Ballroom Dance > Competition Makeup

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Ballroom Boutique, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Ballroom Boutique

Ballroom Boutique New Member

Hello!! I have been searching high and low for a tutorial on ballroom comp makeup that includes the names of colors and brands that are being used. I did find two videos that are exactly what I am looking for however, it's in another language and the products seem to be brands we can't get here in the States. I would love a side by side list of high end and drugstore brands along with color ideas for the eyes. I alredy have loads of eye shadow but when practicing with them, I can never seem to duplicate the smooth and flawless finish that I see on the comp floor. Is there a secret eye shadow that I don't know about? Please help!!! Thanks a bunch!!!!

2. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Well-Known Member

I don't think there is a specific "one colour fits all" approach. Even among the "good brands", a lot of it is personal preference. There is a makeup thread in this very forum where many people discuss makeup products (North American ones).

From my own personal experience, aside from the makeup itself, the tools your using (along with practice) are also important. A good makeup brush does wonders ;-P

RiseNFall likes this.
  3. Ballroom Boutique

Thank you Miss Silly!!! Your info is much appreciated!!

Miss Silly likes this.
  4. Ballroom Boutique

Quick question; how do I find the thread on makeup products in this forum? I'm having trouble finding it. Thanks!

5. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Use the search box in the top right. I just tried a search for "makeup," checking the boxes to search only titles and only within this forum, and got a number of threads; some different ones show up with the same search for "make-up".

Miss Silly likes this.
  6. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

SwingingAlong and Miss Silly like this.
  7. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

8. Miss Silly

I remember last-minute having to help a friend at a comp do her makeup and she had those crappy sponge-brushes with her eyeshadow... uuuuugggggghhhh LOL.

I haven't been shopping at Sephora in a while (in person) but they're pretty good about sampling products and the staff are very knowledgeable since they [used to at least] get a lot of product themselves so they've actually tried and used a lot of the inventory. :)

One girl i saw once had AAHHHHMAZING pro-level makeup she did her self. I asked her what her secret was and she said it was "all in the blending" LOL and she also mentioned those blending sponges.

9. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

Happy 2017, everybody!

Ballroom Boutique, I would suggest checking Rachel Macintosh's youtube channel, as she used to be a competitive ballroom dancer and she has a good amount of ballroom hair and makeup tutorials. She does use a lot of Australian brands, but you might want to check out dancecake makeup's instagram. He does a lot of gorgeous looks and I know he uses a lot of what you could call "pop" brands: Anastasia Beverly Hills, Morphe (I'm guessing for the brushes), Huda Beauty, MAC, Jeffree Star, Kylie Cosmetics, NARS, LORAC.

Personally, I think Urban Decay is fantastic for longwear - their founder/creator is very active and personally tests every one of her products by surfing, snowboarding, and doing hot yoga in full makeup.

I know a lot of dancers use Benefit's They're Real waterproof eye liner, which is super black and does have great staying power, but beware - that stuff dries out quickly and, when it does, starts flaking off almost instantly after you apply it.

But also, I am a professional makeup artist and I can tell you that a surprising amount of the longevity of makeup lies in not only prepping and priming your skin, but don't wear water or oil-based products and DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE.

10. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

Urban Decay shadows are bright, long-wearing, and (on me, anyway) sweat-proof. I routine get through 12 hour competition days with UD products.

theAnnelis likes this.
  11. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

Rachel and dancecake are both awesome - I have learned a lot from their videos and was also fortunate enough to have Stefan do my hair and makeup when I returned to pro am competition last February- and of course I saved the photos on my phone :)

theAnnelis likes this.
  12. Dance Mad Helen

Dance Mad Helen Active Member

I am finding that my eye makeup is fine and I use a mix of cheap eyeshadows and urban decay with an essence eye primer.
    My problem is getting foundation not to go patchy during the day I can't afford expensive foundation so going to try loreal promatte next as my Rimmel 25 hour stay dose not work. Has anyone else got any suggestions?

13. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I'm just going to throw out there that I find that I use less of the expensive foundation. I haven't done a per use cost comparison, but I think it's closer than one would expect from the per ml cost. Also, I use liquid on a day-to-day basis, but switch to powder for competitions. Or use a setting powder if I won't be dancing too much. Since I cringe at the price of what I use, I'm not passing along brands....

j_alexandra likes this.
  14. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

What's your skin type? What do you prime/set with?

15. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

I use Revlon ColorStay as my foundation, but I use the 15-hour "Stay Flawless" primer by Benefit under it. And then I use a foundation brush to apply. Then I use a sponge to blend. Then I use the Almay loose powder to set. The primer is the only expensive item in the process but I don't have to worry about my face sliding off or becoming patchy or shiny, etc. I've had the same stick now for years so I'd say that item was worth the investment.

j_alexandra likes this.
  16. rels77

rels77 Active Member

I swear by makeup forever hd foundation. Looks great and stays FOREVER!!!

17. Dance Mad Helen

Dance Mad Helen Active Member

n I use benefits stay flawless primer. my skin is normally quite dry but i just sweat a lot so it looks like im oily

18. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

Sorry it took so long for me to reply! You definitely need to hydrate your skin - there are also skincare serums that'll really help product bind to your face. Also, if your foundation separates on your skin, that usually has to do with mixing bases. Stay Flawless is silicone-based, which a, is additionally drying on dry skin, and b, REALLY doesn't go well with other bases, so if you're putting a water or gel based foundation on top (or anything but silicone), it will separate, and usually very quickly. If you're really attached to Stay Flawless, Makeup Forever HD actually would pair really well with it. Another thing, I actually work at Benefit and found out the trick with Stay Flawless is that you have to apply the foundation before the primer dries, when it's still tacky. Then again, I never use that primer because I'm very attached to the Porefessionals, so you've probably already figured that trick out =P

19. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

I used to use this, liked it very much. Then I tried the MFU Mattifying primer. HOLY COW. Convert! Sephora has travel sizes, so I was able to try it without committing my entire bank account.

And yes, the salespeople at Sephora did try, one more time, to sell me bronzer. Le sigh.

20. Miss Silly

Maybe someone can elaborate on this... I can't remember the details.

Certain foundations (or maybe even setting powders?) can super reflect light so even if it looks okay in person, in a flash-photography setting, this is not ideal since you get some pretty heavy-duty ghost-face happening. This may or may not be a primary concern in a dance competition LOL. But I am curious if anyone knows which products are known for this?