Ballroom Dance > ~Couple Of Questions...~

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ~Destiny~, Jul 31, 2007.

1. ~Destiny~

~Destiny~ New Member

…Ok, a lot of questions.

Well first off I wanted to say hello to Dance Forums. I know that I have been on for quite a while now, but I have never actually gotten the time to search through it or post.

Ok so my first question is concerning my upcoming showcase in December. I don’t have a clue as to what song to use! The theme of it is “Four Seasons” so the song must be about either spring, summer, winter, or fall. If you have any suggestions, please don’t hesitate! ..And on the topic of music I am also looking for dramatic Paso Doble, Tango, and Argentine Tango music. It’s not extremely important, but if you have any suggestions, please do throw them in.

My next question is about a split decision I am having between buying the Stephanie Professional #92001 Ladie’s Latin Shoe and the Aida Model 070 Ladie’s Latin Shoe. I adore the Aida shoes, but the only thing that is holding me back from actually buying them is that I was once told that to enhance your leg line, it is best to wear a shoe that somewhat matches your skin tone. The Aida shoes only come in Dark Tan Satin. So really it just comes down to color. I mean perhaps I am wrong, but if you have any suggestions as to which color (Tan Satin or Dark Tan Satin) looks best on the dance floor, or as to which shoe works better please let me know!! Here is a picture of the two:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My final question is does anyone know where would be a good place on the Internet to find inexpensive practice clothes? I am also on the hunt for some jewelry, especially crystaled hair pieces. Ok, so again, please let me know if you know of any!

..And please don’t make me go on another scavenge around Dance Forums in order to find my answers.

Can't wait to hear from you all!!

2. black_light

black_light New Member

Hey Destiny, welcome to DF!
    I love the dark tan color.
    There are some girls in my studio who have the brighter tan color, and I think it looks pale... If you're planning to use fake tan, you really don't want the shoe to be brighter than your skin color. If you're not planning to use it, I think it's just a matter of taste then. :)

3. lil glam gal

lil glam gal New Member

hi,

I very much prefer the dark tan satin but is there a website where they sell the lighter satin ones that you have put up?
    Regarding practicewear and jewellry- I have a few things for sale...

Thanks

Jade

4. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Looks like you're a Latin girl, but if you're not, there are a few versions of The Autumn Leaves that are foxtrot-able. Also Dinah Washington, September in the Rain. For waltz there's Secret Garden, Serenade to Spring, although it's instrumental.

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I echo Serenade to Spring and also the darker the better on the latin shoe...and hose for that matter

6. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

"If Ever I Would Leave You" from Camelot. It has all the seasons! Haven't heard it in a long time, but think it's a waltz. If not, a foxtrot.

7. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

You want it to match your skin as best as possible, whatever that is.

I would go with the lighter color and you can always darken it if it is too light. But you cannot lighten it if it is too dark... and too dark is just as bad as too light.

8. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I never would have thought of that... especially since I have to use Mystic Tan. Does it matter with colors like red or gold or whatever that way? Or is it just the brown colored shoes?

9. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Um.... do you have red or gold skin?!? :razz:

10. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Lol... nope! I have very fair skin. I had often wondered if gold was not a good color for me like if gold was to light or something even though I love them personally. However, when I do the Mystic Tan, then I'm going to have to think about that for shoes as well. I didn't realize that at all.

11. Laura

Laura New Member

About the shoes: which shoes fit better? Fit is extremely important. I prefer that the satin match the skin tone...but the shoes that fit me best don't match me, so I wear them anyway because it's that or pain :)

12. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I just thought of a song. I don't know if anyone knows of it, but it's by Jeff Beck, and it's called, Seasons. I just put it in my CD player, and I'm listening to it right now. I had forgotten all about it until you said you were looking for a song about seasons. Seriously in my opinion, it's a really cool dramatic song that would be cool to dance to. And I'm thinking it could be used for AT and Paso if that's what you want to do.

13. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

For smooth shoes, I often buy them in white saitn and have the local ballroom shop dye them for me, so I can get exactly the color I want. But then I alwasy have to special order anyway to get shoes that fit me.

14. rjcbear

rjcbear New Member

With regards of the music I will suggest you to Call Dance World Tn. Their last winter showscase had a theme to the seasons and they could help you with the music.

http://www.danceworldtn.com

15. ~Destiny~

~Destiny~ New Member

Oh my - up to the 4th post I thought for sure I was going for the dark tan satin, but the whole thing just flipped around! So I still don't know where I'm going on that one..but thank you all so much for your suggestions! I really do appreciate it!! ..and I totally do agree that it would look odd to have light shoes on with a full blown fake tan but I guess I'll now have to ask myself if I ever will be using one. Otherwise, the regular tan satin matches my skin color perfectly.

I should also like to reply to some of your other posts:

Sure is. The name of the website is www .DanceShoes4U.com [moderated by latingal - inactivated borderline commercial link]. I will be sure to check out what you have for sale. Thank you!

There is no way I could be classified as either one, I just adore every one of the dances! However with this being said, I did do a rumba for the last showcase and so I thought it would maybe be better for me to do something with a bit of a quicker tempo this time. So..in searching for "The Autumn Leaves" I did find a nice Viennese Waltz that I may use. The song "Serenade To Spring" is absolutly gorgeous, but again I should do something quicker. Thank you so much for your input!

Hmm..well it's a beautiful song, but as I said in the other reply I would prefer something quicker. Thank you so much, though!

I have no idea which ones fits me better - I'm ordering them online! :tongue:

Fabulous song!! I will definatly have to consider it when I must make my decision a few weeks time. Thank you!

Hmm..ok I will consider calling them up. Thanks for the info.!

Any other suggestions/comments/concerns?

16. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Bienvenue...Welcome to the DF. I have been in dance forever. Though I dance/coach/choreograph it all, latin and tango are my specialties. Re music, there is simply too much to discuss here. Feel free to e- or tel me, and I'll be glad to help you.

17. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

agree...I amend my post to say that I wear very dark hose...and dark shoes thus, look better.... I find the dark to look best if one is able to look dark in general... I personally think it looks better on the floor...particularly if one is a big girl(like myself), it is slimming

18. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

pffft.

19. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

You sound like my DW. She's a redhead with extremely fair skin (to the point where it's impossible for her to tan naturally). She has pointed out to me that fair redheads sometimes look very unnatural when they get deep fake tans. She uses some kind of tanning lotion just to give her skin some tone. I'll find out what it is.

20. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Double pffft, to both of you. ;)