General Dance Discussion > Comp Results of DFers

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by elisedance, Jan 21, 2008.

1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

kewl. will check out.

2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

waltzgirl, i'm also currently digging deep into one of my eric franklin books (my latest on filled w/ exercises for releasing tension in the shoulder/neck/upper back).

and i'm listening to a bunch of feldenkrais podcasts while i work.

any angle i got, i'm hittin it, lol. :)

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

ok, this is the first time i've excavated those results lists to see who i lost to, who i beat, what level they dance, etc.

not sure what that makes me... i think that pouring over judges' marks may be next...:rolleyes:

does anyone else do this? seems so...

4. reb

reb Active Member

I can't remember how many times we have been told to not look at the judges marks.

The urge is there, but the training says don't.

And yet its data - love data . . . but then there's the psych aspects involved

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I rarely pay attention to my placements but I pay alot of attention to the judges' marks....if they are posted...are they?...b/c alot of weird things happen with judges and it is very illuminating to see how that all shook out...sometimes someone is dominant and sometimes the marks are all over the place....I find that that to be very helpful....I took a heat off of a very good dancer whom I have never taken a mark from and I would love to see what was up there...it is such a complex weave of factors...used to make me nuts...it is interesting to watch pro's new student go through the agony, "why did they beat me?"....so hard to get her to appreciate all of the possibilities on that one...she's just gonna hafta learn it the same way everyone else does

6. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

I like to see the judges' marks. My marks are usually all over the place, so I like to see the marks that were higher than my overall placement!

7. fascination

but reb that is exactly why I like to see them...it helps me to realize how very subjective it all is...unless they mark consistently across the board which is what tells me I really have work to do .......

but you are right...in general I take personal goals with me to comps...I hope they show up in the marks but I cling to them regardless...and after a certain amount of consistency across a year I can tell myself that I am a good dancer and one the continues to keep getting better....lol...I love bob powres comment to not complain that it's rigged when you lose unless you are prepared to say the same when you win....

which brings me to an idea for a thread..."my personal goals for my next comp" thread....which can't include placement...pondering this

8. reb

reb Active Member

. . . and smooth seems to me to be the easiest place for marks to be all over the place!

9. fascination

true...other styles seem to be less flexible...meh....one of the fun parts of 4 styles....all sorts of stuff to think about

10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i look them over with my pro after every comp. they aren't posted online, but we go to the front desk and usually get a copy, or just read them thru in the book.

we can see trends, and compare how results fared against our expectations & how we felt... see my dancing as it's perceived against other dancers that were on the floor. seems like there's some valuable information there, if it's taken with a large grain of salt...

11. fascination

sometimes the marks are online sam

12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yes, now that i think of it, i remember seeing them on some sites... i don't think any of my own tho.

13. fascination

also...sometimes you can pm the organizers and get them

14. reb

reb Active Member

Its almost contrary to the nature of a competitor, a strategist, someone who's totally into the competition to not seek and pay attention to all the data one can get (I'm certainly not immune to it).

I think a reason to consider not looking at the marks is to support focusing on the only things one can control - oneself, ones practice, one's thoughts, one's words, etc.

For arguments sake, I'll go along with the assumption that aggressive hard-working competitors can intelligently analyze the judges marks, add it to our learning experience, and move on.

However, I think the caution about looking at the marks comes from
    (a) the experience of the champs who have counselled us in this manner - because pre-event. pre-dance, you'll notice who is judging and who is not and your sharp mind knows exactly who marked you well and who didn't and then you start thinking . . . , and
    (b) this can run afoul of the teaching of maximillian winklehous (sp?) about training oneself to learn what distractions can exist so, to become aware of them, so you can train yourself to ignore the distractions inherent in them - the floor, the music, the judges . . .

15. fascination

agree.....I try very hard not to look at who is judging before a comp...or who will be in my heats....again ...only my goals...my goals for this comp in smooth were to power down on the first set...I tend to go out there like rambo and just fly through the first round...partnering skills were also a big part of what I wanted to do this comp in standard....and in latin I had some goals for keeping myself forward poised and using my feet and legs better....pro has the CD ...we will see....

16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

sounds like wise counsel. i know for myself that prior to competing i am focused on absolutely nothing but what i'm about to do. nothing pre-game but prep & go.

i'm liking the post-game analysis... right now anyway, it's educating me about the industry, my dancing... helping me clarify goals, see where i fit into the scheme of things

17. reb

reb Active Member

Toni had DW settle down her power before we walked onto the floor by warming up hard to get the physical edge off before an event (read: as though we were in the middle rather than the beginning of an event) - but you've also got a day-long, mutli-day endurance angle to consider . . . :D

18. reb

reb Active Member

yeah, it is totally engrossing!

19. fascination

ya know...I get fatigued but not before pro who usually dances twice as much so I don't think that is much of an issue...and generally I don't even get fatigued unless I have already cashed it in emotionally...so I really should do that more often....difficult to find the time logistically it seems...working on it though

20. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

It depends what you pour. ;)