General Dance Discussion > Competition eligibility

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by alexwills2017, Apr 4, 2017.

1. alexwills2017

alexwills2017 New Member

\A couple of friends of mine entered one of the big dance events competitions and came second, now they have been made aware the couple that came first were inelegable,they can't decide weather to put in a complaint or not, they are disapointed that fellow dancers would want to cheat against fellow dancers but are also aware that fellow dancers would be aware they complained,which could make them look like sore loosers .
    My advice was they were the rightful winners !!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2017
  2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

3. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

They could consult their teachers/coaches and see what the recommended course of action is.

Ideally, this sort of concern could be brought to someone's attention (officially) before the event is danced. After the fact, I'm not sure what can/should be done about it. It may depend somewhat on the type of event being discussed.

4. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

I think for me part of what would go into the decision is why they weren't eligible. Was it because some membership wasn't up to date? Meh. Was it because they were supposed to be competing in a higher division/lower age bracket and therefore had an unfair advantage? That I might do something about.

RiseNFall and Loki like this.
  5. alexwills2017

alexwills2017 New Member

Danced at previous competition then entered a novice / newcomer catagory

6. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Then that was unfair, n'est-ce pas? This was your friend's first comp, and they should have won it the other could played fair. It would be nice to have the prize they deserve.

7. Requiem

Requiem Member

This would depend on the competition.

Many college competitions define 'newcomer' as a specific length of time dancing, without regard for previous competitions. You can still qualify as a 'newcomer' even with prior competition experience, and you can be technically ineligible for 'newcomer' even if it is your first competition.

NDCA allows people to sign up for 'newcomer' for one year after their first NDCA sanctioned competition. As such, you can still sign up for 'newcomer' even with many years of competition outside of the NDCA circuit.

8. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

See also "sandbagging" like pre-champ Standard dancers in Bronze Smooth at USAD comps. But we all know where *that* thread goes. :mad:

Ah well, "It don't mean nuthin'. Not a thang."

9. alexwills2017

alexwills2017 New Member

The rules stated " for people who have never competed before"

10. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

If this was your friend's first competition, unfortunately, I would advise them to let it go. These things happen. Sometimes intentional by the people entering, sometimes not. Sometimes the people running the comps let them get away with it intentionally, sometimes not.

It isn't fair if the rules are broken. If they are looking for truly fair competition, depending on the dance event, they may be in the wrong place unfortunately. So, many times it isn't worth worrying about it, either. If they are new dancers they are better off spending their energy on the things they can control - lessons, practice, comp prep, how they dance, whether they enjoy themselves while on the competition floor, what they learned, what they are working on learning next. If they spend their time worrying about who shouldn't have been in their category, they'll be upset and not working on the other things.

I was beaten in newcomer by seasoned dancers years ago, and I've seen it happen to other dancers since then. Not fun at the time, but I got over it, moved out of newcomer, and kept at it.

11. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

this is sound advice..

12. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

It happens is the truth. I had a newish guy dance bronze standard scholarship at Ohio and he was beaten by a guy that has danced open smooth with his teacher and champ smooth with his wife, both quite successfully for many many years. When we walked off the floor after awards most everyone in the room came to congratulate my student, telling him he had honestly won, even though his trophy said "second". That other teacher may or may not acknowledge that what she did was in poor taste. I am sure she quite happily believes all of her students deserve every first place no matter the cost. But people watching from the outside are not always so blind.

I would tell the OP's friends in question to live and learn, and move on with their dancing. If it is their first event they will have many many more to win.

Borazine and raindance like this.
  13. alexwills2017

alexwills2017 New Member

Yep,think your right, I did message the organiser at Jive Addiction, he was aware of the eligability issue and had been in contact with the dancer who admitted to competing at the Welsh champs prior to competing in the Newcomers mj at the Blackpool Wmjc this year, sad situation seeing as T&Cs clearly stated for dancers who had never competed before, as you say, best to let it go, but these things do nothing to benifit the dance community .

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2017
  14. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

It seems to me that competition organizers May lack the software or resources to properly track the entries to the competition. As a result that responsibility fell on you. It is not like this scenario doesn't happen all the time though. But I could imagine this or thing can be very irritating and I'm sorry it happened to you. I hope the competition organisers will allot resources in the Future to make sure that the rules that they publish are clear and enforceable.

15. jiver1965

jiver1965 New Member

I personally think the integitty of the organisers are called in to question and the integrity, character and honesty of the competitor if very questionable, there's no defending him !

alexwills2017 and DanceMentor like this.
  16. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Yeah, many years ago, at Vol State, I saw a couple that I knew had been competing in gold Latin (because I'd seen them at a couple of other comps) entered an intermediate bronze Rhythm three-dance. Of course, they tore the floor up, dancing some out-of-level patterns, and won the event. It really wasn't a big deal since it wasn't a scholarship or anything, but one other couple that also knew of them was pretty sore about it. Apparently they went to ask them, and were told, "Oh, we've never competed in Rhythm before, so we wanted to start slow." Er, yeah.

(And this was at that time when dancers doing Latin legwork and styling were really starting to dominate Rhythm... we've had threads about that before too... :eek:)

alexwills2017 and jiver1965 like this.
  17. Julie Brooking

Julie Brooking New Member

I totally agree with the initial comment ..... his friends were the rightful winners .... and I wouldn't think they were sore loosers if they were to make a complaint, I hope it doesn't put them off entering more competitions, its so wrong that people feel that they have the right to cheat, especially when they know they shouldn't have entered, unfortunately it happens all the time in all competitions whatever the event. I just hope they can live with themselves.......

alexwills2017 and jiver1965 like this.
  18. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I disagree entirely; if the matter was not brought up to the organizer, s/he almost certainly has no knowledge of it happening—organizers can't be expected to know the level and competitive status of every competitor—and therefore his or her integrity is intact.

Now, if the matter is known, and the organizer fails to act, that would be a black mark.

19. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

If they couldn't live with themselves, they wouldn't be sandbagging.

Heh. Makes me think of youth football with the 5th grade kid who needs to start shaving playing against a bunch of "midgets". Legal? Sure is.

20. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Welcome Julie :)