Country and Western > Country Eclectric

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by Gypsy Wishing, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Gypsy Wishing

Gypsy Wishing New Member

Need help with country-western music examples of a;
    4 count swing
    6 count swing
    cha cha
    Samba
    Rhumba (both slow and upbeat)
    2 step
    waltz

and for you music majors, Dolly Parton does a version of Kris Kristofferson's -Bobby Magee, could the music be arranged for a tango

Also someone tell me about dancing a Milonga to 2 step music. Or are we talking single time, like a latin quick step to country western.

2. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Oh, Oh. Me! Me!
    You can think of those really fast country western songs as an opportunity to do milonga.
    Unless you are doing traspie when you are doing milonga, you step on each beat.
    You could call it a one step when you do it in country western, stepping on each beat and doing all of your regular two step moves. I know at least a few couples who do this. It is loads easier than trying to do the quick quicks in two step. This assumes that you will dance as fast as the music, even when it's crazy fast.
    The milonga alternative (without traspie) is also a "one step", but you stay in a closed position. Variations consist of all your fave tango moves. This can really be fun, but you need a partner who knows how to do Argentine Tango and is also willing to do country western. This is not so common.
    I had one partner who I was doing this with in an apilado embrace. People started asking if we were "a couple". (Well, when you dance that close in a CW place...) Yes, she wanted a relationship. I didn't. Next?!

3. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Here is a start for ya'

4. Gypsy Wishing

Gypsy Wishing New Member

Thank you, Steve and Vince.
    Wonderful description of a milonga, I wouldn't say I could go out and dance a milonga, but I think I would recognize one.
    Everyone on all the threads that has the dancing blahs, read Steve's description of a milonga. It's full of cantagious enthusiasm.

And Vince, interesting wed site, I'll keep on using it.