Ballroom Dance > Competitive ballroom - where do you dance just for fun?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Lai Lai, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Lai Lai

Lai Lai Member

If you don't have a partner? Do you ever dance just to enjoy dancing? Or, is it forever never ending perfecting of individual figures and technique in general, which will never be good enough? No music, no happiness, only worries about making a mistake and looking crappy... What's the point of all that if you never actually dance (other than couple minutes on competition floor a few times per year)? Ok, I am exaggerating a bit, but you get an idea.

2. ballroomdancertoo

ballroomdancertoo Well-Known Member

I believe its not where you dance but where you are inside your head. for the "purist" dancing is everyday enjoyment no matter where or when. Yeah, I get your drift, but it comes and goes. the enjoyment is inside your head. there is a myriad of issues that you can be down about but in actuality it's still good because it is what you love. Yeah, no partner, no competition life, yeah, I am still there for years, at first it was all about competition. I thought competition was the only way to test my level against others. but now it doesn't matter. this forum has given me a lot of valuable
    lessons, in dancing and in life. Sorry for the ranting, guess I was in the mood. don't take it too seriously, life's too short!

SwingingAlong and Lai Lai like this.
  3. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Do it all.
    Compete... with pro or an partner

show-dance at local studio with pro partner,am partner, or whomever will dance with you.

Go social dancing and enjoy meeting new people and dancing with different levels.

Each brings its own rewards and challenges. Enjoy

Caroline Skipper, IndyLady and Sania like this.
  4. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

I dance. Socially love that. The challenge of competition forces me to focus. But, where I socially dance provides fun, social friendships and laughter. In the overall scheme of things, this is how I started, and will never stop.

5. Lai Lai

Lai Lai Member

Unfortunately, I have completely lost interest in social dancing (in fact, I'd never liked it) since I began more serious dancesports training. I don't even care about other styles of dance anymore.
    I know it's all in my head, I'm just not able to manage it when roaches take over. ;)

6. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

For sure you won't find a dance partner staying at home. Odds of finding one in your area on a dance partner website is slim. Also low odds for finding a romantic partner who is willing to add dancing to his CV, and if he seems to be interested that will quickly fall by the wayside once rings are on fingers.

Best chance for finding one to to go where people dance and stick it out. As in social dancing. There might be a challenge in breaking the ice, don't go home if you haven't been asked to dance in the first 10 minutes. I can point to an example of this elderly lady, stayed in the studio til most left. As she was one of the small pool of dancers, I asked her to dance. That kind of broke the ice for her and more people asked her. She hooked up with this older gentlemen. IMO they both are terrible dancers but she seems to be happy so it's OK. If a group lesson is offered before the social that rotates partners, take it even if you think you've mastered the basic material typically taught at these lessons. You will have a chance to meet people for a minute or two, and then you can practice your basic movements.

As you get more comfortable in the dance scene and the dance scene gets more comfortable with you, you may find a dance partner.

RiseNFall likes this.
  7. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

OP, I'm not sure what you're looking for if you aren't interested in social dancing. A practice partner? Who is happy to dance through the figures without worrying about the quality too much?

IndyLady likes this.
  8. Mengu

Mengu Well-Known Member

Where do I dance for fun? Everywhere. For me, lessons are fun, solo practice is fun, practicing with a partner is fun, rounds practice is fun, showcases are fun, dance camps are fun, dancing on a competition floor probably has the most down sides ($$$'s and grooming, ugh) but is still fun... I enjoy all of these. Which one of them is not enjoyable for you?

I got over worries about making mistakes and looking crappy within the first few months of dancing or else, I would not still be dancing... I will make mistakes and I will look crappy. Don't care. If a few people out there like my dancing, great, if some hate it, fine... All I care about is self improvement, enjoying the process of learning, and enjoying dancing.

bia, 3wishes, dncergrl2 and 3 others like this.
  9. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

My studio is primarily a social one and has multiple locations, so I am able to attend 2-3 practice parties each week. That is where I have the most fun dancing. If I don't have a partner, I just get out on the floor and do my own thing, whether it's practicing technique/routine or just off-the-wall "is she drunk" stuff (but mindful not to compromise other couples on the floor). I also love Showcases, though that accounts for less than an hour a year on the floor. :D

10. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

At practice. My very favourite times are when I have the studio to myself (and my imaginary partner, who is awesomely talented), preferably in the morning, and can crank the sound system and go full out. Often it's my competition stuff, but sometimes I'm just fooling around with movement and/or show ideas. No one there to get in my way, or judge, or offer corrections that have nothing to do with what might be my focus that day... that's fun.

11. Lai Lai

Lai Lai Member

What a dream - to have a dance floor all to myself while being sure that nobody is watching me. I wish I could find a place like that.

12. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

It often takes getting up ridiculously early on the weekend, but once you haul yourself out of bed and get there, it's perfect. I wish I could have it all of the time.

Someday, I'll win the lottery and will have a ballroom in my house...

SwingingAlong and Mr 4 styles like this.
  13. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

And move to the US

And get an amateur partner

And....

14. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I’ve certainly done all three for extended periods
    1. Social dancer
    2. Competitive dancer (over 100 competitions)
    3. Show dance (10 years performing at Cafe tu tu tango)

Truly they all can be wonderful, and at different times in your life, you may find different motivations.

来来 Let me try my best to say that in chinese ... :) 以前我去过来来的舞厅哈哈
    当然我在生活一直我用三个办法的跳舞
    1。 社交舞
    2。比赛舞 (100 比赛多)
    3。表演舞 (10 在餐厅年多表演舞)
    其实三个可能都厉害,并且在不同的时间有不同的上进心。

15. DrDoug

DrDoug Active Member

I go to the studio and practice on my own. For that matter, I do that even when I do have a partner.

I don't think so. When I dance, I'm always paying some attention to what I'm doing and trying to improve something. Sometimes I enjoy dancing while I'm doing that.

I've never met a serious dancer who didn't think so.

Practicing, paying attention, and trying to improve don't have to equate to worrying about making a mistake and looking crappy. Often when I'm warming up, I'll dance to whatever music is on and play with it and have fun while I'm working on correcting mistakes and trying to look better.

For me, the point is to be able to dance occasionally and think, "Wow, that went better than it has in the past. That was fun!" If I were to turn off my brain and move around without evaluating what I'm doing, how could I have that experience?

Lai Lai likes this.
  16. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

My roots are in social dancing. I've competed; I've done exhibitions; I've taught the occasional group class. I may or may not do any of those things in the future. But I'll always be a social dancer, as long as I'm physically capable. Fortunately, I dance at a studio where there's a broad base of all types of dancers.

IndyLady and Mr 4 styles like this.
  17. SwingingAlong

SwingingAlong Well-Known Member

So, start asking. Offer something in return ( I wash the floor, and sometimes weed the garden at my local hall. I can use it whenever no-one else wants it).

18. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Ditto. This is me as well, couldn't have summarized it better.

19. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

This has varied. At the moment, my fun is from my regular lessons, but I'm sure they'll become a source of frustration again at some point. ;) At times, like some of the other people here, I've had another style that is more for fun (West Coast Swing in my case). Sometimes I have enjoyed social dancing a lot--it's not fitting into my schedule at the moment and I will admit that how enjoyable it is varies. Sometimes taking classes where I was learning, but they weren't a big stretch for me has been fun.

While I am frequently my own source of frustration, you do need a teacher who is a good fit with you in terms of how difficult a task you are presented with, etc.