Ballroom Dance > ~Couple Of Questions...~

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ~Destiny~, Jul 31, 2007.

1. sewbusy

sewbusy New Member

In response to your "practice clothes" question. (I'm new so I don't want to do anything wrong here) but I am a dancer that sews for dancers so I do have some things if you are interested.

"color of shoes": I am very fair (except for the freckles) and my instructor/partner prefers that I wear the lighter color because even when I air-brush tan myself, I'm still not as dark as my copper color shoes. But I still wear them! But it is because I love the flexable sole and am hard to fit so didn't want to guess at size on an internet site (been there, done that, ouch) so tried on at a comp. so they coud help me special order them. Only flex sole they had was in the copper color. I love them.

Happy dancing!

2. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

Welcome to DF, Sewbusy!

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

4. Tangokid

Tangokid New Member

Hi
    Could someone tell me what the min height for dance shoes heels are for comp work. I've been practising in 1 & 1/2 inch latin heels because I messed my ankle up years ago and feel comfortable with that height. As I'm working towards comp my dance teacher suggested that I start getting used to comp shoes do I need to go to 2 inch or could I dance in 1& 1/2 heels for am comp in the UK.

Tangokid

5. MrBroadway

MrBroadway New Member

I have a recording of Vivaldi's "The Four Seasons" by some group (whose name includes the word BAROQUE) that is an interesting fusion of classical and modern-rhythm - each piece starts out as the classical version, but then (either abruptly or gradually) switches to modern-rhythm, complete with drumset and maracas and other modern instruments. After I first got the recording, I've always been tempted to do a double-dance exhibition/solo using one or another of the tracks (but haven't, yet). You could either use a full-track (both classical & modern), or use just a chunk of one of the modern arrangements.

I'll post the specific album/group info when I get home.

Also -
    I like the paso/flamenco music from "The Mask of Zorro" (1998 w/ Antonio Banderas & Catherine Zeta-Jones). For Argentine Tango, I like the soundtracks from "The Tango Lesson" (1997, Sally Potter actor/writer/director) http://www.sonypictures.com/classics/tango/index.html and "Assassination Tango" (2003 w/ Robert Duvall) http://www.assassinationtango.com/ (you can find the movie references & info online using Google).

6. MrBroadway

MrBroadway New Member

I see that my first response did not get posted yet, but here's the follow-up:

Vivaldi Favorites "The Four Seasons"
    Flute, Guitar and Mandolin Concertos and more
    Ettore Stratta
    The Baroque Pops Orchestra
    RCA ALK1-4980 Victrola Cassette Series (1984)
    Previously released as AGL1-4368
    (Arr. & Adapted by Chico O'Farrill)

cassette has Vivaldi's 4 Seasons as well as movements from 7 different Concertos (concerti?) - arrangements & adaptations are fusion of classical and modern-rhythm. Most tracks start as the "classical version", then (some abruptly, some gradually) add drumset and rhythm instruments for a modern rhythm beat. You could use a portion of one of the "rhythm versions", or use a complete track for a "double-dance".

7. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

MrBroadway, as you can see your first post should now be showing up.

8. contracheck

contracheck New Member

And on the topic of music I am also looking for dramatic Paso Doble, Tango, and Argentine Tango music. It’s not extremely important, but if you have any suggestions, please do throw them in. [/QUOTE]

IMHO, Espana cani is the most enduring Paso music. To me, Espana cani by Andre Rieu and Madrid Paso Ensemble are most dramatic.