Dance Articles > Controversial Moves, Controversial Contests

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by SDsalsaguy, Aug 19, 2003.

1. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Reposted, with permission, from Let's Dance LA

Taken from DanceFreak.com

2. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Wow . . . WOW! Interesting, if not shocking reading!

3. Danish Guy

Danish Guy New Member

Throws and dangerous moves don’t belong in Salsa. :evil:

Salsa isn’t Jitterbug. Don’t spoil Salsa with the wild acrobatic shows.
    But if judges didn’t reward it, the prof’s won’t do it, and the amateurs wouldn’t try to copy. :roll:

Throws and dangerous moves don’t belong on any crowded dance floor.
    Ever! :evil: :evil: :evil:

4. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

I've found myself "clotheslined" and smacked in the face by dancers that feel the need to show off. It's not classy and it hurts like h-e-double hockey stick :evil:

5. franceon2

franceon2 New Member

I totally agree thats why for me on2 or on1 the NY east coast style is beautiful. No offense to LA style dancers but the proof is in the pudding(or engeries).

KEEP DANCING

6. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Fair enough....but keep in mind that Enio and Terryl were some of the original "LA style," before that style was transformed by the Vasquez brothers, etc.,...

7. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

I experienced this again the other day. The person I was dancing with (not naming names) wanted to try a move on me that involved me dropping backwards into his arms. I didn't end up getting hurt but he barely caught me. :evil:

8. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Salsa is not the only place this stuff happens. I won't name any names either, but here's my worst/most embarassing ballroom moment. In the middle of a FOXTROT formation rehearsal in a studio with a bunch of lessons going on, my partner (who's actually a good friend) decided that I needed a little extra torque to help me with my spins. He gave me a little push and let me go. Unfortunately, my shoes were slippery after a couple hours of rehearsal with no break.

Down I went, flat on my butt, in front of everybody. The bad thing is he reacted too slowly to even try to catch me.

What can you do but laugh, use your showbrush, and move on? :)