Dancers Anonymous > Cooking?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Pacion, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Pacion

Pacion New Member

What kind of chef are you? How would you rate your skills? What do you like cooking/making? :D

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I'm a lousy chef. I just dabble in cooking, as I do many things.... :wink: :)

Seriously I think I'm an okay cook. What I cook depends on my mood. Right now I'm into Indian style cooking, which means curries galore. Cooked chicken curry yesterday night with a mushroom dish. Am considering going to the grocery store and buying cauliflower to put in a curry today, if I have time. That is the biggest factor that is holding me back, time.

Another time I might get a craving for deserts like spicy banan bread, coconut sweet, bebinca, homemade toffees....and make those...sometimes I do a little Italian...others my body might crave simple foods, like steamed vegatables and salmon fried with no spices...

3. Bob

Bob New Member

I can cook, but I don't enjoy it.

Fortunately for me, my girlfriend loves to cook.

In the middle of the night in an adventure race in indiana she made hmoe made motza ball soup, couscous and vegtables and had home made apple pie!

The team next to us had cold hormell's chili :D

As we were leaving the transition area, one of our team mates decided to turn around and grab a water bottle full of the soup "for the road"!!!

4. dr daffy

dr daffy New Member

i can sort of cook... i don't really know how to cook that many things but i kinda watch my mom cook and then just do what she does. of course, most of the time, it doesn't turn out like my mom's but eh... it's all good.

thankfully for me, my boyfriend's a great cook (isn't it funny, it should be the other way around, lol) he can make pretty much everything. if i weren't such a picky eater, i'd eat everything he makes :wink:

actually, i think that's why i'm not much of a cook- i'm too picky, lol. i barely eat anything healthy... i'm all about the sugar and junk :p

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness! You should have seen me the first month or so after I moved away from my parents' home. I ate JUNK! Chips (crisps) by the bag full. Fast food for dinner every day. It was great! :shock: :lol: I think I was enjoying the freedom more than anything.

Since then, I've pretty much cooked every day. Fast food gets boring pretty quickly.

I'm primarily a homestyle cook -- you know, the traditional food Mommy used to make, only toned way down on the fats. And then, I try something new at least every couple weeks, to keep things interesting. Lots of stir fries. And quite a few internatinal dishes that I borrow from my friends.

6. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

The kind that enjoys having a different international dish every night. For instance, on Monday I crave Indian--so I call my friends and say, "Hey, everyone, let's go to Taste of India!"

Tuesday, it's Thai. So I go, "Let's go to the Tai Orchid!"

Wednesday Italian. Ring. "Hey, it's me. Wanna go to Sole Mio?"

Thursday. "How about La Paz? We haven't had Mexican in a while."

Friday night is salsa dancing. "Let's skip dinner. We're going to the Waffle House afterwards anyway."

Saturday rolls around. "Hey, you know what would be fun? We could do a potluck. Let's everybody bring their own dish and..."

"That sounds like a lot of work."

"I guess you're right. Wanna go to P. F. Chang's?"

"That sounds good, okay."

Sunday--I'm out of money. Guess I can cook up some dogs on the old George Forman grill. Well, that's too much work. Maybe I'll just have a PBJ. Or maybe I can have some people over to watch the game, and they'll bring a pizza....

That's the kind of chef I am!

Cheers,

Genesius

7. dr daffy

dr daffy New Member

haha, i love the way you cook, Genesius Redux. :wink:

maybe if i weren't that picky, i could do something like that, lol.

8. danceguy

danceguy New Member

I love to cook...but I'm not sure how good of a chef I am. I eat pretty simple things and I generally only cook for myself, so its hard to rate. I have always received compliments at dinner parties when I bring something though.

I spent a lot of time in the kitchen with my mother when I was younger, and I've never been regretful of it! One of the most romantic things I like to do is to cook dinner with a lady and then sit down and enjoy it together. :D

Good food and good company is a very important part of life. But if you make it yourself and add the special ingredient of love, then its all the better. ;)

SG

9. ShyDancer

ShyDancer New Member

Unfortunantly for me, cooking was instilled at an exteremly young age courtesy of my large Italian family.

