Country and Western > Country Dance Question -- What is Schottische?

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by pygmalion, Oct 19, 2003.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Huh? Never heard of it. Anybody? :?:

2. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Schottiche

Hey, Jenn... we've got two Schottisches that I know of here in Australia.

One is the Excelsior Schottische and I can't remember the name of the other, but I think they're
    New Vogue dances, which, I believe, are Australian evolutions of old English dances. That's probably why you guys haven't heard of them.

But here's an explanation of the dance according to this Schottische website

"In 1850, there appeared in all parts of Europe, the Schottische (shot-teesh), a round dance which had been executed in Bavaria under the name "Reinlander" (rine-lant-er). Two sisters from Odessa, returning from Hungary did a variation to the Rheinlander called the "Hungarian Waltz" which became very popular with all who saw it as well. In the Rheinish (sp?) countries, the Schottische was known as the "Bavarian Polka". Bohemia had called this dance by the name of Polka Tremblante. Fanny Cerrito was known to do the "Cerrito Schottische" in 1851.

However, the word Schottische is from Germany, not Scotland, even though the correct name of the dance is Scottish, (the Germans refereed to it as Schottische for some reason.) The Polka was known as the "Schottische waltz" around 1840 in Germany. The dance was known in France, England, Russia, Greece as well as others as its true name "Scottish," which have led many people to think that the Schottische was from Scotland, it was not.

3. pygmalion

Thanks, MadamSamba. :D

There's a whole world of dances out there that I know nothing about. :shock: Cool. Much more to learn. I happened to come across the name schottische in a listing of instructional dance videos, or I probably never would have heard of it. Hmm. But according to your (very cool :D ) websites, there's a whole family of interrelated dances in schottische family. Wow!

Thanks. I'll peruse those websites of yours some more, and try to get a handle on what'w what. :D

Jenn

4. Black Sheep

Black Sheep New Member

Idaho Shottish

The Schottische was taught to me by my first wife in 1950. We divorcerd soon after. She explained it was a common dance in Idaho created by the Nez Perce' Indians at the time. I don't know why, but I remember it was done side by side with your arms crossed over your partners arms as you held hands so there was no way of escaping, I guess. And it was a walk, walk walk, a cros step to right and cross step to the left with a slight hop on each cross step, and repeated. A very simple version that I learned in the time it took me to see it done once. If my memory serves me right, it was an 8 count step just like the Texas Tommy Swing and just as exiting.
    I think the Schottische Craze has hit Uganda, in Africa or my informants are mis informing me...again. If this information is true, thern we can soon :lol: :lol: expect the Schottische craze to hit Californias like all the Craszies do!
    Black Sheep 'Your friendly Magic Pill Schottische instructor'.

5. pygmalion

I wondered about this, Joe. The videos I saw listed schottische with a bunch of American Country and Western dances. I am beginning to wonder if schottische isn't more like swing -- a bunch of interrelated dances that evolved into separate branches with different music, in different parts of the world. Hmm. I hope some other DF members will chime in with their knowledge as well, so I can figure this out.

6. Black Sheep

Black Sheep New Member

Idaho Schottische

Pygmalion,
    Although I had my tongue in my cheek about the Idaho Schottische, I really did learn it from my first wife in 1950 and the description I gave wasn't far off of what we did. There were other partners in the group and we did travel in a circle; there were four separate circles with about eight couples to a circle. I was nothing like Swing at all. It was a Square dance, and we did cross arms and it was more or less a walking type dance with a little skip in it. I don't remember doing any crossed steps, I just threw that in.
    The dance had no semblance to the Lindy. Maybe the Texas Tommy Swingout, but not the WCS, ECS, LINDY,or another Ballroom dances. It was strictly a Square dance with a Caller, chanting the simple moves. The dance was Da!
    It probably was the main reason I divorced my wife!
    Give me the Nonna Peppa Tarentella Swingout any day!
    Black Sheep

7. pygmalion

Hey Joe! No tongue in cheek allowed when I'm on the quest for real historical information. :shock: :D And no lindy in this forum, either! :lol: :tongue:

Seriously, though, tongue in cheek or not, it looks like you were on to something. Schottische was, at least at some point, a 19th century dance exported from Europe. And, so far, we've found at least two variations in Australia and one in the US. Not bad, in less than 24 hours! :D

8. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

I have a c&w instruction book written by a local dance instructor which describes Schottische this way:

Step to side with your left foot.

