Dancers Anonymous > Cooking from Scratch

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DanceMentor, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

Can't stand onions personally - nowadays I generally substitute extra garlic - but I know lots of people love them.

I read in a French cookbook once to light a wooden match, blow it out, and hold the stem between your teeth while slicing onions - it does seem to help.

2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Had to google that...

3. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Just made some tikka masala (a kind of Indian chicken curry if you're not familiar with it). Mmm looking forward to lunch tomorrow. It never tastes quite like the restaurant version, but it's good enough.

4. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Am in a different kitchen, in a different city, in a different country, and had to make lunch for guests, so... frittata. Shopping for ingredients, so interesting. Chorizos, onions, potatoes, eggs. The hard part was getting the oven broiler going, to finish the top. It was tasty, but leathery-overcooked, IMHO.

samina likes this.
  5. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

About to cook up 2kg of chicken breasts, to defrost and eat as I need...finding it super hard to eat well on the go, and I love chicken.

6. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Busy weekend for me. I made birthday cake again - this time my own. In a lot of ways, this was the simplest cake I've made in a while. It was just layers of chiffon cake with layers of buttercream. I got a lot of positive feedback on it, including multiple people commenting on how professional it looked. Which would probably be amusing to *actual* professionals. Still, it was tasty and reasonably pretty so I was happy with it. My amateur partner informed me that she wanted me to make her this precise cake for her next birthday. I remain a turrible food photographer though. Also, while one of these days I'm going to actually keep an eye on my oven while toasting almonds, this weekend did not include that day.

I also made margaritas from scratch. That is, no mix was harmed in their making.

[​IMG]

Sania and 3wishes like this.
  7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

What's your "scratch" recipe for margaritas?

8. JudeMorrigan

1.5 oz tequila
    1 oz freshly squeezed lime juice
    .5 oz Cointreau
    Simple syrup to taste
    ice

Add above to cocktail mixer, shake, strain, drink. If you're like me and feel the need to add at least a bit of sweetner, agave nectar works well in place of the simple syrup and fits thematically with the tequila. I just had the simple syrup on hand. All in all, it's not especially difficult, and it has the virtue of being rather less cloying than stuff made with the mix.

j_alexandra likes this.
  9. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

drive to fasc's house bring the limes:eek:

dancelvr likes this.
  10. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I want.

Badly.

11. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

He makes scratch margaritas and pretty cakes, and he dances. Um. Yeah. Sure. He's really the construct of a computer program designed around women's fantasies.

middy, Sania, Lioness and 4 others like this.
  12. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I've met him and can confirm his existence and baking skills! Delicious ginger cookies.

JudeMorrigan likes this.
  13. JudeMorrigan

Aw, y'all are sweet. I won't be able to make it to the Mid-Atlantic this year, but any requests for Nationals, mindputtee?

14. mindputtee

Yes! I want one of those scratch ritas! :D

15. JudeMorrigan

I will see what I can do.

:D

mindputtee likes this.
  16. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

I wanna watch you dance after a few of those:D

nikkitta likes this.
  17. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Currently in the oven.....quiche with tons of fresh spinach, sautéed mushrooms, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, and an egg mixture with light sour cream and parmesan.

18. mindputtee

Cream of mushroom soup. Lots of mushrooms (maybe a little too much, was a little thick), cream, a roux, chicken stock, seasoning, and sherry. Fall is soup time!

Joe and Sania like this.
  19. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Tonight...linguini with three cheese alfredo sauce, chicken, mushrooms, and sundried tomatoes. Everything made from scratch but the linguini.

20. JudeMorrigan

I was feeling very southern this weekend, so I made some country-fried steak and country gravy.