Swing Discussion Boards > Confused about 'ballroom' East Coast Swing

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by FlyingScottie, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Partner Dancer

Partner Dancer Well-Known Member

The good instructors would/should distinguish the necessities
    verses the optional/fluff. This is what helps the student
    understand how to elect or reject the ways of various schools.
    Unfortunately, few instructors are able to teach this way, even
    once in a while, party because they were not taught that
    way and partly because they just don't know. Some "coaches"
    do a decent job of it.

For instance, some necessities are the ability to dance
    on one's own feet, the goal of moving smoothly (even if
    snappily), the usage of good timing, the maintenance of
    good connection, etc..

As far as footwork in ECS, the important thing is to aim
    for a nice body "bounce" that has more movement at
    the feet than the head, all the while having the feet
    "carrying" the body and head at the proper angles.
    The typical variables are the amount of body swing
    (which correlates to footwork/legwork such as distances
    between steps), the amount of knee action, the
    amount of topline bounce/swing, etc.. At some point,
    with enough good practice, one should be able to strike
    a balance between all the factors to start dancing very
    comfortably without straining. This will take countless
    hours of training (and perhaps even some injury), just
    like in learning how to spin.

OTOH, there are plenty of "ECS" dancers that can
    barely lift their feet/ankles off the floor, especially
    as they age, but they have plenty of fun anyway.

2. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

1... Triple is probably the most common timing used, but, Single is needed if you wish to dance to faster tempo.

From a social partnership standpoint, one has to begin with Lindy.

War time brought on Jive( american style ) and then " Bop " early /mid50s followed by R and R.

The Ballroom style swing, statesside ( E and WCS ),was also being developed in that late 40s early 50s period ; and then Jive emerged in the early/mid 50s ,as a common addition to the English dance syllabi .

There are too many sub-genres to list, from Shag to Texas Push, all derivitives from the above antecedents.

As in all dance genres, new music brings "new " interpretations of old "standards " .

3. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot tt

but concerning

Has jive as a term also been used in the america before reaching us?

And what about R and R. Always thought that the name was changed to BW?

4. tangotime

The term " Jive ", is thought to have originated with the afro american street slang, as in , "you jive turkey ".. a compliment .

The usage of R and R as an identification, I dont believe will ever be defunct .

Its still taught in the U.K ,under the same "banner" .

5. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I've been checking the notes I have from books through about 1970 (over a dozen), and, based on books written and published in the US, "jive" and "Boogie woogie", as dances. are not mentioned.

"East Coast Swing" and "Rock 'n' Roll" are so similar that I think they are just about the same dance. I din't see "East Coast Swing" used as the name of a dance, however. And I have only come across one use of the term in a 1961 text written in Los Angeles.

I've written this before, and will put it out there again, I think just about every author I've looked at taught single rhythm and double rhythm before going on to triples.

6. tangotime

Hi Steve, Just to put the record straight, I taught ECS on the east coast prior to that date. There were A/M charts done for the E.C. where that was included ; and ECS and RnR , are different primarily in style .

Here are 2 other dances that were seperated by E and W.. Peabody only E and Balboa only W. .. both were in the Gold Syl.

7. Steve Pastor

This reminds me of Skippy Blair telling a story about her and Dean Collins dancing Peabody together. Skippy was thinking, man we are killing ourselves on this one, but neither of them would say, ok we should stop now.

It seems odd, though, that they would call it "East Coast Swing" on the East Coast. Usually, it works like, if you are in California, there is the New Yorker. Or, if you are in Texas, you would call something "California style swing".

8. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

I don't recall now, but what is Peabody, is that akin to Foxtrot, Quickstep?

9. tangotime

Q.Step.. danced in single time ,about 50 bars a minute.

Partner held slightly apart .

here are some names of steps..

Open left box

Loop Turn

Pony in a Circle

Snakeaway

Shadow step

There are more but cant remember them all

10. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Always thought Peabody belongs into the Rag drawer, and Balboa into the Swing one?

11. tangotime

It was always included in the B/room Smooth Syl.. the music was a little more 30s style

12. Steve Pastor

Joe Lanza (aka Black Sheep) wrote that "Peabody was the precursor of the simplified Slicker Dances on the West Coast." "complex intricate dance patterns and the super fast beat used in Peabody. Tommy Dorsey's "Marie" and Benny Goodman's "Sing, SIng, SIng" are typical musical rhythms appropriate for Peabody dancing."

He went on to tell how he was thrown out of the Roseland Ballroom in NYC when he tried to dance it as a teenager.

13. Steve Pastor

So imagine how surprised I was to finally notice that in the 1959 edition of Murray's How to Become a Good Dancer, there is pretty much the same description Haile has in her DanceBook with the girl walking forward forward after the Throwout and in an Underarm Turn in the chapter on Swing!

14. tangotime

Steve, when I think back to the style of "swing " ( really Bop ) we were dancing in the UK, in the early/mid 40s , I can readily see, how ECS could have grown out of that( with some Lindy thrown in ) . It was all, essentially ,a single time dance form, and many of the steps used ,are common to ECS .

B/room is notorious for adapting "street " style dances, and modifying them, to a more suitable social acceptable level ,for the masses.

15. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

also the step and slide idea "forces" you to do swing timing instead of jive timing ( in terms of beat value)