Step across and behind with right foot.

Step to side with left and swing right foot in front.

Repeat to other side.

Move foward with four step-hops.

9. pygmalion

Thanks, spitfire. :D

That settles it! I've gotta buy that video, and see what Kathy Blake says. I've seen her peabody video, and in that one, she gave a good description of the history of the dance. Maybe she does the same thing for schottische. *shrug*

10. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Hi Jenn,
    With your present dance skills, you do not need the tape. You can learn that very easy couple dance in under a minute or two! I may have the dance description somewhere if I kept all my C&W teaching books. If I do, I'll get it to you!

11. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Jenn, I found here on the 'Net . . . I tell you, it's really easy!

SCHOTTISCHE (BASIC)

Description: 16-count partner dance:
    Traditionally done right after Cotton-Eyed Joe.
    Most recordings of CEJ are followed by a Schottische song.

Music: Mr Man In The Moon - Patty Loveless - 124
    Ten Pretty Gils - Al Dean
    Sweetheart Schottische - Issac Payton Sweat

VINE L, HITCH R, VINE R, HITCH L
    1-2 Side step left, step right behind left
    3-4 Side step left, hitch right
    5-6 Side step right, step left behind right
    7-8 Side step right, hitch left

STEP L, HITCH R, STEP L, HITCH R X 2
    9-10 Step forward left, hitch right
    11-12 Step forward right, hitch left
    13-14 Step forward left, hitch right
    15-16 Step forward right, hitch left

12. pygmalion

Hey Vince. As it turns out, my public library has that video. So I'm going to borrow it (for free -- a heck of a lot better than $42.95 :lol: ) and take a look along with your step description. Thanks. :D

13. dancergal

dancergal New Member

Hey Vince, we do a version of this dance at the Saddle Rack all the time, but I don't see it in your description. At one point the girl crosses in front of the man in a turn and then back, and he spins her before you do the last steps. Have you done the Schottische before? If you have, you'll know what I'm talking about.

14. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

dancergal,
    I think those are variations on the theme . . . just as in the Cowboy Cha Cha where you spin the girl out . . . some guys do a single turn and some can get a triple in - if the girl is willing and able. I know tha tinmost of the old C&W couple dances. I was never satisfied with just doing it the way it was choreographed! Maybe???

I thought there was something missing, and maybe it was what you metioned.

Thanks for bringing it up!

15. dancergal

dancergal New Member

It wasn't something extra, it was part of the dance the way they taught it. After you do your grapvines, the man turns the girl out, then to his left side and then back, she spins, he walks and it starts over again. Something like that, oh well. I'll have to find the dance steps that we learned. I don't do it anymore because no one knows it, but it's a cute dance and I can pick it up if the man knows it.

16. d nice

d nice New Member

The original Schottische was neither a called dance nor a choreographed. The steps Vince posted are correct for the basic ballroom social dance. There are sorts of spins and turns other patterns that can be danced in it.

The country version varies depending on where you dance it. Some use it as a square dance with a caller, some use it like a choreographed partner dance. These are modern regional variations of the original dance.

In truth Joe is right it tends to be a pretty boring dance. Then again its point was not to instill excitement, but to afford an opportunity for a man and woman to engage in private conversation without being interuppted or overheard by a chaperone.

Not nearless as scandalous as the Vienesse Waltz.

17. pygmalion

18. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

Oh! So that's the step they're all doing on all the songs I sit out on Monday nights when I go dancing at Silverado!

That's a venue in Nashville, BTW, where you can go to do ECS, WCS, Cha Cha, Rumba, Waltz, Foxtrot, Tango, Hustle, etc. every Monday night, but every four tunes or so they play a couple of two-steps followed by a Sweet Heart Schottische. I've always meant to learn those dances, but my brain isn't big enough to fit it all in right now! :lol:

19. ShyDancer

ShyDancer New Member

20. pygmalion

You know. It's funny. When I first started this thread, I was thinking American Country and Western dances. Little did I realize that Schitsche spans he centuries and several continents. 8) Maybe I'll have to actually learn it one day. :? :lol: