Country and Western > Country and Western Dancing

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by Spitfire, Feb 5, 2004.

1. AnnieMarie

AnnieMarie New Member

I want to clarify with my coach and my Newcomer Routine. He does have routines that he choreographs and has his Am's learn above the Newcomer level. What he does with me is based on what he choregraphed for myself and my partner he just mixes other things in so I HAVE to follow. We are very limited as to what we can actually do in Newcomer Pro-Am. There is a step sheet he has to go by...so I'm not doing a Masters routine in Newcomer Pro-Am, not even close.

I lapse into anticipating...so he likes to keep me on my toes :)

This was a non-sanctioned event run by the SwingNCountry club in Chicago, so they sold video passes. Yes, more and more the events are not letting people record on their own.

2. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

OK, I got ya' . . . I thought that even though it was a non-sanctioned event that they still went by UCWDC rules???

I still do, although the degree of difficulty has moved up, the same routine as an Intermediate dancer as I did as a newcomer. When you learn it as a newcomer, your steps are very basic. You are judged on the basics . . . many judges do not look beyond this area. If you can't get the correct footwork . . . they won't look above your knees!

Then as you move up, the same routine only changes the patterns that allow more advanced footwork - chasses, lock-steps, swivels, etc - and you begin learning how to have softer arm, where you head needs to be, body language, rib isolations, etc. These are the things you need to have as you move up that proverbial ladder!

3. jxntwinkletoes

jxntwinkletoes New Member

I LOVE CW dancing! The 2step is my favorite! That is how I got started dancing by going to a club that played CW music. I loved to watch the dancers and always wanted to learn how to do what they were doing. My hairstylist befriended me one day after I was crying on her shoulder about a guy. She was a dancer and she taught me some basic steps and introduced me to the guys that were dancers. And I was on my way! Since the dance studios didn't teach CW dancing in my area, I started taking ballroom lessons. Then I started going to the UCWDC events and taking workshops to learn more CW and swing. I definately recommend going to a UCWDC event. You will get a whole new appreciation for CW dancing. These events also have lots of swing comps and workshops as well and you see the best WCS dancers! People think I can really dance and am really a great dancer, but when I go to these events I feel like such a beginner. The dancers there are so much better than the level of dancers here in mississippi. And being able to dance with then of course makes me a better dancer. I hate it that some people look down on CW dancing because they just don't know what they are talking about. It is so much more than line dancing! I have pretty much won over my ballroom friends so that they don't make fun of it in front of me and will even go CW dancing themselves sometimes.

4. AnnieMarie

AnnieMarie New Member

Welcom jxntwinkletoes :) I too fell in love with CW dance. I always loved to watch dance, ballroom, ballet...any type that I consider a more graceful form. Although all styles are beautiful in their own right.

I have seen many people truly amazed at the dancing they see at UCWDC events vs. what they would see on your average saturday night out at the saloon :)

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

And most of those 2-Step dancers that you'll see at a UCWDC event also compete and excel in the Ballroom venues, not to mention the Swing World.

I should issue a challenge to the Ballroom dancers/DF members, who have never, ever did a 2-Step, to try to get it and get it well within a year. It's not an easy dance to get right . . . lead or follow! It's every bit as difficult as any of the Ballroom dances . . . it's the music they'll have to suffer with . . .

6. dancergal

dancergal New Member

In case anybody forgot about me, I'm also a country dancer. I started learning line dancing, couples dances and country two-step about 5 yrs. ago. Mostly just social dancing at a country nightclub. Then 2 1/2 years ago I met my b/f and started learning WCS at a dance studio. I also learned more complicated country two-step moves because our WCS instructor is also a country two-step Pro. I love WCS but I have to have my country dancing "fix" at least once a week or more! It's still my favorite dance.

7. AnnieMarie

AnnieMarie New Member

Update

Hi Everyone,
    Although I check in every day, I don't post as often. I, along with my partner, are gearing up for the Gateway Dance Festival in St. Louis in 3 weeks. This is our first sanctioned UCWDC event. Although we are not competing for an overall title, we are only dancing two-step and WCS right now, it's still intense practice. I am also preparing for my very first Pro/Am competition.

For Pro/AM I am dancing, Two-step, WCS, Cha Cha, and Nite Club 2...we were hoping to be ready with Waltz so I could compete for an overall title, but I'm not going to be ready with the Waltz. I'm a little bummed out, but this gives me more time to really work on it since I don't compete again until August due to other activities.

