Salsa > Counting me in? Turning me off!

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Ms_Sunlight, Oct 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

a guy may be insulting you and he may not,such is the dance world no?it helps for some men to count to start off/you may have great timing and listening skills or you may not , i think we all get beat up from time to time out there-but there are sooooooooooo many feels and different interpetations-im verrrrrrrrry skilled at music and dance and its possible for me to get off sometimes-i look for the 1 to 3 great dances for the night, but if not theres always next time :) , not everybody kisses the same oh well maybe we should start a kissing thread :oops:

2. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

There may be sharp movements in dancing, but there are no sharp, isolated actions.

Our bodies have mass and spring to them. Our nervous systems have delays. All of these things combine to make an unprepared attempt at a fast, sharp movement get off to an awkward, uncomfortable start, and bounce to an unclean ending.

If we want to create a sharp movement, we have to do so by compenstating for these physical issues with a longer sequence of actions - preparation, movement, follow-through or arrival. A lot of this is instinctive where one body is concerned, but when two are involved we need to take each other's needs to prepare and conclude into account.

Ballroom latin tends to build the preparing and concluding actions into a continous cycle of movement defined and taught in all its detail - a rumba walk being the most obvious example of the various phases. By carefully managing these, it's possible to produce some quite sharp movements, and by showing the cycle of actions it's possible to keep them in character with the music - you see all of the preparation, movement, and conclusion, with accent on the huge dynamic of contrast between them.

It sounds like salsa movement is in a way simpler, not making as much effort to create extreme contrasts in movement. There the preparation, movement, and conclusion actions are spread over more time, and more similar in appearance - there isn't as marked a contrast between the phases.

In both cases, the movement is either in context of what surrounds it, or it's poorly danced and awkward-looking, and uncomfortable to experience. The difference is only in what colors of movement the dancers choose to employ.

3. africana

africana New Member

not always the case, it depends in the actual song, the desired effect, the lead style, the follower style, the quality and type of connection between the two, the partnering count, the level of skill in both execution and musical interpretation.
    Some contrast looks good, some don't. It depends on the actual moves performed as well as preferences in the desired level of "clean"

Yes, there are lots of variables, lots of possibilities. But I find the combinations exciting. complex but exciting, not frustrating

Yes very true! As the variables change, the dance changes accordingly for the sake of pleasure, aesthetics or personal preference 8)

Of course a lotof freedom goes out the window in the context of performances and competitions. There are certain standards and expectations for taking dance to the stage like clean execution, sharpness, etc

4. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

This thread could have turned out incredible, full of information and different beliefs. However, I think I mis-judged it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.