Tango Argentino > Crossing over from ballroom to Tango

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by twnkltoz, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Originally Posted by Zoopsia59 [​IMG]
    It would be interesting to note a gender breakdown as well however... are there female leaders participating?

The question I was asking was whether female leaders were participating in the threads on music analysis. But your answer to me is interesting anyway.

2. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Aikido trained tango dancers are the best..their training is not simply to avoid possible contact from an 'enemy' but to become one with him.

*Footnote; Aikido is an effective martial art, but Tai Chi is superior as it teaches you not be in the same room as your enemy.....

3. LadyLeader

LadyLeader Active Member

I work with music in different ways - analyzing (reading analyzes :) ) is just one and all this is for HEARING more. Basic things for me; for example to hear basic rythm and melody same time - to be AWARE of these two.

Several on DF has told they are doing this kind of analyze at home, me too.

When on pista I use the new level of awareness and hearing as the base for my steps - followers are actually getting happier .....

.... and I must say I envy you and the others knowing all this about music!

4. bordertangoman

I think the way music is put together is fascinating.. my first LP was L'Arlesienne by Bizet, and my music teacher explained to me what a fugue was. Must have been about 10 or 11...

5. tangomonkey

tangomonkey Active Member

I see two "in the moments" here. An ideal, being lost in the music and the dance, responding intuitively; and the actual practicalities the leader faces negotiating the floor. Followers enjoy the first with hardly any concern about the second - given a good leader who has good floorcraft skills.

6. Nathan

Nathan Member

That's more or less what I meant. There isn't time in many cases to make a conscious decision about whether or not one wants to walk into another couple's territory. I avoid obstacles on the floor the same way I do at every other time in my life... by instinct! Now, it gets more complicated because people on the floor range from being cooperative to downright menacing, and there are a lot of subtle ways to influence how people behave around you, but overall, it's an intuitive process that's upstream of musical interpretation.

7. tangomonkey

I can think of a very unsublte way - frequent high boleos ;) What subtleties do you have in mind?

8. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

I think we're describing "in-the-moment" differently. :)
    Whether a last minute change of plan, or a split-second decision, or just a simple thought, "Now," that means a leader is no longer in-the-moment.

What I'm describing is as tangomonkey said:

9. Terpsichorean Clod

Hmmm, perhaps I read "luxury" and "requirement" differently. :)

I think that most beginners/newbies start off with thinking consciously about floorcraft before they can progress to doing so unconsciously. :)

10. Terpsichorean Clod

I don't mean to set it as a bar or requirement, but rather just to indicate one of the things that can make it harder for a leader to achieve the same being in-the-moment that a follower experiences.
    Yes. Whether we study the music or not, we work towards engraving the structure of the dance, the structure of the music, deep within us so that ultimately we can respond instinctively without thought. I think we are very much in agreement.

11. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

The definition I was given for Fugue... a piece where the instruments come in one by one and the audience leaves two by two....

(actually I like the L'A. suite too)

12. tangomonkey

Funny! And true. Fugue is a very complicated format - not many people like them at first, an aquired taste. I know many professional musicians (my wife, for one - Brahms is her thing) who can't stand the greastest (IMHO) master of fugue writing, Bach. That's unfathomable to me, but there you go...Classicist/Romanticist, Yin/Yang...

13. DL

DL Well-Known Member

14. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Ahhh...fugues. *swoon* And just today I was listening to The Art of Fugue. *swoon, swoon, swoon*

I can never decide if Bach or Beethoven is my favorite composer. A question I could debate endlessly with myself.

*end hijack;

15. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

[rehijack] I remember the day I fell in love with Bach. I went to see Virgil Fox, a now-long-deceased organist, in a beautiful old church on the outskirts of Philadelphia, when I was knee-high to a grasshopper. He played the Toccata and Fugue in d minor on a humongous organ. It was love at first listen. I could feel it in my bones and my blood. Never going back. [/end hijack ... probably]

16. tangomonkey

A true work of genius! I never tire of listening to (and analyzing!) it.

I lean towards Bach, but luckily we never have to actually decide!

So what's on for tomorrow - Die Grosse Fuge?

17. tangomonkey

That's a great piece! I've listened to it many times but never as it should be heard - like you did. To compensate, I crank up the volume - a lot!

18. bordertangoman

my remark was strictly tongue in cheek..but it was an ex us cop who said being streetwise was being aware of potential trouble not go looking for it.

but amusing post, wish there was a tai chi class where I live.

19. bordertangoman

A musical interlude; Fudge Fugue by Quintessence (Bach)

[yt]pbqVFEL2kkA[/yt]

20. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

I'm not sure that's true.

One key aspect of floorcraft is being aware of what's happening around you - that is, what other couples are doing / planning to do. And of course, being able to change your plan if they're looking like they'll get in the way. Or, from another POV, "dancing with the whole room".

So "improvisation on the fly" is required, but that's not the same as "being in the moment".