Dancers Anonymous > Dance Dance Revolution

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DanceMentor, Sep 16, 2002.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Apparently this has been around since 1998, but I'm just now finding out about it. It is a video game where you dance on a pad that lights up wherever you step. I believe it keeps score by how well you keep up with the rhythm and gets progressively harder. There are both arcade versions and home version040210 4:27:51 read_const: Got error 127 when reading table ./danceforumsdb/dforum_forums
    ncers. The dancers face the audience, not the screen. The game is being promoted as a 'healthy' video game. Two thumbs up from me! Here is link to some video clips of people playing the game:
    http://www.ddrfreak.com/videos.php

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Dude, you are pry new to this, so i will cut you some slack. We don't face the adudience unless we do freestyle or really easy songs and junk. We look at the screen as to know what notes to hit, unless, like many people, oyu have memorized the notes.

3. DanceMentor

I still haven't tried it since I made this post. Is there a ballroom or salsa dancer that has tried DDR?

Thanks for cutting me some slack, Nali :)
    I am pry new, dude.
    I have one question for you, Nali. Can you dance without DDR? If so, what kind of music/moves you like?

4. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

I've played this a few times, it's pretty fun. I own that machine! If there was ever a video game made for me to destroy this is the one :lol:

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

This game is SO difiicult, but lots of fun! Did I say SO difficult? Argh! :shock:

I've tried is a few times at the arcade. What fun? Anybody else?

6. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

I've never heard of it...I know, I live in the dark ages. I would love to know more...anyone know a website?

7. pygmalion

I've never seen a website. I've come across this game (aka torture chamber :lol: ) in a few arcades.

8. pygmalion

Hey! I found a small version of this in a catalog while Christmas shopping. That would make for an interesting Christmas morning. *giggle* :lol:

9. pygmalion

Hey! For those of you who have no idea of what we're talking about, I found pictures of a home version. (There are better photos on ebay, but they'll disappear in a couple days, so ...)

http://www.digitaltorque.com/dancepad

Basically, it's a light-up dance pad, on which you do specific steps. Kind of like those arcade games we used to play, where things light up and you have to stomp on them, or bop them with a hammer? Only this is different, because you actually dance.

10. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

I've done it at Dave and Busters. It was so hard. I saw this cute little guy doing it and he was so fast and so good. I wonder if he was a dancer. Hmp? :?

11. smoothdancingirl

smoothdancingirl New Member

That game is really hard. I guess you have to play it a lot to get used to the sequences.

My students bought a kids version of that for my daughter. She really enjoyed it.

12. bouncybouncyweee

bouncybouncyweee New Member

Acutally, to explain it better, there is an up, down, left and right arrow, and there's a row of arrows at the top of the screen, and as the song plays, different sequences of appear and go towards the top arrows and you must stomp on the appropriate arrow on the floor on the beat that it hits the top part.

Really, the game should be renamed Stomp Stomp Revolution.

After you being to memorize all the hard levels, it's possible to do all kinds of freaky levels, including the double pad, where one person takes charge of both sides.

And I know a lot of DDR people. And most of them can't dance worth the quarter they use to put in the machine. haha

13. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Hard? HARD??? Oh come on now, you wussies!!!

It's not hard . . .

It's extremely fricken' hard!!! I couldn't do it either. It felt like my first Waltz lesson all over again, only much faster. Couldn't do that either!

14. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

:oops: Late again for this thread! (could one physically finish reading so many threads in time..?)

A good friend of mine (one of the best-known dancer/instructor in my town) told us once that his teenage daughters love this game (AND they kick-knat at it too) & invited him to have a go one day, in front of all their teenage friends.

This guy jumped on, going: "Watch this, kids. I am a PRO!" Then started doing his things, while completely missing all the 'hits' :lol: . He was having so much fun, completely oblivious to how embarrased the kids were ("....Dad,.....Dad....!") :wink: while carrying on with his little routine there....!
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

15. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

That's hysterical salsachinita, thanks for sharing... :lol:

16. pygmalion

It's called dedication, sista! (Either that or insanity. I get them mixed up! :lol: )

17. Tenka

Tenka New Member

DDR Tournaments

DDR is more a game than a dance, but it is loads of fun. I love to dance freestyle where the music is loud and vibrates my blood, and DDR requires a great deal of balance, as well as eye-foot coordination. It's been called a game for young people, but at 49, I find I love the game, as much for the music as for the movement.

The game is showing up in many different arcades, bowling centers, movie theatres, as well as Lancade, an online computer game center. Lancade is sponsoring a tournament in Central Florida, where dancers, gamers, or players (choose your name) have an opportunity to win money.

You can find our more about both Lancade and DDR at the following links:

www.lancade.net

www.ddrfreak.com

18. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums Tenka!! :D

Glad that you agree that DDR is a game and NOT dancing! Look forward to seeing a lot more of you around. :)

19. DanceMentor

20. pygmalion

I had forgotten about this thread, DM. Hilarious. I saw two ladies try this at the arcade a few weeks ago. I wish I'd had a video camera. They were priceless!

If I ever try this, I'm going to have to get the home version. Never will I be caught out in public doing that particular dance. LOL.