Country and Western > Comparison between Two Step and Foxtrot

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by SlowDancer, Dec 16, 2006.

1. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

I have a question for those of you who, like me, are active in both the ballroom and country-western worlds (there may not be m/any others, but I guess I'll find out soon enough).

For as long as I can remember, I've heard both ballroom and country western dancers commenting that the American style foxtrot and country two step are "just alike," "if you can two step, then you can foxtrot" (or vice versa), and other similar statements.

I can see no similarities at all between the two dances, except for the obvious: both are progressive dances danced to 4/4 time. But I am frustrated that I've been dancing two step much longer than foxtrot, because I started out dancing country western, but even with much less time and energy and money spent on American smooth lessons, my silver level American foxtrot is much better than my two step.

Here's where I'm coming from. I had a coaching with an excellent country western guy yesterday and we concentrated on two step. By the end of the hour, I felt that I couldn't do anything right. My turns and spins should be tighter (not an issue in American foxtrot), and I should consistently spot down the line of dance (not an issue in American foxtrot).

I've always said it, and I'll say it again, maybe two step isn't to everyone's liking, but of all the dances I've danced, both country and ballroom--and I've danced a b***load of 'em--two step is the hardest to do well. My question is, has anyone else here had a similar experience? Danced two step for a long, long time but still feel like you sorta suck at it?

There. I feel better.:raisebro:

2. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Oh, man, you must be taking about competition country western two step. Sorry.
    "But it's all right now, I learned my lesson well.
    You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself"

3. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I echo everyone of your comments . . . ever since I started taking ballroom privates, esp FT, my Two Step abilities have sucked more and more . . . to the point of frustration and not even wanting to do Jack and Jills, muchless Pro-Am.

4. kayak

kayak Active Member

I always think the word "conversational" gets left out of the comparision. So we should say converstational 2-step is a lot like conversational foxtrot. For instance, after they have finished the Electric Slide and YMCA song at the company Christmas party. The couples dance is more of a shuffling with a ton of people on the floor and the purpose is to be talking while dancing.

So the difference between a 2-stepper and a foxtroter in this social situation is almost nothing. The basics are almost identical and at most couples do a few partner turns while talking. My friend, who is an awesome dancer, says you can tell by the angle the guys choose to lead her around the floor whether they are country or ballroom, but that is pretty subtle.

I think when a cw dancer opens to promenade is when the two dances take pretty different paths. Even just out social dancing, in 2-step the women really have to be awesome at their turns. They also have to follow a guys center that is not always stepping right at them.

5. kayak

kayak Active Member

One of the things I love about 2-step is how closely the patterns we lead socially at the club match the competition moves; maybe closer than any other dance? I am amazed how many dancers in 2-step around my area have pretty to very good technique. I like chacha, but our social version hardly even looks like a competitive chacha. The same seems true with Foxtrot. I think it is rare to see social foxtrot with the rise and fall and beautiful body lines.

6. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

We have a friend who is a wonderful ballroom dancer who says she cannot do 2-step. It's one of my favorite dances, but also the one I seem to have the most problems with (competitively) so maybe you are on to something here. (I don't compete in ballroom.)
    Social fox-trot is probably my least favorite dance, but I enjoy 2-step socially.
    Unfortunately, I don't have any answers. :(

7. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Yea, I wonder why that is??? If you don't shoot your arm out there on every move . . . perfect hips . . . that check-the-audience glance . . . hey, then you're not dancing it all the way??? Yes???

I know what you mean . . . it's like we never stop competing - esp in those two dances - for me!

8. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I rarely drink, but I do know that when I've had a few (six packs?), I socially dance better . . . well, at least I think so. Maybe it's because I have totally let go, and I am working so hard (when drinking) to concentrate on those Q-Q-S-S's or Q-Q-Q's, etc. so much, that I've just forgotten about the competitive side of the dance?

I don't have the answers either . . . I just know that right now, after doing the 2 Step for over twenty years . . . I am now struggling with it . . . hell, I'm becoming older too!!! . . . . . . . . Nah!!!!

9. kayak

kayak Active Member

I have been thinking that we need to change that arm out to the side styling to straight forward. Each time we do one of those open breaks right next to the rail, I always think we could reach over the rail and sample somebody's beer. The check the audience part is seeing if they are going to give chase :)

10. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

ROTFLMAO . . . I can't top that one! Never thought of grabbing someone's beer!!! I have puched people though . . . .