Dance Websites > Country Dance World Championships

Discussion in 'Dance Websites' started by DanceMentor, Sep 15, 2003.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Country Dance World Championships
    new website http://www.ucwdcworlds.com

December 31, 2003 to January 6, 2004
    at the Opryland Hotel

RESERVE YOUR ROOM NOW - they are getting booked up!
    special $119 rate. Kids under 16 free! call 615-883-2211 code N-UWD2

Features Country Couples, Line Dance, Swing/Hustle & FUN!

Now online-

Event Schedule, tourist info, online registration, teachers and more!

This is the largest and most fun dance event in the world - check it out!

2. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

This is very much like the Olympics of dancing, albeit the dancing is mostly country and western. Teams of people representing almost every country and then by state march into the grand auditorium. It is a spectacle to see and a thrill to compete in. Expect thousands of competitors . . . competitions can run as long as 24 hours a day.

Dancing is around the clock, and there is Swing dancing for those die-hard Swing dancers who crossover to C&W once in a while!

E-me if you have any questions about the event. I went last year!

Vince

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Are you giong this year? Competing? Sounds like loads of fun. Is there a video of this comp produced? I think I'll be in California, at least at the beginning of this one, but would love to see footage.

4. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

There is a video of this competition in DVD format I believe, produced by Paradigm Digital. It can be found on this site:

www.onlinedancevideos.com

Look under the events section. They have great clips of nearly all their products (try before you buy).

I've watched clips of this and similar events. Interesting, seems like a lot of the C&W dancers incorporate a lot of moves from Hustle and Ballroom into their dances nowadays.

5. pygmalion

Wow, Phil Owl.

Definitely will check out the website and clips. Thank you much. :D

Jenn

6. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I'm not sure if I'm going or not. It's been one thing or another regarding competition this year.

Pretty sure my wife will be going . . . she has done everything right this year and is continually winning first overall (I'd hate to miss the New Year with her being gone, but I would never try to stop her from going). Guess we'll wait and see after the compeition in San Diego to be sure.

7. pygmalion

Cool. Keep us posted. And I'm sending positive thoughts out to your wife. Sounds like she's on a hot winning streak. Excellent!

Jenn

8. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I'll keep you posted for sure. Thanks for the positive thoughts for Carolyn.

San Diego will be a good test for World's competitions. She, being a northern Ca dancer will compete against all the good southern CA dancers, and many of the judges are from that area (no, I'm not making accusations here).

Placing in the top three will mean she is ready to score well at World's. She could pull another first overall in San Diego too! I keep telling her she will!

9. pygmalion

Positive thoughts to Carolyn, then! I really hope she does well. :D

You know, Vince A, you make competing sound like so much fun. One of these days, I may actually consider it. Not today, though. Gotta learn to dance, first! :lol:

10. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Thanks . . . I'll pass that along to her!

[quote="pygmalion]You know, Vince A, you make competing sound like so much fun. One of these days, I may actually consider it. Not today, though. Gotta learn to dance, first! :lol:[/quote]
    Have you ever "watched" a competition? Being "ON THE FLOOR" and dancing for others is 100 times more fun than sitting and watching. The closeness between the competitors is something to behold. You always make new friends. The anticpation of counting down each day until the day of competition is there. The rush of nervousness just before you walk on the floor. The absolute dead quiet the second before the music starts. A heart that beats so loudly it can drown out the music. And lastly,when the music ends and you walk off the floor . . . you feel SO GOOD! YOu could almost kiss the sky . . . you're so high! It'a like multiple big "O"s.

11. pygmalion

Now I know I've gotta try it! You're really good at describing the feelings. And I'm not going to wait for perfection, either. Just slightly better footwork. Gotta talk to my coach tomorrow. No reason why I can't try a newcomer event. Although the amateurs around here who compete, usually compete in their level, and every level below, so a true newcomer has no hopes of winning. Still, just being out there on the floor sounds fun, the way you describe it.

Thanks! :D

Jenn

12. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

There is no perfection. There is no perfect way to do a move. Besides, you do not need a judge to tell you how well you did. Tell yourself!

Not true. I won 4 out 5 as a newcomer/novice. You can too! Just believe you can. Know you can. Practice your routines until they are in muscle memory. You will make mistakes in your performances. Leave them right where you made them . . . everyone makes mistakes. We are, you know . . . human! We do make mistakes!

It IS fun . . . more fun than paying big monies just to sit and watch. I can tell by your writing that you dance very well . . . just "own" the dance floor once you step on it . . . and make sure everyone else knows that you do indeed own it! I guarantee that you will do very well!

Good decision to talk to your coach. Good decision to compete.

Best of luck!

Vince

13. pygmalion

:D :D :D

Thanks. I'll let you know how it goes.

Jenn

14. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Please do. I'm here if you have questions regarding competitions, especially about getting rid of the nervousness and/or turning that nervousness into energy!

15. pygmalion

Cool! I can always use pointers on how to channel nervous energy into positive energy. Thanks.

Jenn

16. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Anything for you . . . :wink:

17. pygmalion

You're a sweetheart. :D I hope your Carolyn knows how lucky she is. :D

18. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Thanks . . . and . . . I'm the lucky one!

19. dancergal

dancergal New Member

Hey Vince sounds like fun. How do I e-mail you? I'd like to know your experience there. Maybe I can talk my b/f into going this year.

20. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

dancergal...please notice that under each of Vince's posts (in adition to a button for his profile and to send him a PM) there's an e-mail button. Hope that helps.