General Dance Discussion > Crush on Instructor...

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by summer280, Oct 1, 2006.

1. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Went for my class yesterday.... Due to work and holiday schedule, my next class is 3 weeks away. This is the longest I will be away from the studio, and don't know what came over me, but right in the middle of tango, I asked if he would miss me.... And he said yes! Still not quite believing what I just heard, because he is not given to any displays of emotion, I asked what that means.... Knowing I was really descending into unknown territory....we ended up having a talk about our journey thus far, and feelings that I had not been aware of on his part, believing everything to be one-sided....we have decided to go on one date after dec, as we both have family obligations- and see how things work out, and I am coming to the realization that I may be looking for another instructor, as I don't want to complicate things even further. I won't go into much detail, and I can't describe my feelings as it has been a long way, one that held no hope for me, my journey is well documented, and commented on... I have no illusions, but I do believe I have to give it a shot, jump in with both feet.... To sink or swim, that is yet to be seen

2. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

:jawdrop: Well, you're well aware you're walking into a potential mine field, but if ya gotta do it, good luck! Seriously.

Sania, sbrnsmith and RiseNFall like this.
  3. freeageless

freeageless Active Member

Is this another dance teacher? Probably married? If so, some people never learn, do they.

4. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I agree, I hope it goes well. One way or the other, start looking for a new dance teacher now in case you need one. (You will if it works out and you will if it is at all messy).

sbrnsmith likes this.
  5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I cannot imagine asking my teacher if he missed me

It's me. likes this.
  6. fascination

I only hope it goes well if he's single

sbrnsmith and IndyLady like this.
  7. sbrnsmith

No this is not another dance teacher, and no he is not married

8. sbrnsmith

Hope it goes well too, and if it doesn't, well, it doesn't and life will go on...

9. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I probably HAVE asked that, and got a nice "yes" or a tongue-in-cheek scathing insult in reply (depending on the particular teacher, the teacher's mood, the circumstances.) However, I don't mean anything by it. Typically, my relationships with my teachers are focussed on work, but have somewhat silly over-tones. (This is partially because I make too many truly stupid/funny mistakes for us to not laugh about it.)

kckc and IndyLady like this.
  10. freeageless

freeageless Active Member

In that case, go for it. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

danceronice and sbrnsmith like this.
  11. Squall

Squall Member

Before deciding to learn to dance, I read through a bunch of threads on here, partly to figure out what style to learn, and partly to get an idea of whether I wanted to learn to dance (as opposed to learning martial arts or guitar or whatever).

I saw enough "crush on instructor" threads that I made sure to pick an instructor that is not young and pretty; actually, my first instructor was (and still is) a man. Eventually a partner was found for me and I started taking lessons with her female instructor as well. And so far, I've avoided having a crush on anyone dance-related, but maybe that's because I didn't get into dancing to try to have fun.

So maybe all the "crush on instructor" threads actually do help. But when one fails to get crushes on instructors, it's impossible to know if it's because of the DanceForums crush-awareness shield or because, well, the instructors just aren't that appealing anyway. Perhaps a scientific experiment is in order.

12. sbrnsmith

It wasn't planned...the words just came out...I was having an out of body experience, standing there, hearing myself say that, and thinking oh no...I didn't just say that. It worked for me, otherwise, I would never know. If you never take the chance, you never know. The downside is, you risk going through pain. But, regardless of however it turns out, I would not change one single thing about that day

13. It's me.

It's me. Member

Do nothing. You only have to lose, they are a community and you don't even need to get in the next condition, where they will just have fun of you. That's my belief. On the other hand, if you want to get involved, go out with that person, but not on a latin party, nobody has to know...

14. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

My spouse and I started ballroom as a couple, so it never even occurred to me to have a crush on the instructor (who was male. I mean, he still is, he's just not our instructor anymore because he moved out of state). I sort of lumped him in the same category as one's accountant, plumber, tailor, etc., i.e. someone you pay to provide a service that you are not trained and/or skilled at.

flightco, Joe and It's me. like this.
  15. FoxTrotExtrovert

FoxTrotExtrovert Active Member

I asked my current teacher if he missed me after my two-week vacation a few months ago.

His reply in total deadpan: "Of course I did!"

My reply: "Well, that made one of us!"

Joe, sbrnsmith and wooh like this.
  16. fascination

it's rarely deliberate...that is only in the worst cases...and sure, it is easy to keep it appropriate if you are there with your spouse...but if you aren't and are not aware of the intimacy that can ensuue, it can catch a soul off guard.

17. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

my pros always miss me...........

don't they??

i mean......

really??

don't they??:p

IndyLady, It's me. and j_alexandra like this.
  18. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

They miss your check while you're gone. That's something, right?

19. It's me.

It's me. Member

Everything has to do with money!

IndyLady likes this.
  20. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Better than total indifference, I guess...

It's me. likes this.