Dancers Anonymous > Cooking from Scratch

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DanceMentor, Jun 8, 2013.

1. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

I have peeled asparagus. Now, I don't bother. Talk about more work than it's worth.

2. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I sometimes peel the bottom third of the stalk, especially if it is older.

3. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

I usually cut off the bottom third of the stalk. I can't stand a woody piece of asparagus. I tried peeling mine this time, and it was nice, but not sure if it's worth the time. I think it depends on the age and quality of the asparagus.

4. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I peel asparagus if I'm cooking for a date. For myself, it's firmly in the category of more hassle than it's worth.

5. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I have never had peeled asparagus. I always thought one of the nice things about asparagus was the nice bite you get from the skin.

dancelvr likes this.
  6. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

I think Julia Child says to snap the stalk and it will naturally break at the dividing point between woody and fresh - seems to work for me and quicker than peeling

SwayWithMe and dancelvr like this.
  7. j_alexandra

I have done both. Snapping wins, for me.

Sania likes this.
  8. j_alexandra

Today's effort: chocolate blackout cake. In 90+degree heat. What was I thinking?

9. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Some people do both.:eek: Snap off the bottom and then peel it up to the where the tip starts. I give JudeMorrigan credit for doing it for a date, but I certainly can't be bothered.

My 19 yr. old son will be living in an apartment rather than a dorm room next year and I realized that I had been derelict in my duties as a parent and he needed to be able to cook a wider variety of items. Today's lesson included being able to tell when a chicken breast is done by the feel when you press on it; he was very relieved when I included double checking by cutting into it after it has sat a bit. I can tell we are going are going to have fun with this (and no, I'm not being facetious).

j_alexandra likes this.
  10. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

No air conditioning???

11. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Instant read thermometer.

j_alexandra likes this.
  12. j_alexandra

Nope. House very old; wired at the turn of the last century. No a/c. Makes for interesting summers. I learned that it's useful to bake at 6am.

13. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Cheap and a lot more accurate than the touch test with poultry or ground meats. ("If it flies, 165." Ground meat like burgers, 155. Pork, 140-ish, and solid pieces of beef to preference, as long as the outside's seared.)

14. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

my latest killer recipes:

homemade meatballs:
    2 pkgs of lean ground beef, one package of spicy pork chorizo
    1 egg
    2 tablspoons evoo
    breadcrumbs finely ground
    minced onion dehydrated
    salt and pepper
    mix it all up and roll loosely into balls the size of a ping pong ball and bake at 350 til firm but still slightly pink inside...sit aside

in crock pot, combine, one small can of sauerkraut, one can of cranberry sauce with whole cranberries in it, two bottles of heinz chili sauce...heat til warm, add meatballs, let simmer low for an hour or so...YUM

asian slaw salad:

two bags of broccoli slaw
    one large pkg slivered almonds
    one bunch of green onions
    one bag of raisins of your choice or crasins
    one btl of panera asian salad dressing

chop three of the green onion greens, combine all ingredients

15. dancelvr

So, I'm making a curry sauce for curried shrimp to go over my "cauliflower" rice for my work lunches this week. I reach up into one of my spice shelves....and...WHAM....something cuts the heck out of my finger. Turns out, it was the food processor blade I never use. I must have thrown it up there when I was clearing up the kitchen in a hurry one day. Holy crud....it wouldn't stop bleeding. I had to put two pressure bandages on the cut, and wear a latex glove to finish cooking. Thank goodness it was a small cut. Sheesh!. No stitches needed, I think. The curry sauce turned out great, though....

16. fascination

17. dancelvr

Yep. But, the curry sauce was worth it. ;)

I'm taking that darned blade, wrapping it in bubble wrap, and stashing it in a storage cupboard. Sheesh!

18. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

That does not seem like a superior storage place for a food processor blade...

19. fascination

thai, indian, ethiopian, chinese fusion tonight.....

in pan A; beautiful boneless pork chops sliced and sauteed in butter, green peppers and diced red onions, then simmered in masala sauce

in dutch oven #1; red lentils boiled in ginger thai vegetable stock, and hot and sour stock....because I accidentally bought one of each

in dutch oven #2; diced potatoes, celery, cauliflower and chicken peas boiled in coconut water and coconut milk

put the chops in the electric skillet, drain the lentils except fr one cup of stock and put lentils and the cup of stock in the electric skillet, drain the potato celery mixture except one cup of the coconut stock, add that mixture to the skillet...

letting it simmer on low the nex few hours to serve over rice whhen dh gets home

20. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Sounds delicious!