Country and Western > Country Western Worlds in Nashville

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by Larinda McRaven, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Sorry if this is being discussed in other threads (I don't keep up too well in this forum :oops: )... but

Is anyone planning on going to the Worlds Competition this weekend? I went last year and had a bast. It was a very different environment than the ballroom competitions I am acustomed to.

Just would like to hear everyones thoughts if they have been or are going and want to give us a report when they get back.

2. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

We have attended and competed there for the last few years, but this year is a no-go.

My wife, Carolyn, and her Pro have worked on new routines over the past year just for this comp, BUT . . . his wife just delivered their first child last week (several weeks early), and plans were changed. So, we decided to save those big bucks for the coming year's events!

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

How are C&W comps different from ballroom, anyone? (meaning no pressure, Vince or Larinda. :wink: 8) )

4. pygmalion

Oh yeah, and are you back into competing now, Vince? If so, where to next? And didn't you mention a comp in or near Dallas?

(Hmm. Full of questions today, aren't I? :roll: :lol: )

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

"No pressure?"

I'm one of those individuals who love to show off, so I never get nervous in front of a crowd. Playing in a band and being a public speaker gave me that blessing.

The first time I competed there . . . as I stepped out on the floor . . . I'm sure you could see the pee running down my leg. Yep, I got nervous. I literally stopped dancing in the middle of an ECS. I totally blanked out . . . the dance . . . where I was . . . etc.

The announcers had estimated about 7,800 people were in attendance. I knew I was good . . . knew I had a chance to take home the gold since I was coming out of 5 straight first-place overall wins. To make a long sory short - I didn't win . . . but I did win the big bucks in the scholarships awards!

Yes . . . there is pressure.

6. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Since Carolyn's Pro is moving to Arizona, their practices will be limited, as she and Robert will do a lot of flying back and forth on the weekends, and long hours of practice those two days. I volunteered to learn all of Robert's parts, so she can get more practice in at home. This, in turn, should motivate me to compete with Care as a couple.

I've been running and lifting weights, thus leaving the diabetes behind in hopes of eliminating the meds in the near future!

I'm shooting for some swing dance comp in LA in April. You should look into attending . . . that's a short flight from Dallas! I think SD and others may be going.

It must be Friday, eh?

I did mention a comp coming up in Dallas, and that comp is listed on the UCWDC site. We won't be going, as Care is starting a brand new jump Feb 1st . . . no more hours of commuting . . . the job is here in Motown!

7. sunshineboy78

sunshineboy78 New Member

Vince - Who is your wife's pro? Alan Sapperstein? Having competed pro in both arenas, I agree. Country is different. Not so much in the pressure aspect, because everyone feels pressure when they compete. Country is friendlier. Ballroom is about pomp and circumstance, country is about dancing. There is also a much heavier emphasis on social dancing at country comps. They are most similar to swing comps. I'm heading down to Worlds tonight. But not competing this year, sadly.

8. pygmalion

Hi sunshineboy78. Welcome to the forums. :D

9. sunshineboy78

sunshineboy78 New Member

Thanks, is that Pilobolus(sp?) on your avatar? It's very cool

10. pygmalion

LOL. I don't know how to spell it either, but yes, it is. A google image search can be a wonderful thing. :wink: :D

11. sunshineboy78

sunshineboy78 New Member

Yeah, I'm either very lame, or very vain. I just used my face.

12. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Welcome sb78 . . . NY, eh? Why aren't you competeing this year? Who do you normally compete with??? What division in UCWDC?

No, my wife's Pro is Robert Campos, but she has competed with Tony Gutsch and Toby Munroe prior to Robert.

You have some great Pros back there in NY . . . Robert Royston for one, who is the first Pro who I took privates from. He used to live around here.

Have a ball at World's . . . are you staying at Opryland??? What a place . . . you could walk for days in that place.

13. pygmalion

Nice picture. :D And either way, it's nice to have you here.

Just curious. What do you mean by saying that country is friendlier? That's certainly my impression, too. Even when out social dancing, the country crowd seems friendlier to me. What gives?

Anybody? 8)

14. sunshineboy78

sunshineboy78 New Member

My dance partner had money issues this year, she's a single mother. But we're hoping to be back next year, in Sweden. I dance Div 1 Showcase with Lori Ann Greenhouse. I used to dance with Madeleine Hackney and that's who I competed at the last two worlds with.

Country Dancing has it's roots in social dancing, and although ballroom may claim that as well, it is too far removed. Ballroom dancing is about the pageantry. No one expects a ballroom couple to repeat things they do during a competition on the social floor. So it has become less about interacting with other people, and more about impressing each other. Country dance events don't charge as much for entrance, so they are already more accessible to spectators. They incorporate social dancing in between heats and all day long. Workshops enable people to socialize off the floor, as do all night social dancing events. Plus, people make an effort to learn your name and who you are when you do a country event.

I take coaching from Robert, although he is pretty hard to schedule, I started with Meredith Stead, then Debbie Figueroa, then Laureen Baldovi, now mostly Robert. Also, I tend to work with a lot of ballroom coaches for the dances that aren't specific to country.

15. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I've been to several ballroom events, and we were lucky to have anyone say "hello" to us . . . muchless dance with us.

Although the strictly swing crowd is friendlier than the ballroom crowd, I noticed that there are lots of "clicks" there, and the Pros seem standoffish.

C&W events . . . everyone is your friend . . . from the event directors, the Pros, and the other competitors . . . everyone talks to you, will sit with you, will rub elbows with you, buy you a drink, and all of them WILLL dance with you . . . etc!

16. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I believe that you "hit the nail on the head." Great way to look at C&W dancing . . . I think we said some of the same things, so it must be true!

You have taken from some of the "BEST." You know that of course!!!

Laureen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I used to drool everytime I saw her! Now that I'm married, my wife sees me drool :wink:

Tell Robert, the next time you see him, that Vince and Carolyn from Modesto, says "hi."

Do me a favor, and when you get back from World's . . . tell us what we missed??? I like the grans entry of all the competitors . . . it's kinda like the Olympics!!!!!

Thanks . . .

17. cntrydancer2004

cntrydancer2004 New Member

I just returned from World's 2005! It was my first time experiencing it. Wow! I was impressed. My partner and I just started competing in Classic Diamond Newcomer back in September. The parade of contestants felt just like the Olympics!! The glitz and glamour of the hotel was wonderful. It was great to be able to spend the week with the best dancers around. Seeing people from all over the world was really amazing. It always impresses me on how far Country dance has gone. My partner and I hope to be able to go to World's in Sweden. What a place to go and dance!

18. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Hope to see you in Sweden as we are planning to also attend next year!

Glad to read you had a great time . . . that hotel IS awesome, yes???

19. cntrydancer2004

cntrydancer2004 New Member

The hotel was awesome! I love the way the water "dances" to the music. Pretty cool! What division do you and your partner dance? If we are able to make it to World's next year we will make it a point to come watch y'all.
    It is so nice how everyone in our "dance community" gets along. From the pros down to the beginning dancer everyone has fun together and enjoys our sport.

20. pygmalion

Hi cntrydancer2004! Welcome. :D