General Dance Discussion > Dance Careers

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Sep 1, 2003.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

As an avid dance student for the past two years, roughly once a week I hear the dreaded question,"what are you going to do with all this dance, anyway?" People don't understand that I dance because I love it, not because I necessarily want to do anything with it. So we end up talking about dance careers. Option one -- be a dance tacher. Option two -- go into competitive dancing.

Problems: It's going to take a long, long time before I'm equipped to be the kind of dance teacher I want to be, and competing doesn't really interest me.

Any other ideas of cool dance-related careers I could look into?

2. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

well you don't necissarily have to be a great dancer to be a dance teacher. you just need to know HOW to do the dances (unless you are trying to teach bronze/silver/gold which you won't within the first year or so). I'm not sure of any other dance careers off hand.. :? :?: :?

3. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

Funny you should ask...I actually am working on a dance careers section for my website. Here are a few very brief job titles in regards to the world of dance:

Jobs within a Dance Company - director, promoter/publicity, accounting, auditioner, etc.
    Choreographer
    Dance therapist - uses movement as a process to futher emotional and physical integration of clients/patients
    Dance production - stage manager, costumer, props, staging/sets, hair/makeup, lights, sound
    Instructor
    Musician
    Notator - records/documents dance
    Notator teacher - teaches how to notate
    Professional dancer
    Reconstructor - restages dances/shows based on notations
    Studio Owner

If you can find a copy, check out the book "The Dance Catalog: A Complete Guide to Today's World of Dance" edited by Nancy Reynolds. There is a TON of info regarding dacne training, education, careers, styles, etc.

For more information, watch my site (www.dancersdreamland.com) or talk with a local university about their dance program and the job placement of their graduates. They would likely be able to give you more career ideas. It really all depends on what you want to do and there's no rule that you have to take dance to turn it into a career. People invest time and money into sports every day, simply because they love it and not to make it a career. Just a thought.

Hopes this helps. :)

4. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

cool, never realized there were so many dance careers :)

5. pygmalion

This is great! I have a feeling I'm going to be referring to your website a lot.

I will get a hold of that book. Maybe Barnes & Noble or Amazon.com has it. Been pondering this a lot, lately.

Thanks so much.

Jenn

6. pygmalion

New career idea: dance forums lackey, aka slave, aka addict. Any takers? :lol:

7. dancersdreamland

Count me in...How's this for a "quick" job description:

Highly acclaimed international online dance forum seeks energetic, fun-loving, outgoing participant to provide general conversation and knowledge in regards to eclectic dance styles and various dance discussions. General typing skills a plus. Computer with Internet connection and email required.

Qualified applicants can apply at www.dance-forums.com. You will receive acceptance via email and can begin assignments immediately. Happy dancing!

8. pygmalion

Sounds like quite a few have already lined up for that job. :lol: Good description.

9. pygmalion

New idea: dance costumer.

10. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

hey you could make really really good money making dance costumes if you figured out how to make them right!

11. dancersdreamland

Excellent idea!!!! I'll have to add that to the careers section of my sight as I get it up and going again!

12. pygmalion

Just watch, you guys. I'm going to be an up-and-coming dance something or the other before you know it. :lol: :lol: