the likelihood is that that couple is paying attention to the aspects of ballroom that that particular judge pays most attention to. Even if there is some bias the healthy way to deal with it is to let it be since bias usually ballances out - one judge may not like you so much but another will be your champion. The more judges, the more confidence with the results (and we had 7 at the comp).

14. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

" Anything goes " ?-- not quite !!

15. Rugby

Rugby Member

Catsmeow and I had spoken about the Pro/Am and American style competitions in our respective areas when he was up this way. The unfortunate thing that both of our areas seemed to share was a blatant lack of rules. Each studio danced their own steps, which was fine but, outside of bronze (and even then), there was no uniformity, nor shared particular steps for each of the levels. When Dancing With The Stars came out the studios went wild. I watched people in bronze level doing the splits, advanced oversways, throwaways etc. and even partial lifts. Anything the student saw on the show and liked went into their routine.
    The amateur organization up here wants to get the American studios all on the same page and form some uniform rules for their amateurs but he was told to mind his own business. The competitions can be crazy, and as catsmeow has experienced, to the point of anything goes. Its one of the reasons I stopped years back. I've heard alot of people saying that they felt like fools when they went in with what they thought was a bronze routine, to only have their competitors doing International gold and pre-champ moves. They felt that if there was going to be no even playing field then forget it.

16. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I think you need look no further than the rules at the competitions. For pro/am they typically state 'steps are restricted to amateur syllabus, fred astaire, arthur murray or any other syllabus (or some such phrase). I can't see how anyone couldn't read that as 'anything goes'. the reason is obvious: pro/am (and the competitions themselves) is driven by pros bringing students and the competitions do not want to put any restrictions on their participation - and hence there are next to no rules. We once had a thread where the question was raised as to whether pro/ams are every envigilated. Examples were raised but these are very rare - I'm not sure there is any envigilator with the credentials to carry out such a nebulous task.

17. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

Wow! They sure are giving American style a bad name in your parts. That's a shame. In the US, yes, sometimes people get away with doing a few silver steps in bronze, etc., but nothing like splits or lifts. That would surely get invigilated. If they want to do that kind of trick, they do an open solo or a cabaret routine.

18. Rugby

Rugby Member

Sad but true. It has become a cash cow thing now. Not by all instructors I'm sure but enough to take away any respect. I think it is up to the American studios to get the respect for the style back but fast money is a strong motivator to not worry about that. I am glad to hear that things are different in your area.

19. meow

meow New Member

Congrats on your recent results ED and Rugby. No news at this end as we haven't had any comps yet.

20. elisedance

elisedance New Member

thanks M. Just over two weeks to the next one - the Classique - and its the biggest in Canada. Looks like it may be their biggest yet too.