Salsa > Videos > Constructive Feedback on my basic step please

Discussion in 'Videos' started by LovingIt28, Jul 12, 2007.

1. LovingIt28

LovingIt28 New Member

ok

I cannot watch the youtube videos at work so cannot see it uploaded correctly until I go home much later. Crossing my fingers it looks alright ( synchronised the music I put in over the movements so that better work, took ages!!!)

Higher quality (larger file-longer download)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IryvgV8k86k
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IryvgV8k86k

Please post your constructive feedback.

Things I noticed (but I SWEAR I have improved so much since I took this video even just a week ago)

(will be inserted after you guys make your comments [​IMG] )

Ways to improve welcome.

many thanks!

2. Big10

Big10 Member

First of all, I think it's great that you have the guts to post a clip of yourself on the Internet and ask for feedback! :cool: However, it is very difficult to make a true diagnosis since (1) we can't see your basic in the context of actual music and (2) we see your feet for only two full basics during the clip.

Without the music, I'm having to make a total guess about the pace of your dancing (and I'm assuming you dance On1), but it looks like you might rush through your basic -- i.e., not slowing down enough over the 4th beat and the 8th beat. Also, I prefer to see dancers take clearer steps. In other words, rather than just raising your heel on beats 2 and 6, or sliding your feet forward or back on other beats, I think it looks better when the whole foot is lifted off the floor each time. I'm not recommending a high step 8 inches off the floor, but at least raising your foot on each step so that there is air underneath the entire foot at some point. You seemed to make a reasonably clear step going forward with your left foot on the 1st beat, yet merely slide your right foot when stepping back on the 5th beat.

In general, though, I can see why so many women love dancing with you, given your shimmies, body movement, and fun attitude overall. Even in such a short clip, all of that comes through the screen. :D

3. Me

Me New Member

Oh you know? I really can't tell. I need to come there and see myself. It would work better if you put your arms around me while I watched.

What? [​IMG]

4. LovingIt28

LovingIt28 New Member

You big sweetie. Thanks!

:kissme:

5. LovingIt28

LovingIt28 New Member

What a WONDERFUL positive and informative response!!!!

*bows down.

Content:
    -----------
    - pausing on 4. I noticed this a lot too. THANKS!!!
    - clearer steps. MANY MANY THANKS! Makes sense

I practiced this last night and it made a MASSIVE difference!!!

Feels so much better. Will do a follow up video oneday.

Spirit of your post
    -------------------

Seriously, you made my day. I felt like a goose posting as I have only been dancing a little while but then receiving such opportunity and encouragement to improve from your feedback and others (on salsaforums) has REALLY helped.

Many many thanks!!!

6. LovingIt28

LovingIt28 New Member

So I filmed this last night in my kitchen. I mean why cook when you can dance [​IMG]

There is a better longer video but will not get to upload that until later maybe in a week or so.

Constructive feedback much appreciated!!!

*it was GREAT last time. REALLY improved my salsa basic so many many thanks!!!

History
    ---------
    Only one bachata lesson in Singapore. Watched the dancers there too. LOVE their body movement. I have not got it yet but am working on it. The bachata basic done well makes me melt and want to be with my partner like 2 drops of water becoming one. So far tough with imaginary partner but will go to Singapore in October to dance with some drops of water [​IMG]

To view my bachata step in context, you need to know...........

* The pizza story

Went to get pizza after dancing one night. 15 minute wait. So went in the alley behind where no one could see me and practiced my Bachata (invisible partner) plus any salsa moves I am trying to improve. Have done this every week for the past 6 months. So REALLY exaggerating the hip movement (circle to the left, circle back to the right) so that it becomes more natural when I am not thinking about it.

Then out comes the pizza dude to give me my pizza. I said how did you know I was here? Straight faced, the guy says 'powers of the surveillance video camera'

ALL this time the whole shop must have been CRACKING up laughing at me.

Oh well. Still going to dance. Now that I have an audience, I will pay extra attention to my movements so more motivation. What else can I do whilst waiting [​IMG]

THE LINK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbTTlhxr4B0

7. LovingIt28

LovingIt28 New Member

8. gte692h

gte692h Member

You're doing really well, based on both video clips I have seen. The bachata was very smooth, clean. Timing was good too. Only, give yourself time so that your movements become less conscious, and more natural, more relaxed..

You can go a long long way in salsa if you keep your wits about you!

9. LovingIt28

LovingIt28 New Member

MANY MANY thanks!!! Posts like this keep me inspired and pushing forward!!!

THANK YOU!

10. LovingIt28

LovingIt28 New Member

11. LovingIt28

LovingIt28 New Member

POINTS TO IMPROVE

The below areas for improvement were all provided from my small salsa basic step video. WONDERFUL areas to improve. I have practiced them since and found a REMARKABLE improvement in my basic step as a result. MANY MANY thanks to those who provided them 

1) Pause/appreciate beats 4 and 8

- WOW! This has changed my dancing sooooo much. Feels a lot better and fits so much better with the music obviously 
    - Find now that some partners rush through 4 and 8 not stopping and are completely frustrated by me pausing. Not pausing but more quick-quick-slow, not quick-quick-quick-quick-quick-quick.

2) Clearer/cleaner steps (especially beats 2 and 6)

- Part of me needing to lift my knees. Massive difference. The ‘stepping’ helps keep you in time and is a better feel for my partner. Great!!!
    - Need to lift knees from centre of body and not swing feet forward and back

3) Smooth controlled Hip movement

- Yeah. What can I say. I just move and have apparently big hip movements naturally. Perhaps from my martial arts where I did a lot of hip exercises for kicking.
    - GREAT point though about lateral shoulder/upper body movement to balance out the hips. Working on this so that everything flows.
    - Also, brilliant point about the foot and knee placement affecting my hips. Really building awareness of this.

4) Size matters. How big is your…………………..stepping [​IMG]

- REALLY built awareness of this. Thanks. Sometimes I step on the spot as the dance space is so tiny. However I appreciate what is said and must make CLEAR steps 1 and 5.
    - Not just ‘good size’ steps but steps that leave an impression [​IMG]

5) Use one foot as plant when turning (hook step)

- Really helped to think of nail through foot (ouch). And positioning. Worked on this early but neglected of late as I prioritised other things. Great point thanks!!!
    - I noticed that I need to step more (push into floor) for hook step
    - I also noticed that I need to improve my spotting. Whip the head around first.

MANY MANY THANKS!!!

12. LovingIt28

LovingIt28 New Member

Updated video. Hopefully I have improved on my earlier video thanks to your great feedback :)

ok,

* check out my new basic step video. Really experimented with upper body movement to compensate/match the hips. Once again, all your constructive feedback and suggestions for improvement are welcomed and appreciated!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHY-MVe-0bI

*oh and let me know if the music works, cannot test
    song: el kilo by Orishas...

THANK YOU!!!