Dancers Anonymous > Cooking?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Pacion, Apr 10, 2004.

1. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Oopsie. Well, now you know.

2. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Eh. We've always put grease down the drain (and run lots of very hot water after it) and never had a problem. Could be we're just lucky, or haven't yet been in one place long enough for it to become problematic. Shrug.

3. etp777

etp777 Active Member

It can be problematic, as parents have had issues with it before. run HOT water after it and put some dishwashing soap in first. Stuff is made to cut grease, and if it can clean up after the valdez spill, it can deal with the grease from your meat

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yepper. I've had major clogs thanks to my deep and abiding love for butter-based honey glaze.

I hadn't thought of using Dawn in the drain.

5. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

Like button.

6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

IMO there will be plenty of fat left in the bottom of the pot for browning onions, even after pouring the out the bulk of it. Onions have plenty of moisture.

7. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

My mom always drained the excess grease left over after browning meat into old, cleaned spaghetti sauce jarred and then pitched them when they were full. I usually just use a paper towel if there isn't too much grease. I'll confess that I've used the "pour it down the drain while running hot water out the faucet + using dish soap" method before myself. I generally try to avoid it, more because I know it would have horrified my mom than anything else. It's funny how that sort of thing can stick with person over the decades.

8. Nina22

Nina22 Member

Does mixing orange, red ballpepper, passion fruit, veggie burger, chicken, edemame hummus, chinese salad, avocado and soy seeds into a huge wooden bowl count for cooking?

Maybe I can get points for the colors instead, eh?

9. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Cooking, technically no, but food preparation, sure.

10. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Question for etp, or anyone else who pressure cans: do you have to worry about foods cooking down even more during the actual canning process?

For example: vegetable soup. If I cook it until it's done and then can it, will it become mush by the time it's finished? Or does it not "degrade" during the canning? Will I end up with mush?

11. etp777

etp777 Active Member

12. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I do that, plus also use sink strainer and empty out all the gook taht collects in the trash.

13. wonderwoman

Would using whole-wheat flour in a stew recipe make any difference? I used it last time but I don't know if there's any reason, the cooks here could tell me, why regular white flour would be better to use? I ask because I have no cooking experience, and no one ever said to use that type of flour... I dunno if it matters.

14. wonderwoman

Also I don't know why we have so many cans of turnip and mustard greens, but I don't know what the frick to do with them???

15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Whole wheat is better for you. Shouldn't make any difference in a stew.

Turnip, or turnip greens?

16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

throw them out. :tongue:

17. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

*Cans* of turnip and mustard greens? Don't get me wrong, greens are good eatin', but in canned form? I'm pretty sure there are international treaties against that. ;) If you don't want to weaponize them, just remember: everything is better with bacon.

18. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Donate them to the local food pantry.

19. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Canned greens make good compost. :)

20. wonderwoman

That is what I was thinking, only they will end up sitting there, nobody wanting to take them home. lol

Turnip greens and mustard greens, for the person who asked.

I could get some bacon though, haven't had in forever lol