Ballroom Dance > Competitors need a tan?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Oct 2, 2003.

1. bia

bia Well-Known Member

I use a "body buddy" -- it's a long strip of vinyl with looped handles on both ends. Works for me, as long as I make sure to turn it to various angles (straight across the back like a towel; diagonally over each shoulder). I haven't tried any of the applicators with long wooden handles.

blackswan likes this.
  2. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Pro-tan was never an issue because you could dump the solution on the applicator and poke at your back until you got good coverage. Often I then took an open dry towel and rubbed across my back afterward for good measure. Aery Jo is a whole nother story though. That gunk is impossible to put on your back without a second set of hands.

blackswan and scullystwin42 like this.
  3. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Google "lotion applicator" - I have one of those I use for tanning lotion (not for dance events, I get spray tanned for those, but for other situations where I could use some color).

blackswan likes this.
  4. blackswan

blackswan Member

Thanks! You mean something like this?

I will give it a try - looks like it might be easier than the handle ones.

5. blackswan

blackswan Member

Thank you; I do spray but I like to supplement it to get darker.

6. blackswan

blackswan Member

LOL, my pro does a lot of nice things for me but not comfortable asking for that ;-)

IngaSv likes this.
  7. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Yes, same thing, though different brand.

blackswan likes this.
  8. blackswan

blackswan Member

Thanks - just found the Body Buddy brand on Amazon as well and ordered.

9. IngaSv

IngaSv Member

Just throwing a general question out there - is it possible to get away with just using bronzer for a competition instead of full-on fake tan spray tanning (for professional levels)? I don't sweat a lot and have super sensitive skin so I'm just thinking about different options.

10. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Depends on how dark you are naturally and what style you dance. Certainly possible in standard if you are of at least medium complexion.

Maybe you could try the body makeup approach - Aery Jo or Sally Hansen leg makeup products.

11. IngaSv

IngaSv Member

Thanks for responding. I'm currently doing both standard and latin. My skin is not dark naturally but tans easily with the sun with an olive undertone so I think you're right, I could probably get away with just a bit of bronzer in standard. For latin I think my tan probably needs a bit more help so I'll look into the make-up that you've recommended. I've heard some people apply normal foundation darker than their skin colour on their body but that sounds really expensive and a little bit gross, haha.

Thanks again! :D

12. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Nah, you definitely need stuff that's made for the body so it doesn't transfer and holds up to sweat, etc.

13. IngaSv

IngaSv Member

Solution: wear a tan-coloured dress (jokes!)