I'm looking forward to the competition and to lots and lots of dancing. The events make me realize that all the hard work and sweat and frustration is worth it.

8. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hi AnnieMarie. Yes. I've seen you logged in and "lurking" many times. I know you're here, supporting the DF. 8)

Good luck with your comp preparation. Please let us know how it goes. :D

9. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Good to "see" you again AnnieMarie! Good luck with your comp too! :D

10. AnnieMarie

AnnieMarie New Member

Gateway Dance Festival

Happy Monday to all of you. My friend and I had a great weekend in St. Louis. Although competition wears you out, seems like lots of hurry up and wait.

I am enjoying that I did well in my Pro/Am's: (Results as follow)

Nightclub 2 Step- Gold - 1st Place
    Cha Cha - Gold - 1st Place
    Two Step- Gold w/ Honors - 1st place
    West Coast Swing - Gold - 1st Place

In Classic Couples my friend and I competeted Two Step and West Coast, 1st places in both. No qualifications for overall at this event but we will be working hard to ge there.

It is definitely an addictive feeling though. However, tomorrow it's back to the lessons and picking apart the video of our performances.

Have a wonderful week :)

11. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Congrats Annemarie!! How's it going dancergal?

12. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Re: Gateway Dance Festival

WOW!!! Congratulations!!!
    You are too much for words!!!

Add the Waltz, you would, or could have had 1st Overall.

What are you dancing . . . Newcomer, Novice, Intermediate??? What age bracket???

Twp more finishes like that and you can go to World's in Nashville!

When is your next comp???

13. AnnieMarie

AnnieMarie New Member

Vince,
    I am dancing Female Open Newcomer. We were going to attempt to have five dances but we fan out of time to adequately prepare for Waltz. I was disappointed that I wasn't able to qualify for overall. My next commpetition isn't until Chicagoland in August. Lots of time to really improve on what I'm doing. I certainly was not expecting Golds at all, so that was a nice surprise.

In Classic Couples we are competing Open Newcomer as well.

14. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

AnnieMarie,
    That is a real good start, and what a boost for your ego . . .

Put your Waltz on the floor . . . if you have 90 seconds of routine and you can memorize it . . . do it! Even if you just dance it clean, there is the chance that your competition may not, and with all the 'golds' that you did earn, even if you didn't dance it clean, you may have at least placed in the top three!

Remember, as a Newcomer, to really work on your technical - your footwork - and don't get too caught up in your styling. The judges need to see that you can do your technical before they look any further . . .

Shoot for the Gold with Honors in the ones that you have already earned gold . . . and get that Waltz in!!!

Vince

15. AnnieMarie

AnnieMarie New Member

Waltz

Vince,
    That's the thing we are working on starting tomorrow. Had I had more than one hour of Waltz in, my pro would have made me put it on the floor.
    I am looking forward to being able to compete for overall. My partner and I are also going to be working on putting five dances on the floor.

Vince, remember my pro doesn't choreograph newcomer "routines." I learn the basics and then have to do lead/follow so that I don't anticipate.

I am so proud of our results.

16. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Way to go AnnieMarie! :banana:

17. AnnieMarie

AnnieMarie New Member

Thanks Everyone :)

18. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Re: Waltz

I forgot!

The Waltz is so tough without a routine . . . so many steps . . . so many different steps . . . lifts . . . extensions . . . so many head and arm movements.

Too much for lead and follow, especially for a Newcomer! And if you don't learn to anticipate - you won't!

19. AnnieMarie

AnnieMarie New Member

Vince,
    I am sure you know that in the UCWDC for Newcomer divisions there is a set step sheet that we have to learn that is given to the pros. That's all we're allowed to do. No extensions or anything like that..Just basic demonstration of Rise and Fall technique.

He has routines...I just don't get to know them well enough to memorize the step sequence.

Do you go to the Music City Dance Challenge at all? I will be there Labor Day weekend.

20. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

It's been a long while since I wa a Newcomer, but I do not recall such a "step sheet." I remember my Waltz routine quite well . . . chasse's, extension, footwork change to the followers footwork, etc.

In fact, I'm downloading the rules right now to learn what that "step sheet" is. And, AM, I'm not doubting you . . . I just need to learn what it is!

Vince