Dancers Anonymous > Cooking from Scratch

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DanceMentor, Jun 8, 2013.

1. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Nope. Make up a batch of biscuit dough, and use a scoop or a couple of spoons to dollop the top of the pot pie/cobbler with the dough. As it bakes, it absorbs some of the juice of the cobbler/pot pie and gets crisp on top, so you have a couple of textures to play with in your mouth.

Back to lurking.

JudeMorrigan likes this.
  2. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Bah, that's not a crust. It's a cobbler.

j_alexandra likes this.
  3. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Cobblers only contain fruit. Pot pies contain meat. "Drop" is as opposed to "rolled." A rolled biscuit is never a drop biscuit.

It doesn't shatter like laminate doughs, which is why I'm not fond of those.

4. j_alexandra

IMHO, pot pie requires pie crust. Cobbler, too. I like biscuits as biscuits, but not atop stew or stewed fruit. Butter, shortening, salt, sugar or not, depending, flour, food processor, water, ice, chill, roll, top. Make it a bit large and a bit thick, and tuck the "extra" down along the insides of the pan, and you get soft and crisp textures.

I feel like baking. Off to see what ingredients are around. I know there are blueberries. Hm. Boy Bait time!

FancyFeet likes this.
  5. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Spinach dip and gluten free brownies are about to start production in my kitchen...

DanceMentor likes this.
  6. j_alexandra

7. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

My first attempt at making pasta sauce from scratch...tinned tomatoes, onion, garlic. Put oil in saucepan...heat oil.

Possibly heat oil a little too much because when I add garlic it catches alight.

That was an adventure. Lesson learned.

j_alexandra likes this.
  8. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Attempting Rocco's magnificent mayonnaise recipe (it's actually non-fat greek yogurt as the base) at 9 calories per serving.
    If it's good...I'll let you know. Dh loves Mayo....and can no longer have it. What's a turkey sandwich without?

9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

10. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Coconut chocolate chip cookies and soda-cracker toffee made today, doing sugar cookies tomorrow, saving the cakes for next week so I don't have to try cramming them in the freezer...also did a lamb roast (to make room in the freezer which so far is good hot AND cold. Tomorrow maybe with rice or pasta. Maybe I'll get more risotto rice and make risotto with it...

11. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

You actually don't want the oil very hot at all, or you'll just burn the garlic (and not because you caught it on fire). Unless your objective is burnt garlic!

Sania and Lioness like this.
  12. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I did some fairly serious (by my standards, at least) baking this last weekend. It was my first lesson with my pro and I DO like to spoil both my instructors and the ladies I dance with on their birthdays and around Christmas. As such, I made an apple-wine cake.

Basic idea -

Start with a short dough round, cover it with apricot jam, cover with a layer of almond sponge cake. Poach apples and raisins in riesling, applejack and maple syrup. Stack on cake. Make cream with gelatin, poaching liquid, more applejack and cream. Add to cake and allow to set. Cover top and sides of cake with whipped cream. Covers sides with sliced almonds. Cover top with sponge cake/raspberry jam jelly roll slices. Coat top with apricot glaze.

Sania likes this.
  13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I don't even like sweets and I want to eat that

14. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Whoops, slight correction to the above. It was my first lesson with my pro since her birthday. I left out that last part, and it may have sounded like I was working with a new pro.

15. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Well, I definitely burnt the garlic.

I guess I'm just used to using a frypan...the oil doesn't heat up quite as quickly then.

16. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

Wow!

17. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

If you are also using onion, cook the chopped onion over low to med heat first, then stir in the garlic for the last minute or so and watch carefully. I find that if the garlic browns at all it will taste bitter.

If only sautéing garlic, use very low heat and watch like a hawk to avoid browning.

BTW, pressed garlic will give a more fragrant / tasty result than chopped garlic and is also easier / quicker if you have a garlic press.

Lioness likes this.
  18. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Making lamb and plum stew for dinner. Even the chicken stock is from scratch, though I didn't make it personally.

19. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

salisbury steak, with all of the veggies in the sauce coming from our garden...which is finally starting to produce

20. anntennis

anntennis Active Member

Baked pear: Cinnamons, butter, bake in toaster over for 20 minutes!

Mushroom omelet: 3 large spoon milk,Baby Portabella Mushrooms,, 2 eggs. Broil mushroom for 10 minutes in toaster oven dish, blend 2 eggs, milk. Pour over mushrooms, bake for 10 minutes until light brown. Fluffy! Simple!Delicious!