Dancers Anonymous > Cooking from Scratch

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DanceMentor, Jun 8, 2013.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

2. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I'll be right over! :D

fascination likes this.
  3. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

My Mom wanted a pot roast. I found two recipes that sounded suitable: Delia Smith's English Pot Roast or Julia Child's Beouf a la Mode. Much to my surprise my Mom chose the Julia Child version. It is within an hour of being finished and I cannot begin to describe how enticing and utterly delicious it smells! Oooooooohhhhhh!

j_alexandra and RiseNFall like this.
  4. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Made ginger liqueur. It still needs to steep for a day or two, but it's goood already.

5. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

Love cooking from scratch! My SO was majorly impressed by that fact. One of our favorite together things (besides dancing and hiking) is cooking. Among our favorites are chili, chicken stir fry, yellow or red Thai curry chicken and veggies, Pad Thai. Just so much healthier and generally less expensive (and in the end, less aggravation) than many restaurants. Got a lot more awareness of what goes on behind the scenes since regularly watching Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares.

6. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Every year about this time, I get the urge to make soup. This year it was pinto bean soup with onions, and split pea with onions and a little barley. Big batches, both. My freezer is stocked!

7. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

"Stock"ed. heheheh

8. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Realized I only had a couple days left and a lot of miscellaneous produce / leftovers in my fridge, and made the snap judgment to make a quinoa pilaf with onions, red peppers, mushrooms, and some seared chicken. The results were so tasty that there's a high likelihood it'll be heavily featured in future rotations as a planned dish rather than an inventive way to burn through my produce drawer.

9. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Soup is a good winter meal for those of us in the warmth-challenged regions - warms you up and fills you up (depending what's in it). I've been experimenting with lentil soups. Not 5-star, but not bad.

10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

dtr did something with tomatoes, onion, ramen, sesame oil, and sriracha last night....probably wasn't particularly healthy but it was delicious if you like things that make your nose run...I too, really enjoy just about anything stew-like in the winter....my mom always made ham and navy bean, with a splash of apple cider vinegar....loved that

11. dancelvr

Soup rocks! My Mom made the navy bean and ham hock soup too. (Also a split pea and ham.) As a vegetarian, I leave out the ham, but I still love it. I have a special seasoning packet I use, and I don't even miss the meat.

I also add lentils to my veggie soup, to give it some bulk and flavor. Lentils are awesome.

12. Dancing Irishman

Homemade mac n cheese while visiting the 'rents...it's a shame my family didn't discover this earlier in our lives, but we're making up for lost time!

Of course, it had to have bacon, broccoli, and roasted red peppers in it to complement the three cheeses.

13. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Can't handle any form of pea soup since a college roommate had way too much if it before a heavy drinking bout. Talk about recreating an "Exorcist" scene... :eek:

14. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Black bean green chile stew. Yeah buddy. Totally vegan and took 15 minutes

15. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

I have a recipe that calls for a very English thing - mushroom ketchup. Of course, it doesn't exist in any grocery stores or supermarkets in my area. So, I found a few recipes and I'll tackle it this afternoon. I just hope that it "cures" in time to use it in the main recipe tomorrow.

16. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

Risotto with a mushroom sauce. Yum - even if I do so say so myself.

17. dancelvr

How did the mushroom ketchup turn out?

18. Dancing Irishman

Got an entire cookbook dedicated to Mac n cheese for Christmas, and I've been on quite the kick with it...not exactly a perfect mesh with my leaner and fitter New Years plan, but it's delicious!

19. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

The mushroom ketchup is pretty good. The best way to describe it is that it's similar to worcestershire sauce. It wasn't all that difficult to make. The really time-consuming thing was that it needs to be strained, and I didn't have any cheesecloth. So I strained it through a coffee filter, which took FOREVER. It's got a really rich flavor and it's supposed to keep well for quite a while, so I'll use it to flavor soups, other sauces, condiment for meat, etc.

dancelvr and Sania like this.
  20. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Wanna post which recipe you used?? Or do you think they are pretty much all the same? Sounds like a great thing to have on hand!