Country and Western > Country --> Ballroom. What gives?

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by pygmalion, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

AM,
    You keep up these good answers in the C&W forum, and I'm gonna put you in for 'moderator' on that forum . . . nice to read that you are "looking at those rules."

2. etchuck

etchuck New Member

Hmm... wonder if anyone would want to do a similar move with step lists in swing or salsa... hmm... hmm...

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Only if they wanted to be tarred, feathered, and run out of town. :shock: :lol:

4. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

I understand that at one point, there was a movement of people who wanted to keep country dancing "country," and not allow the influences of ballroom. However, this was a small movement and not mainstream.

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I'm not to sure about what I'm about to write, but I think that was "the main topic" of the CWDI . . . country, country, country, and although I tend to agree, the UCWDC does that, but has cleaned up the dancing for those who want to dance more and maybe for those who want to crossover and blend the two.

Many UCWDC dancers also do Ballroom, and one of the best crossovers that I've seen is RJ Sentino (not sure of the spelling of his last name).

6. jon

jon Member

Arjay Centeno

7. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Thanks gahn . . . .

8. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Since I'm a dance and music generalist, I'm all for crossover, sorry to say. But doesn't that mean corrupting the art form, for country music, especially?

9. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

not corrupting..... evolving.... ;)

10. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I agree with the 'evolve.' C&W music is not the same as when, just a few years back, Garth Brooks was so popular.

Now it is close to 'rock and roll,' if not downright 'rock.'

The dancing is also evolving.

The Two Step dance has grown from swaying and a place for the man to put his beer so it doesn't spill to a center up, correct-framed, dance, where the men now have to 'prep' their ladies.

Now it's not a matter of how many beers you can drink, it's how many moves you can do in one trip around the perimeter of the dance floor!