Dancers Anonymous > Cooking from Scratch

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DanceMentor, Jun 8, 2013.

1. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Kouign amman for my pro in celebration of our danciversary. That's three years now, which is sort of a "holy crap" for both of us.

Terpsichorean Clod likes this.
  2. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Leather anniversary - congratulations!

3. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Blueberry pie. Scratch crust with cornmeal, for extra texture.

4. Ailuene

Ailuene Active Member

That sounds amazing!

j_alexandra likes this.
  5. j_alexandra

Bittersweet chocolate truffles, for a birthday gift.

6. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I'm so lazy (I should never have remembered Whole Foods was a right turn out of the studio.) Most serious cooking I've done in a week was coclannon (sort of; green onions and bok choi instead of the normal stuff) and searing steak tonight.

7. j_alexandra

that is the weirdest colcannon I've ever heard of. But I bet it was good.

8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

love days like this where we (I) commit to cooking with whatever odds and ends are left in the house....

thusfar; an egg/egg white bake with last night's leftovers folded in (that would be a mango red pepper salsa, diced tomatoes, gandules (pidgeon peas), and corn with some chicken flavor no doubt leftover...just added a bit of grated cheese....very satisfied.....made for a wonderful brunch with a slice of canaloupe on the side...and more coconut coffee soon

currently baking; a second egg/egg white thingey...but this one has a crust (made of shortening, rice flour and swedish schnapps)....added to the egg is; diced browned ham and carmelized onions, fresh spinach, yellow and red tomatoes, crumbled goat cheese, cinnamon, cloves, salt and pepper...feeling good about it ...planning on pairing it with a lovely sauvignon blanc

9. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Made Michael Symon's Pulled Pork - Used BarBQue sauce (one of the ingredients) produced at our Cal Poly Pomona college campus! Way way good.

10. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Made awaze tibs (ethiopian lamb dish) tonight. Took about 2.5 hours start to finish, but so worth it. It is delicious!

j_alexandra and Joe like this.
  11. Terpsichorean Clod

With injera? :salivates:

j_alexandra likes this.
  12. mindputtee

Unfortunately, no. I had some in my fridge, but it had been there for more than a month and I was concerned as to whether it was going to make me ill, so I decided to toss it. I will have to procure more for further endeavors and remember to stick it in the freezer.

13. Terpsichorean Clod

:mouth dries up: :(

j_alexandra likes this.
  14. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Would you like Marcus Samuelsson's recipe for it so you can make your own in those circumstances? Sure, sure, this is a case where home-cooked isn't really the same. But it's better than nothing.

15. mindputtee

Eh, I don't think it's worth the effort. I looked up the recipe and we don't usually keep all those things in the house anyhow, so it would be just as well to buy and freeze some.

16. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Cooking tonight for my work week meals. Pan fried two kinds of fish (salmon and tilapia) with a small amount of coconut oil, and sprinkled with a bit of smoked paprika and dill weed, steamed a head of fresh broccoli, and made a batch of my grain-less 'cloud' bread. (LOVE this stuff!) Tomorrow, I will toss a bunch of fresh baby spinach and chopped red onion with some grated jarlsberg cheese and low fat sour cream for salads. Yep....going very low carb for the next month. *sigh* But, you gotta do, what you gotta do. And, it gets me cooking again. :)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  17. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Here's a question for all you talented fancy cooks out there. When steaming asparagus, do you peel it first? My mother never did, but I always see it done that way on TV.

18. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Huh? I didn't even know you could peel asparagus.

19. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

No, I don't. A friend of mine--who doesn't like to eat vegetables in any case--had been taught to peel asparagus by her mother. She was cooking for a small group of us and we finally convinced her that those of us who were actually going to EAT the asparagus (everybody except for her) really truly didn't care. It was interested to watch the various expressions quickly cross her face.

dancelvr likes this.
  20. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

I'm about to start a batch of Quinoa and Sweet Potato Pancakes.

JudeMorrigan likes this.