Swing Discussion Boards > Confused about 'ballroom' East Coast Swing

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by FlyingScottie, Jan 26, 2012.

1. FlyingScottie

FlyingScottie New Member

So... I've read all the threads I can on ECS and I'm still confused!

In my studio group classes we were taught 'rock step-triple step-triple step' as the basic move.

In my private lesson with my teacher, he then tells me that above ^^ is the JIVE step, and ballroom ECS basic is 'rock step-step & slide-step & slide'.

Of course, I'm not doubting the experts word.. but if even studios and teachers don't stick to the same basic step, what's a learner to do???

2. ktia85

ktia85 Member

The way I have learned it, ECS is "rock step - triple step - triple step". From what I understand, since I havent really learned the jive the step is "rock step - chasse to the left - chasse to the right"

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

this is probably best addressed in ballroom since you are asking about ballroom ecs...having said that...some instructors start with the rock (as with jive... which is what your group class is doing), some start with the triples ...but it is virtually the same for most intents and purposes...but I have, as of yet, never heard your instructor's definition...which sounds a good deal more like jitterbug or some sort of other single swing action to me... ballroom ecs basic has two triples and a rock regardless of whether you put the rock at the beginning or the end AFAIK

4. Caravaggio

Caravaggio New Member

I was taught that there was "single", "double" and "triple" ecs, but the timing and patterns are largely the same, it's just a variation. I've seen it taught different ways. When we were doing our monthly swing dances at the senior center a while back, a lot of the older folks (70s and up) would do the single step, just because it's easier and requires substantially less energy.

5. FlyingScottie

FlyingScottie New Member

Could a moderator please allow me to post two links so I can show eactly what I am talking about - pretty pretty please???;)

6. mjnemeth

mjnemeth Member

Yes I was taught that there was "single", "double" and "triple" ecs too.
    Also learned single as both rock step step step and as step step rock step.

I triple to slower song and single to faster songs.

Once you've learned ECS you can get confused by west coast, baboa and lindy hop(though I do use a lindy spin in ECS) :) LOL

7. FlyingScottie

FlyingScottie New Member

If you are familiar with ballroom dancers (dot) com site - go look up their open basic position video.

THAT is what private instructor taught me, which to me is different that a triple step, where we were taught after rock step to open to the side for the triple.... here she is closed after the rock step - see?

8. mjnemeth

mjnemeth Member

Oh my get used to it!
    Salsa can be on 1 2 or 3 beat . Some balloom is taught with a prep step (or not) . Ive learn quickstep starting on both the right and left (PS Im male ) . I think the british (euopeans?) men start on the right foot or is that international stye/
    There is American smooth , the 3 level bronze silver and gold , international style . I'm not sure I got that all right.
    I get confused!

Don't be discouraged and at least now you know so don't be suprised ;)
    Enjoy yourself !

9. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

is is possible that we are simply talking here about how far from te standing leg the first step of the chasse happens to be?...because that can vary for a variety of reasons :)

10. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

That's Double Step from the looks of it and ECS as I've always understood it refers to single, double and triple.

ECS triple step is generally taught as triple step, triple step, rock step, but often it's taught by beginning with the rock step; same for either single or double. I guess it just depends on locality, and which studio and teacher, but this is the first I've heard of double step being the "ballroom" ECS.

11. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like the same basic "step" - but the difference is the explanation, or technique. "Step & slide" sounds to me like your teacher explaining ECS technique as the "swingy" or "earthy" action of a triple step as opposed to the knee/bouncy action of a jive. They're both triple steps, but they're two different ways of doing a triple step based on the "style" of swing. At a very basic (i.e. studio group class/intro) level, they're basically the same thing. Again, just reading this description, it sounds like your private teacher is just giving you the technique differences between the two.

As for the rock step, I was originally taught that (in competition, at least, and at the bronze level) ECS starts with the triple while jive starts with the rock step. I have since learned that that is a convenient, but often inaccurate, simplification.

12. FlyingScottie

FlyingScottie New Member

I think you hit the nail on the head here... it just seemed like a completely different step to me, even though he insisted it was just a point of technique :headwall:

Thank you everyone.. the whole swing/jive/ECS/WCS is very confusing to a newbie!

13. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Exactly.... the point of Triple and Single time is, to acommodate the varying tempi of the music ( double time is more of an expression, and usage, as in Tuck-ins for e.g. ) .

14. tangotime

BaLboa.

Only taught( as a general rule ) in Calif. and doesnt really resemble Swing either E or WC.

15. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

i submit that the issue is not so much the difference in syllabi as much as when an instructor either overtly emphasizes or implies that what is being taught is the only right way to do it.

richard powers at stanford puts it this way:

the "langer" referred to is ellen j. langer of the harvard university department of psychology. she specializes in the science and psychology of learning. and her

i submit that if every instructor would state the following caveat: "we teach it this way, but you may find it being taught differently by someone else", there would be no confusion - and you might find students learning things more quickly.

16. tangotime

As the " wag " put it, paraphrased. " Ah.. the place to go to ruin a good education " .

danceronice likes this.
  17. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Is triple or not a didactical (I mean what is best for beginners) or a stylistic question between ECS amd Jive, and their varieties?

18. tangotime

Like most dances, they are both hybrids . Both are "for" beginners primarily due to ( in most cases ) location and country of origin, that is, outside of the US there are very few places where one will find ECS being danced/taught .I do teach the Single time version here for my older age wise students as a watered down version of R and R .

In the chain school system, WCS for e.g. was virtually limited to the west coast schools, in the same franchises Bronze level social .

Jive is the late kid on the block, and its now ( like WCS ) taught more universally statesside ;depending upon ones goals, one may be a beginner in either and or both styles .

The advent of triple swing also may have much to with... 1.. the style of music popular at that period ( early50s ) and 2...the clientele that populated the chain schools in that period. It was more ,Im sure, a pragmatic decision.

To remember, the 40s were the era of " Bop " and that was most unsuitable for the general public over the age of 40 .

19. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

In other words: the openers question is obsolete, anyway she has to learn everything between single and triple step, right?

And could you please give me a rough tree of ECS, english Jive, french Bop, ceRoc, and so on, or is it all the same in the end?

20. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member