Country and Western > Counting FW Shuffle in Your Head...

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by Ray Sison, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

When I was taught Fort Worth Shuffle, I was advised that this is one of those dances that (even with experience) you might want to count out...

1-2-3, 4&5, 6&1... The first "1" like a throwaway step...

L-R-L, RLR, LRL... Then R-L, RLR, LRL after that, 2-3, 4&5, 6&1 and so on...

Saying to oneself, "2-3, 4&5, 6&1..." "Walk-walk, 4&5, 6&1..." (I've even said, "Walk-walk, cha-cha-CHA, cha-cha-CHA!)

It's fun to watch people do it (especially in its native city), and I enjoy dancing it on very rare occasion...

It is marked by the man often going backwards, and it has a nice gliding action...

Please correct me, Shuffle experts, if I don't have any of this quite right...

2. Ron AKA

Ron AKA New Member

I see your question has gone unanswered for a long time. I'm new here, and sure no dance expert, but we recently took classes that included the Triple Two Step. From what I can see, Triple Two, Double Two, Fort Worth Shuffle, and Six Step are all names used for the same dance. I see Wikipedia says the Fort Worth Shuffle starts with the Triple on the right foot (for the man). This seems like an arbitrary and unnecessary variation. We were taught to start with the left, like most other dances (Women are always Right, and men take what is Left!).

The Triple Two is essentially the same step count as Jive (or I suppose ECS -- but we learned Jive) - Three steps (two beats), Three Steps (two beats), Step, Step. It is really a slow progressive Jive. Everyone seems to have different ways of counting it, but the one that stuck for me was Trip-le-Step (Step-Close-Step), three steps, two beats), Trip-le-Step, Walk, Walk. Equally good is 1&2, 3&4, 5, 6.

Yes, the man does turn backwards, and we leaned to do it on the Walk, Walk. Man takes a long step, partly turning right, with the second step, completing the full 180. Lady does the same, but takes very short steps to allow the man to pass.

The Triple Two is the regular Two Step (Quick, Quick, Slow, Slow) with the Slow, Slow replaced with Triple Step, Triple Step. But there are twice as many steps in the Triple Two, so it is better suited for slower music in the 100-140 beats per minute range. Regular Two Step (which we have not tried to any extent) is more suitable for 140-200 beats per second.

Hope that helps, and I am not too far off base with my explanation. Just a beginner...

3. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Ron, thanks for your response. And welcome to Dance Forums! I used to dance Fort Worth Shuffle a lot more, but now can only do the basics (after focusing on many other dances). It still is a lot of fun, though...

I am glad that you are learning such a nice variety... :)

4. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Hi Ron, welcome.
    Click the link in wikipedia to see the reference that says it starts on the right foot, and the interesting story that goes along with it. We have a guy here in Portland that lived in Texas for a while and he starts the men on the right foot when he teaches Forth Worth Shuffle.

5. Ron AKA

Ron AKA New Member

Yes, an interesting account of the origin. If that reference is accurate as to what the FWS is then the Triple Two Step count does not work for it.