Ballroom Dance > Videos > Critique this guy, please!

Discussion in 'Videos' started by Dapenda, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Dapenda

Dapenda New Member

The guy in all black - somehow the frame doesn't seem strong enough, maybe the arms are uneven? # is pinned crooked?

Any critique would be very gladly welcomed.

2. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Do you know the guy? :p
    His elbows look a little too far back. Rise and fall is a bit harsh, and he's gripping her hair on her back in the QS, suggesting hand pressure where there probably shouldn't be so much.

3. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

Just my impression, but I think he'd look stronger if he used more foot pressure and danced more into his knees and into the floor. When a dancer dances too high off the floor, it tends to look brittle.

4. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

Left forearm should be more vertical, but overall quite good for bronze.

5. madmaximus

madmaximus Well-Known Member

Overall, good frame and carriage for the level.

Head is in PP too often when in closed position.
    Left thumb should be level to lady's eye--often dips down.
    Weight seems like it is often on ball of the feet--even when the heels are down (should cycle through heel to ball, or ball to heel).
    Lowering in place instead of in front/behind on 3.
    Shoulders sometimes get ahead/behind the hip--particularly on foot closing steps.
    Need to dance the knees.

m

6. Laura

Laura New Member

I do! :)

Overall, right on target for Bronze, the thing that stands out for me is that the rise and fall is rather abrupt. Keep up the good work!

7. swan

swan Member

I suspect he's trying to stay in his left position, but ended up only the head turned left & ended up in PP position.

Agreed. The other way to put it would be his left forearm was too forward.

As for his elbows, his left elbow actually stayed in more or less in the right position. His right elbow did go back quite often.

and flex a bit more the hip joint at the same time.

But definitely good overall for this level!

Ditto!

8. Laura

Laura New Member

Dapenda, you are coming back for the CA State DanceSport Championships in October, right?

I'm about to put all the info on the web site...will post in the "Events" section here when it's ready. Anyway, we'll have separate Bronze and Silver Syllabus events this time, rather than combining them like we did at Summer Spectacular. And the fields will be larger, as the college students will be back in town (we've been known to have four rounds for Bronze Standard, and three or four for Silver, in the past). Get ready!

9. Dapenda

Dapenda New Member

Wow! I ought to grab my checkbook and pay you guys for so much feedback. Thanks so much everyone.

These will take me awhile to read each post carefully, digest and then try my best to implement.

Laura, I'll look up the info for that event first. I just joined on Saturday so I don't know much yet about the events by USA Dance or if I'll be ready with a foxtrot and tango by then.

Ahem.. I meant that guy is really grateful for all the awesome feedback

10. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

:p Tell that guy that he held his own against the Silver/Gold dancers on the floor. Hardly seems fair, does it? But I know some comps have to combine events like that. You - I mean he - looked at ease and unruffled.

11. Laura

Laura New Member

Well, if you get the Foxtrot, you can do Silver (it's W/F/Q). If not...come on down anyway! :) Bronze will still be W/Q.

Hope to see you! And nice meeting you! And most of all, thanks for sharing your video!

12. Laura

Laura New Member

That guy was dancing in a Bronze/Silver combined event that used just Waltz and Quickstep. No Gold dancers.

We combined the Bronze & Silver events because we needed to fit the competition into six hours -- 3pm-9pm. Usually our competitions start around 10am and get over around midnight, and in those we offer a more levels and age groups. This was our first time at a new location, and historically our August comps are small anyway, so we thought we'd keep things very simple and have a social party afterwards from 9pm-midnight. It seems to have all worked out quite well. I saw a bunch of newbies who have never come to our events before -- Bronze/Silver had enough couples for a semi-final, which is good considering that this was a tiny, inexpensive, walk-in registration comp. The Summer Spectacular was basically a dry run for a larger comp we will have at the same location in late October.

I very much appreciate Dapenda coming up and saying "hi," and being so enthusiastic. I love to see this, and am looking forward to seeing you and your lovely partner dance again!

I also very much appreciate the kind of feedback people are giving Dapenda. It didn't used to be that online forums were so supportive when people would post videos or pictures. This kind of support is a great way to make newbies to the forums and to competitive dancing feel welcome and accepted.

13. latingal

latingal Well-Known Member

A credit to the members of the DF community, thanks to all of you!

14. Dapenda

Dapenda New Member

are you saying the back is either over-arched or hunched?

actually I thought about it, I think you're saying that the body leans too far back or forward when it's supposedly producing metronomic swing - is that it?

Btw, here's something embrassing, I didn't realized that my partner lost her hair piece at the end of the clip (because I was unknowingly gripping on her hair during the quickstep), so when I saw her move her head with the corner of my eye I thought she bowed and so did I in an attempt to be in sync with her :headwall:

15. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Not quite fair for me ( a coach ) to make too much criticisim , as I do not know the length of time he ,and or his partner, have been together .

How often do they practice, etc. ( plus, cant see the whole picture ALL the time )
    First impression ,lady not enough into mans right arm.

Double rev. spin-- feet were apart ( common fault )

Floor craft ( needs developing )

NOT dancing from the ankles .

The lock steps need attention- ask your coach to re shape

Look like your enjoying it-- even if youre not !

I suspect, from some posts, that you are "new " to the comp. floor . So ,overall , good potential ( and the lady ) Finally- RELAX-- its only dancing !

16. madmaximus

Agreed, he's trying to stay left (a bit exaggerated).

And good reminder on the hip joint when flexing the knees.

m

17. madmaximus

No, not the swing, but the fundamental relationship of the shoulders to the hips, and how they affect the topline during movement.

For instance.
    When closing on man's steps 2-3 of the nat turn, if your hip (as you put weight onto the left foot) is farther to the left than your left shoulder, an unsightly jerk of the elbows appear (the jerk is the symptom, the hip being farther is the cause).

m

18. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Sorry if I was mistaken. I could have sworn I saw some of the same couples dancing in the Gold event(s). Maybe the outfits just looked similar.

19. Laura

Laura New Member

You did. We only ran two levels, one was Bronze & Silver Combined, the other was Gold. So, some people in the Bronze & Silver Combined event also danced up into the Gold event.

20. Josh

Josh Active Member

1) He and his partner are very square--not nearly enough rotation for closed position (i.e., lady is too much in front of him--probably have not been taught proper positioning, or have been taught it and it seems too extreme and hard to do)

2) The dancing is, overall, very much up and down--as opposed to how it should be, forward down the floor. The legs are stiff and not swinging freely, hence, little movement takes place. This is the number one difference between excellent couples and so-so couples--the good couples really move down the floor, even at a bronze level. So-so couples tend to step down the floor instead of swing down it.

Again, as TT said, these criticisms are given not knowing anything about time spent dancing or levels--it is certainly a snapshot of what all good dancers danced like before they really learned to move more efficiently and freely. Tell them to keep it up and work hard, and they'll be fantastic!