Dancers Anonymous > Cooking from Scratch

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DanceMentor, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

And how much did you all enjoy it? :D

2. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

My little brother loved shaking the heck out of it.

3. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Cherry pie accomplished. Vanilla ice cream accomplished. Since I had leftover cherries, pork tenderloin with a cherry balsamic reduction ... accomplished.

'Twas a good weekend for food. :)

Sania and j_alexandra like this.
  4. JudeMorrigan

While my thought about egg whites was not a new one (I think I have it every single time I wind up whipping some, which I do moderately regularly), I think I'm pretty ok with store-bought butter. I think that's one that's not in much danger of making its way into one of my posts in this thread.

5. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Had a prime-vs-supermarket steak taste test last night. Bought two strip steaks, identical size and thickness, marbling as close to equal as possible. One was half the price of the other. Treated them exactly the same; rub with EVOO, couple of grinds of salt, couple of grinds of pepper. Grill blazing hot. 3 minutes per side, then one quick cross to make grill mark diamond patterns.

Guess what? Supermarket was fine, not significantly worse than the prime. Surprised me. Shop-Rite USDA Choice is not a nuanced grade of beef; the prime was a whole lot more subtly flavored, and the nuances made a big difference, but not big enough to spend twice the money.

6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Try "organic" cruelty-free grain-fed. Probly find big diff there...

canismajor41 and j_alexandra like this.
  7. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of grass fed steaks - I usually get grass fed sirloin at Whole Foods and now prefer the flavor of grass fed to grain fed

canismajor41 and samina like this.
  8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Does it taste like chlorophyll? :D

j_alexandra likes this.
  9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

If by that you mean "sunshine fresh", why, yes! :)

Well, comparatively, anyway... just tastes cleaner.

j_alexandra likes this.
  10. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Peanut butter and extra coconut milk :) Real simple!

11. JudeMorrigan

Speaking of peanut butter, I made a batch of lamb mafe this weekend. I needed to do that while okra was still in season.

12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

dunno what that is and I respect your efforts but given that lamb and okra both make me want to hurl...prolly not good for me to explore that

13. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

A Senegalese stew, per google - but I don't eat peanuts so won't be experimenting with the recipe

14. JudeMorrigan

Hah, yes. I'm in the camp of people who consider okra to be slimy, yet satisfying. That's definitely not true of everyone though. :)

15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Only place okra belongs is in gumbo. :p

fascination likes this.
  16. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Deep-fried okra! Mmm. I don't like it otherwise.

17. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

But okra and tomatoes! Mmmmm!

JudeMorrigan likes this.
  18. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Try making mayonnaise entirely by hand without several people to share the hand-whisk load. Buttermaking? Easy, done that lots, it's fun. Hand-whisking? Dear God no. They had us do mayo from scratch ONCE in school just to get the point across. Even a hand-crank eggbeater is better.

The trick, btw, is lock your elbow at your side as you whisk, it reduces fatigue if you don't overdo the upper arm.

19. danceronice

There's no real taste difference with organic. Just a psychosomatic one. Grain-fed versus grass fed will change the texture--grain-fed or grass-fed and grain-finished (a cheaper way to get the tenderness of grain without the cost of feeding it all along) will have more marbling and be a bit more tender, but most people won't taste the difference in most preparations. Another thing that *really* doesn't matter to most people is grade--almost no one buys Prime as it's mostly marbling and has nothing to do with some sort of taste quality. Most restaurants use Choice. (And the USDA grades are all the same thing no matter what the steer ate or how it was finished.)

20. danceronice

I'm making slow-cooker salsa (about a billion-okay, a pound and a half-cherry tomatoes, some mini peppers, sweet bell and ancho, a can of Ro-Tel with lime and chili, Hunt's tomato sauce, onion, garlic, and some salt) and WOW. I got hit by the worst onion. If I'd been at work I'd have used the eye-wash station, it was so bad. Just a plain white supermarket onion, fresh and no bad spots, and OW.

Yes, Ro-Tel. Their regular type also features in my southwest squash mac n cheese. (The recipe someone gave me for it called for tomatoes, I figured, hm, squash is a southwest thing, tomatoes...tomatoes and chilies!)