Swing Discussion Boards > Count down for the Reno Event

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by dancergal, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Jenn,
    Did you see the one with all the pictures of you . . . :shock:

2. Oaktown Dancer

Oaktown Dancer New Member

Pygmalion:

I am glad you looked. Do you think this should be a different topic so that folks in our dance community should be aware?

As a moderator, you are right? Anyway, as a moderator maybe dig this shocking information out of this thread and put it on front street.

:roll: That I know exactly what and where folks post should not be our little secret...

Actually a friend told ME that she knew what I WAS (all different now!) wearing to the competition...I did not recall telling her. She said, you did NOT tell me, the Internet did. My mouth flew wide open... That was yesterday. She then told me what I told all of you and so it goes...She has EVERYBODY busy pulling up names of folks that they chat with...it is CRAZY!

See what you can do or not. May not be relevant...again, I am new, I mean well but, I am not good with computers and I am"cyber-scared" to boot...Now if those are not two more excellent reasons to dance then I just don't know!

Packing,
    Oaktown Dancer

3. Oaktown Dancer

Oaktown Dancer New Member

:D Oh, d nice...I (GIGGLE) will not be answering to the name Oaktown, as I previously stated while in public, at competitions, at my lessons, while shopping, naw...not doing it. LOL

I'll come up with something...

My Best,
    Oaktown Dancer

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

What!?! And spread panic in the DF ranks? :shock: Just kidding. I'm almost always aware of what I'm typing and who could be (probably is) reading. Even when I type mean stuff LOL.

I think that's why each of us goes through that ah ha moment. Seriously. The panic passes. Don't sweat it. The vast majority of the world has no idea who you are, and they don't want to know. I've found that I have to be most careful when telling personal stories about close dance acquaintances. I never lie about what happens, so I have no fear on that level. But when people do bad things to me, I try to gloss over the gory details, just in case their friends (or people who don't need to know the details) are reading. Better that way, I think.

Also, given how many lurkers we have, I suspect most people know just how open this forum is. Joining can be a scary thing.

5. pygmalion

Not recently. :lol: :lol:

6. alfborge

alfborge New Member

It pleases me to see soo much nice good cuddly healthy sweet paranoia. Be paranoid. It's fun! And then one day when they come to take you away for making a stupid joke about bombs and cia and whatnot you'll realize that paranoia isn't enough. They already know who you are and where you live and what you just ate. And they're not afraid to use it against you. You'll just have to hope that they're occupied with larger fish.

So I agree with Oakland. Just dance! It's fun and healthy and it'll make you forget about the paranoia for a few.

Oh, and to those who participated in the Reno event. I'm not jealous either. I'm going to Herrang in a few months and that'll be more fun than you had. So there!

7. Sarah

Sarah New Member

I have a net friend who's sig contains the statement `<his full name> here, as in real life.' I very much admire this gentleman, and have borrowed his posting philosophy. I don't post anything that I wouldn't say in public to a person's face, and I also post under my real name (but not my full name - I am a little cautious, not being an ex-marine).

Cheers
    Sarah <here, as in real life....>

8. danceguy

danceguy New Member

Do you use those little footnotes when you're talking to people? I could see you starting a conversation, then pulling out a little cue card with the explanation written[1] on it! :D

SG

[1] By the way I think its very clever. ;)

9. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

As alfborge says, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're not really out to get you... :lol:

10. Sarah

Sarah New Member

Aww, you're so sweet :kissme:

Believe it or not, yes. Sort of. And it's not just me. New Zealanders are apparantly the second fastest (after the Irish) speakers of English, and we also have the tendency to `speak in parenthesis'. What I mean by that is that we will chuck a clarification or a side remark into the[1] middle of a sentence, and then resume the sentence as though nothing had happened. Now that just looks ugly and is difficult to read written down as a series of nested parentheses [{<()>}], so I have taken to footnoting instead.

Cheers
    Sarah

[1] Just felt in need of a footnote. I'm better now.[2]

[2]nothing to see here. Move along[3]

[3] like this if you want :banana:

11. danceguy

danceguy New Member

Don't you mean a snide remark? :wink:

Thank you for the clarification! [1]

SG

[1] Must be all the kiwis down there... :wink: :p :D

12. Sarah

Sarah New Member

No actually for once that wasn't a typo[1]

Cheers
    Sarah

[1] Although the remarks are frequently snide ;)

13. danceguy

danceguy New Member

14. Sarah

Sarah New Member

Don't you mean :doh: [1]

[1]doh

Cheers
    Sarah[2]

[2]Mood = silly

15. danceguy

danceguy New Member

Fiesty, these New Zealand gals... :wink: :shock: :p

16. pygmalion

Hmm. I speak in parenthesis as well. I wonder if that means I was from New Zealand in a former life? (raised eyebrow smiley here)

17. etchuck

etchuck New Member

Hmmm... I'm going to guess that all it means is that we all really don't speak English. :lol:

Yes, I find myself embedding parenthetical remarks a bit too frequently (whether we're talking at work [I have a paper and a poster to do {actually a presentation tomorrow}] or "socially" [this board, email, IM {Yahoo, AOL, etc.}]... I think that's because I get distracted too easily).