Cumbia Sonidera

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by guero, Jan 4, 2004.

1. guero

guero New Member

Hi, everyone. Not while ago i experianced cumbia sonidera also knows as Guaracha. I saw this guy dancing with two girls at the same time, spinning them around and at the same time doing his foot work. I fell in love in this dance but it is not typical cumbia so it's lot harder to learn.
    From what i have learned the dance originated in Mexico, Mexico, this dance is a regional dance so not many people know how to dance to it, but those who do bring crowds around them.
    Now what i want to ask is.

1. what do you think of guaracha

2. do you know of any instructional videos that can be purchased.

Well, thanks.
  2. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Hiya, Guero. I'm not sure if I'm getting my wired crossed, but is Guaracha the same or vaguely similar to rueda, where one guy can dance with multiple girls or multiple gals can dance with multiple guys?

Let me know if it is and I can point you in the right direction!
  3. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

Welcome to the Forum Family, guero!

I did a quick search for Guaracha instructional videos and came up short. I'll keep my eyes peeled and let you know if I find anything.
  4. guero

guero New Member

Hi Madam Samba and Dancersdreamland.
    Well i'm not familiar with rueda but i guaracha is not based on multiple partners. Guaracha is a form of cumbia so it's a couple dance but at that time i was really impressed with this guy that could lead two girls at the same time. When you look at the guys dancing to guaracha the dance reminds me of being drunk, it's like you are falling back and you are catching yourself. It's really weird to describe.
    Searching Sonidero Nacional might help out.
  5. guero

guero New Member

i found this description of guaracha:

This lively Cuban song and dance of Spanish origin is performed in 2/4 time and danced by the more expert and agile dancers only, as its speed is rather imposing. a) An old Spanish dance in two sections. One is lively triple and the other in double. It originally was played in 4/4 time. b) A modern Rumba usually played very fast.

and i do agree that you need to be very agile and expertise wouldn't hurt. :lol:

(edited by Sagitta to include source, via guaracha link)
  6. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

So the guaracha didn't originate from mexico? Could the cumbia sonidera be different from the guaracha, if the cumbia sonidera is of Mexican origin?
  7. guero

guero New Member

From what i understand guaracha is medernized version of the old guaracha also it is called guacharaca. let me look for some songs so you can search for.
    check out this link:

Los #1 De Los Sonidos:
    100% Sonidero

(edited by Sagitta - commercial linking not allowed)
  8. guero

guero New Member

check out embrujo de cumbia, i think this is the best guaracha example.
  9. guero

guero New Member

Sonidero Nacional is a group of dj's from i think from california or miami, i'm not sure But, they play cumbia sonidera which has a slight different feel from a regular cumbia. I"m not sure how to explain it. But when you'll see someone dancing to guaracha you will know what i'm talking about.
  10. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hmm. Now I'm curious. Did anyone find instructional videos, video clips, documentary footage or more info on this dance? If not, I guess I can take up the challenge and do some googling. 8)
  11. guero

guero New Member

Finaly i found examples of Cumbia Sonidera
    1. go to www.walmart.com
    2. search for

Titanes De La Cumbia Sonidera

3. select the bottom cd

best example would be La Guaracha Sabrosona, don't bother to open any other songs rather check out the other cd's, for better examples.
    #2 - La Guaracha Sabrosona

http://music.walmart.com/m/006/74/49/50/54/52/0067449505452.01.01.002.mp3

here's another example
    search for
    Guerreros De La Cumbia

i just went through every song and i found only 1 song that wouldn't satisfy my guaracha liking.

Also check out

EL Sonido De Cumbia
    (yes this cd has overall cumbia sonidera rythm and beat but all the songs are mediacore. most likely you will never hear them at the club except for La Guaracha Sabrosona. Almost every time i go to nightclub i can hear this song.)

i like this song a lot

http://music.walmart.com/m/007/27/44/07/01/12/0072744070112.01.01.002.mp3

I hope this will clear things up (or not) but anyhow it's 3:30 am in chicago and i have to be up in 4 hours so i better get some rest.

One more thing though, my girl was talking to her friend who know guaracha dance and she found out that the dance is very popular in Mexico in federal district (i hope i got the right district) well i will double check.
  12. guero

guero New Member

i finaly found one of the best cumbia sonidera songs
    it's done by
    Artist: Celso Pina
    CD: Barrio Bravo
    Song: 1. Cumbia Sobre El Rio / Interludio

http://music.walmart.com/m/006/85/73/87/45/42/0068573874542.01.01.001.mp3

Another one from this cd is

Song: 10. Versando Pa' Mis Amigos

http://music.walmart.com/m/006/85/73/87/45/42/0068573874542.01.01.010.mp3

Ok this is what i have noticed, sonidero nacional barrows colombian music and mixes it with cumbia beats i found this cd called and there's a track

http://music.walmart.com/m/007/23/72/32/87/92/0072372328792.01.01.006.mp3

i heard the same song remixed by sonidero i'll try to find it.
  13. guero

guero New Member

14. salsablanca

salsablanca New Member

Sonidera/Guaracha

Hi, I realize this is very late in coming but I found the post while I was searching the web for learning to dance Sonidera/Guaracha.

I have been trying to for YEARS to learn this dance after seeing it here in the nightclubs in Phoenix. Most of the people I know that can do it are from Mexico City. I was glad to see that it is being recognized. I have asked friends to help me learn but they don't know how to because they learned it so long ago that they can't break it down into anything simple.

As for videos to learn, Wal-mart sells some but I bought one and it was not good at all. I don't know if it was bad editing but their feet didn't seem to go with the music (like it had been dubbed in later) and I have seen enough of it here to recognize that.

I am holding out hope that someone who knows how to do it will eventually want to share it with the rest of us and give lessons!
  15. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hi salsablanca. Welcome, and good luck finding a decent video. 8) Actually, there's a pretty sizable Mexican population here, too. I wonder if there's anything like available here. :? :)