Ballroom Dance > Competitors need a tan?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Oct 2, 2003.

1. kckc

kckc Active Member

I use a booth for spray tanning and love it. Here are my observations/tips:

1. Spray tan solution only runs if you didn't let it dry thoroughly before getting wet. Once you have showered after each tanning session, it shouldn't run or stain (or only very slightly. I'm a sweat-er also and haven't had much of a problem). Also, it contains a bronzer, so you will see an immediate result that will only intensify with time as the tanner kicks in.

2. Because you have to let it dry as long as possible before showering or sweating (I think they suggest 6-8 hrs at least), I go at the latest possible time in the evening and sleep with the solution on and shower asap when I get up. When all of the sessions are done, I wash the sheets/pillowcases and have never had a problem with stains.

3. For a comp, I go three times. Say I have to travel/be ready Wednesday. I would go Sunday evening, Monday evening, and Tuesday evening. If I didn't have to be wherever too early, I would skip a day in there somewhere.

4. It will last for a week or so if you have exfoliated properly before you started. However, your skin will look like you have a disease as it starts to fade. Don't be alarmed! I don't think it is noticeable to most people and ballroom people will know exactly what it is :)

5. I haven't had an actual person spray me, so I don't know what they do for this, but in the booth scenario, there is lotion available to help block any places that suck up the solution worse than others, esp. between the fingers, around the elbows, the palms of your hands, etc. Be sure to wipe those areas right away when you get out. Don't worry about wiping the solution off- you will still tan. This is where an actual spray-person would come in handy.

Good luck!

2. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

I use a lotion (Neutrogena build-a-tan) that I've found really effective as a supplement to my use of pro-tan or a professional spray tan (I'm a mix of pale European ancestry, so you might find it effective enough to be standalone). The lotion is pretty similar in consistency to sunscreen, so I've found it really easy to apply (although being a guy, it's *far* less important to tan my back). Like others have mentioned, exfoliating is key. Also key for me is moisturizing every day once you're tanned to reduce patchiness (since patchiness is basically the result of dyed skin cells shedding at different rates).

3. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Agree with this. I always have my appointment in the evening so I can hang out at home and avoid the risk of sweat/water until I shower the next morning.

Also, regarding water... make sure you have an umbrella and clothes with a lot of coverage if there's any chance of rain. At all. I had to go back and have my arms redone once because I wound up with a few rainspots. And be mindful of your activities during that 8 hours while you're waiting for it to dry... many of us are on auto-pilot with regard to handwashing, etc. It only takes a few drops of water and bam, the spray tan is ruined.

LOL, I remember the first time this happened I was like wth. I'm glad to know now it's not just me. :)

Yes, don't be afraid to be generous with that lotion. Including bottoms of your feet! And watch where you step - I have ended up with dark brown soles on a few occasions because I wasn't careful. Then I had to warn the massage therapist and pedicurist... embarrassing.

4. kckc

kckc Active Member

LOL I thought about the feet part also. Mine turn an alarming shade of mud. And for some reason, lotion or no, you can't seem to wipe it off. I had to explain the spray-tan thing to a doctor once while I was blotchy. He just blankly nodded. He isn't one of us.

5. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Mid afternoon, say 4pm has become my preferred tan time. Leaves enough time to dry before I go to bed (and if I sweat at night it doesn't stink up my sheets as badly as if I'd done it right before bed) and plenty of time to dry before my morning shower. Saturday competition usually calls for a Thursday tan for me.

raindance and scullystwin42 like this.
  6. Dancing Irishman

Found a great alternative to fake tanning proper this weekend while prepping for our showcase. My coach was kind enough to let me bum the products he uses for comps, which basically consisted of a body spray makeup (he used Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs, in probably the darkest shade they make) followed by bronzing powder (wet n' wild, some dark brown shade) then a sealant (he used hairspray, I'm guessing you could use an actual makeup freezing spray if you didn't want to be cheap). Other than a spot where I WAAAAAAAAY over-applied (should've read directions first), it all stuck through two showcase numbers and an intermission master class in Flamenco (about a half hour, worked up a decent sweat) without noticeably staining a white shirt - and the little that did stain washed out quite easily. There's a very real chance I'll never buy another bottle of ProTan!

7. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

So which body parts did you actually fake tan? I can't imagine doing this to my entire body - just sayin' ;)

Sania and Lioness like this.
  8. Dancing Irishman

Face, neck, and arms. I admit it's probably not a workable solution for latin ladies, though it may be for standard or smooth. Whole process took about 5-10 minutes, so it wouldn't actually be that time consuming to do whole body if you could recruit a helper, and still a massive time and potentially stress savings vs fake tanner proper

9. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Sounds like painting and decaling a model airplane. Basecoat, decals, weathering powders, sealer.

10. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I often use Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs over top of my fake tan on my back to cover imperfections/smooth things out. I agree that it holds up well.

11. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

How does the sally hansen airbrush hold up to heavy sweat? i am like a fountain.

12. Dancing Irishman

Held up perfectly fine for me. I am easily the heaviest sweater in any group class I attend, for whatever that's worth.

scullystwin42 likes this.
  13. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Cable knit?

theAnnelis, Sania, dancelvr and 6 others like this.
  14. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

thanks!

15. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Alrighty.

I got a spray tan for the comp two weeks ago and it came out nowhere near dark enough.

This time, I'm going to a tanner who does bodybuilders. She has some seriously dark tans. I'm considering a violet based one that goes pretty dark, but I'm worrying about looking too dark. The whole concept of "too dark" for ballroom is an issue just by itself. I'd love to take some photos to the tanning lady so that she can judge based on previous results...it's hard to tell whether photos online are taken before or after washing off the bronzer.

Does anyone have an example of what they'd call "too dark" for ballroom, and what would be "just right" for someone doing 10 dance?

16. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I have just wasted about an hour on this website: http://www.selftanning.com/self-tanning-product-reviews/ So fun. And it is a little scary how many of these that I have tried...

Plan for next month is competition colour, which I finally caved and purchased at my last comp since so many rave about it, followed by a layer of versa spray if needed (which is one that I know works on me), topped by a lightly shimmering bronze lotion for latin (and showered off for standard the next day, leaving just the base tan).

I'm DIY-ing it this time - no booth or airbrush - 'cause I want to keep costs down and it's a smaller comp. I'll start tanning either the Tuesday night or Wednesday morning for a Friday + Saturday competition, leaving time for multiple coats or exfoliate-off-and-reapply-to-fix if needed :)

17. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Airbrush spray tan for me, like others have said. Least amount of worry about showering it off and I've never had an issue of it staining costumes. That said though I often always wore a dark costume to contrast with my light colored skin a bit. I never thought I looked great in florescent colors, so I tend to go on the lighter side of tanning. Reapplying tanning for multi day comps? I'd rather not tan at all. All I feel like saying is, "Let there be light!" when the photographer takes my picture. :cool:

18. IngaSv

IngaSv Member

Would anyone who has used Aery Jo be willing to provide the list of ingredients for the tanning make-up? I have super-sensitive skin and I've been searching the ingredients all over the internet with no luck, but I'd rather know before I make the purchase.

19. blackswan

blackswan Member

I always spray tan before comps but also like to use self tanner for at least a few days beforehand, especially on the paler areas in order to have a deeper and more even base. Does anyone have a good back applicator tool to recommend? I usually twist myself into a pretzel and generally get the job done, but there must be an easier way!

20. IngaSv

IngaSv Member

The partner is a pretty good back applicator tool :rofl: (just kidding, couldn't resist the funnies)

blackswan likes this.