Swing Discussion Boards > Count down for the Reno Event

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by dancergal, Mar 22, 2004.

1. dancergal

dancergal New Member

No highway patrol this time. :D :D We drove at a slower pace and stopped a few times. It was nice going home and very sceanic. I'm so glad there wasn't any snow storms this weekend. We were very lucky. I hear Thursday evening traffic was bad from some people that drove up Thursday.

2. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

We also drove slower, especially through the Boomtown area, and that scenery was breathtaking . . . all that snow and the sunshining on everything!

I also heard the same from some that went up on Thursday.

Look forward to seeing you both again very soon.

Are feeling any better?

3. dancergal

dancergal New Member

I think I'm feeling almost back to normal now, Vince. Up there I seemed to be really tired all the time and my throat and nose was really dry. I guess you get used to it when you live up there. On a good note, we saw a couple that we met at the Mountain Magic event in South Lake Tahoe in November. They saw us dancing in the lounge area one evening before the convention started and wanted to know what kind of dancing we were doing. We told them all about the dance convention being held there, so they bought a day ticket to watch. They were so impressed that they started taking dance lessons in Reno where they live. They went to the Reno event too and spotted us. They thanked us for leading them to this kind of dancing and they are having a great time learning. How cool is that? :D :D :D

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Glad you guys had fun. I'm not, let me repeat NOT jealous! :roll: :lol:

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Now, that's a great story. It's funny how you meet people through dancing and going to these events . . . can't wait for Fresno in May!

6. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Happy to read that YOU ARE NOT JEALOUS!

7. pygmalion

8. dancergal

dancergal New Member

Oh and I forgot to mention the Show! What a great show that was, like watching a Las Vegas production with our dancers as the stars. They got to perform a dance routine in the Hilton Theater on stage. I loved it!Especially when the huge airplane came out on stage and the dancers from All That were dancing on top of it! What a cool show that was. Vince, how did you like that? Jenn, I wished you could've seen it! NOW you can get jealous. :D

9. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Sounds like you all had a great time; wished I could have been there, but Reno's a little far for me this time of year (had it have been held in the summer it would have been easier for me). The flyers for this event were at the studio I go to here and as I mentioned earlier I think some local people may have attended.

10. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I said earlier that I thought the show was so-so, but I totally forgot about the plane . . .

Picture if you will, on the world's largest thatrical stage, a complete, full size Boeing 737 mock-up, complete with running jet engines (Fake, but very loud and effective) . . . with two guys on each wing, clogging (maybe some tap dancing included), as the plance taxied in from back stage to the front of the stage. TALK ABOUT IMPRESSIVE.

The dancers were terrific, yet the singers were off-key, and nearly put me to sleep. I sing and play a musical instrument, so I know when someone is flat. But then, they were dancers . . . showing their other talents . . . guess maybe I'm jealous too???

11. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

I know of a magician that works/worked in the Hilton (I believe) he would make the plane dissappear. I made some fake sets of female fingers for his wife/lovely assistant-- trivial I know

12. Oaktown Dancer

Oaktown Dancer New Member

Sounds like a good time was had by all.

No, I did not attend this event. I am attending the DanceSport Competition this weekend...I am soooo excited!

I live in Piedmont and I am laughing like crazy becasue I am terrible with computers, as you saw. I am laughing because I am old fashion...not old.
    I still believe(tongue-in-cheek) that bad people lurk around fun internet sites like these and seek to prey on us unsuspecting happy-go-lucky people. To those ends I could "never" give my name out on the internet.
    My husband would have me comitted( privacy isues, nothing more) and then I would not get to dance much beyond "shadow dancing" at my insane asylum...

Actually, when I read your post I excitedly ran and told him that a very nice man on the internet wanted to know where I lived and what was my real name! LOL again...

He looked at me with his head tilted sideways and s-l-o-w-l-y said "cyber-people" are "cyber-people" and you HAVE to keep them that way...ok?

I tried to tell him that I really felt it was ok and that you guys were sooo nice. He said that when I win my big dancing championship (within 2 years) then I could give out my name, social security number, date of birth and anything else about ME that I want.

Anyway... I see his points and I acknowledge my cyber-fears.

Just call me "Oaktown", I'll answer. 8)

Oaktown Dancer

13. d nice

d nice New Member

No worry, I met several nice people at Reno from Oakland, I thought you might be one of them.

14. pygmalion

I think we all have different comfort levels with our cyber-anonymity. Your husband's fears aren't baseless. On the other hand, DF seems to be a pretty friendly place. I guess it's just whatever you're comfortable with. :? 8)

15. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Just to toss on an extra layer of paranoia:
    What we see of the people on DF are the posters (for want of a better term). What we don't see are the lurkers (quasi-official term). Most lurkers are fine folk too, but not all. In warning her 11-year-old cousin (female) about walking alone to school, my 17-year-old niece said "all guys are bad", to which I protested: "Only a few guys are bad, but it only takes one bad one to ruin your life." Most cyber-folk are nice, but a few aren't and that's all it takes to ruin your life. So then, yes, we always need to be prudent about posting personal information in the clear.

16. pygmalion

Absolutely true. You know, I've wanted to comment about a couple of your other posts. I can see why you're called DWise1. The wise one. I get it. :wink: :D

17. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

It was great meeting you and Wayne as well dancergal. As far as the dance, that was my pleasure entirely! I'm still a WCS newbie as you know, so thanks for the kind review as well! :D

Yeah, the altitude did me in as well... well, that and the dryness! My feet were fine, but my throat was scratchy the entire time.... that and I kept getting out of breath from faster salsas! :cry:

18. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Actually, it came from one job (I'm a programmer) where we kept our data files on diskettes. My user name there was dwise (standard computer center policy of first initial plus last name, like in the Dilbert strip about Brenda Utthead) and that is how I labeled my diskette. When I expanded out to the second diskette, dwise2, I relabeled my first one accordingly, dwise1. It wasn't until I spoke its name that I spotted the unintentional pun. So when I needed a screen name for AOL, I remembered back to that diskette. In heated discussions, I've been attacked and derided by my opponents for my screenname, but you can see that its origin is quite mundane.

However, my words of caution came in part from personal experience when I was a leader in a well-known youth program. Great program that teaches very worthwhile skills and principles which I not only agree with fully but also live by. However, the corporation that runs that program does not live by those principles and directly violate them and their own rules and published policies in order to commit outright bigotry. They made a practice of spying on their volunteer leaders in online fora, the transcripts of which (taken out of context) they submitted as evidence in federal court. My own statements there pointing out that their actions violated their own rules and published policies were used to expel me with extreme prejudice. Nearly cost me my marriage.

So then, I know from personal experience that you never know who's lurking nor what their intentions are.

19. Oaktown Dancer

Oaktown Dancer New Member

I am busy packing but have been lurking...

If you go to GOOGLE and type in your posting name OR any other posters name you will get an ahhh-haaa moment. GULP.

Are you SHOCKED or what???????

I found this out in a REAL frightening way.

Ok, now that we have mass hysteria...let's dance and dance and dance!

Oaktown Dancer

20. pygmalion

I know what you mean, Oaktown Dancer. My username has thousands of references, so I have to add dance forums to get my stuff. But I have googled a couple other usernames. Holy cow! Everything you've ever said comes up in google. Terrifying, isn't it.

I got my ah ha moment early on. I posted something (don't remember what, now :oops: ) and before I could retract or fix the typos, two people from oppostie sides of the planet had quoted me and responded. Yikes! :shock: Talk about the fishbowl effect. *shudder*