I dont mind cooking most of the time, but all I can cook are good old traditonal Italian recipes. While I love the food and would probably eat it happily for the rest of my life Im lucky my other half is a chef so I get to try lots of new and interesting things.

I find that I always make way to much for 4 people too....too used to watching my grandmothers cook!

10. pygmalion

I usually have left overs as well, Shy Dancer. :oops: :lol:

11. Pacion

Pacion New Member

How are the cardamon pods Sagitta :wink:

SG and GR, can I come over for dinner :lol:

12. NeoDevin

NeoDevin New Member

I'm a good cook, and I usually just make whatever I feel like eating. I alsy usually try to make for leftovers, so that I can get away with not cooking for a few nights.

13. Genesius Redux

Pacion--

If you make it dinner and dancing, you've got a deal! Sole Mio, which I mentioned, specializes in northern Italian--is that okay? Then we're already downtown for Club Caliente--LA-style salsa until 2 or 3 am. After that, if you're not too tired, I'll show you our full-scale replica of the Parthenon in Centennial Park, and we can do breakfast at the Pancake Pantry in Hillsboro Village, which features the finest pancakes in the south. Just let me know when you'll be in Nashville, and I promise you that you're money's no good for the duration of your visit. :D

14. Genesius Redux

ShyDancer-

Your description is making my heart go flutter flutter. You tell that SO of yours to get out and start dancing with you and learn to appreciate that he's one of the luckiest sob's in the southern hemisphere!

15. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

I like taking simple recipes and giving them an elegant or slightly different twist. I think I'm an okay chef however I depend moreso on my tasters in which depending on the item, can be good or bad. :lol: Most of the time, they tell me it's good but I have made a few oopses. :lol: I love making simple desserts and turning them into elegant treats. Example: Banana Pudding, not the typical vanilla wafer/vanilla pudding version but made with cream cheese, french vanilla pudding and shortbread cookies served in a martini glass. I made this for an office luncheon and they loved so I guess it was okay. :D

16. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Apart from salsa, food is my other passion :wink: !

My cooking style is as diverse as my group of friends. Having grown up in multi-cultrual Melbourne, my friends and I used to all eat at each other's houses.....so any wonders my cooking is mainly Mediteranean-Asian with whatever fresh ingredients available. Being lactose intolerance, I am extremely concious of the ingredients/thoughts going into the cooking.

Any body read "Like Water for Chocolate"? How moods/thoughts affect us via food? I am a firm believer in that, so 'thoughtless' chain-store food (fast food or otherwise) are NOT my choice unless there are no other alternatives.....

I love getting up & baking fresh muffins to wake others up (smell!)......

Food is another media which allows me to express myself........even better if there is an audience to share 8) !

17. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

I must say I enjoy eating much more than cooking... :oops: I enjoy eating out, though I don't do that as often as I'd really like.

I'm a lazy cook. My favourite dish to cook is called "let's throw 10 different ingredients in a pot and see what comes out of it after 20 minutes" (I like to surprise myself :lol:). Whatever comes out of the pot keeps me going for 3 nights or so (kept in fridge -- longer if I freeze it). When I haven't got that in the fridge, I usually cook pasta/noodles/risotto.

18. Abriel

Abriel New Member

I can cook anything that goes in a microwave, i seem to burn anything else :?
    oh, I can make toast too! :D

19. Bob

Bob New Member

Yeah, I remember making a spinach, tofu, walnut cobbler... the reaction was ..uumm... predictable.

ok, that never happened but I have often thought of doing something like that at a party just as a joke. You know, for the people who are too polite to tell me that it is the most hideous dish they have ever tasted.

"MMmm Bob, this is really... mmm yeah... what is that a hint of spinach? You know my mom used to make spinach. Well, she never actually put it in a COBBLER but... OMG! LOOK~ HAILEY'S COMET!!!!! <SCRAPE SCRAPE SCRAPE> What? ohh, must have been a bird. Oop all done! mm boy!"

:p

20. pygmalion

:lol: :lol: :lol: