Dancers Anonymous > Cooking from Scratch

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DanceMentor, Jun 8, 2013.

1. anntennis

anntennis Active Member

Staffed papers on a rainy day today: 1) grounded meet in the food processor 2) Cooked brown rice in the rice cooker 3) Mixed cooked rice and grounded meet and staffed red and green peppers 4) Mixed fresh tomators and garlick in the food processor with water for source and pour over peppers 5) Cooked in my Toaster Oven at 250 ( slowly, I use it for everything now) for about 1 hr and 20 min
    Came out really delis and colorful.
    ( Is it possible to insert a picture image?)

2. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

The cupcakes and sugar cookies ribboned at Fair and my cupcake dominance continues! (I'm gonna find a winning chocolate-chip cookie recipe if it's the last thing I ever bake.) Alas, no entries in the vegetable growing category. To paraphrase the lolcat, I growed them a cucumber...but I eated it. It looked so good...haven't really had the desire to cook much, but raw vegetables from the garden don't need much cooking and it's that time of year. I will have figure out something for vermont cranberry beans, though, as the plant is producing.

JudeMorrigan and Sagitta like this.
  3. stash

stash Well-Known Member

My boyfriend and I made coconut curry chicken this week. It was freaking amazing. We had to mix up the peanut sauce from scratch as many peanut sauces get imported from other countries that don't have the same labeling standards that the FDA has about listing if the product has any trace of allergens in the mix.

But the batch turned out amazing. Talk about food addiction. I could have eaten that whole pot myself if given the chance. :p

4. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Allergens like...peanuts?

samina likes this.
  5. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Lol, Well yes, but that's not what makes me inflate like a balloon and stops me from breathing. Mainly what they don't say is if the product was made on equipment that also made other products that contain milk or whey protein. That little bit of protein cross contamination is enough to set off a reaction for me.

6. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

I have a new favorite recipe, which is grainless bread. I was wanting to eliminate wheat from my diet, but am a bread fanatic, so I gave this a try. I have to say that I am thrilled with the results, and get to eat my sandwiches every day. And, it's so easy....just four ingredients (eggs, cream cheese, baking powder, and salt). Love, love.

7. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

And the recipe?

8. dancelvr

3 eggs
    3.5 oz cream cheese
    1 tsp baking powder
    pinch of salt

-seperate eggs, whites in one bowl, yolks in another
    -put salt in the whites, and beat them until you can tip over the bowl and they dont slide
    -thoroughly mix cream cheese with egg yolks and baking powder
    -gently fold egg whites into the yolk mixture. mix well, but not too much. the result should look just a little lumpy.
    -with a large spoon, seperate mixture into six portions on a baking sheet. (I use a non-stick sheet)
    -Bake at 300 degrees for 25 mins. They should come out golden brown.

The texture is somewhere between pita bread and a crepe. It's a soft, moist "bread", but it has a lot of body too.

9. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Made pumpkin soup from scratch the other day!

...anyone know how long pumpkin soup lasts in the fridge?

10. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Rule of thumb (and health departments) is refrigerated (between freezing up to 41) is five days and toss it. Unless it's certain things like ready-to-eat sandwiches and salads, in which case it's about three days max. Freezing is more or less indefinite though the longer it's frozen, the more quality declines and more likely it'll get freezer burned.

11. anntennis

anntennis Active Member

How mix up the peanut sauce from scratch? How do you do that?

12. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Blueberry pie. Tis the season.

Also ratatouille. Ditto.

mindputtee likes this.
  13. dancelvr

So, in the middle of preparing my no carb bread, the hand mixer died. I had to 'kick-it-old-school', and whip the egg whites by hand. Um....don't really want to do that every time I want some bread. A trip to the store is imminent.

14. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I'm thinking cherry pie this weekend for precisely that reason.

j_alexandra likes this.
  15. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

There is nothing quite like whipping egg whites to make me respect the heck out of pre-electricity bakers. They must have had arms of cast iron.

dancelvr and j_alexandra like this.
  16. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Blueberry waffles!

17. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Just wait til you have to make your own butter.

j_alexandra likes this.
  18. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

we did that in kindergarten

19. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

BTDT. interesting. an uncle had an actual old-skool churn; we made butter with it exactly once.

20. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

You can also make butter by shaking heavy whipping cream in a jar (BTDT).