Dancers Anonymous > Dance Dance Revolution

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DanceMentor, Sep 16, 2002.

1. tj

tj New Member

Ok, I just tried this for the first time at a party last weekend... it's really hard!!!

Alcohol helps - mostly cuz you don't care!

How do you get a higher grade, anyway? I think out of the 40-50x people did this, and the best grade we saw was a 'B'.

2. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

DDR was a HUGE hit in Japan, where the game was designed, and all the video game arcades had quite a number of the machines which kids lined up to use! After awhile, everyone had the "home version". Nowadays, this game is completely passe. Right now, the big hit is a drumming game in which you tap the beat, which appears on the screen, on a drum pad. This game has been out for a couple years now...

3. Neil

Neil Member

I know I'm really late to the party here. I saw the game for the first time at least a year ago on TechTV's Fresh Gear. I live only a mile from Game Works, but it took me about six months to make the trip. Then, I was going to post about it, but I wanted to do a search here first and read what's already been posted. Well, I finally got around to it while I was stuck inside due to the hurricanes.

After all that, I don't really have much to say. I thought it was a lot of fun. I enjoyed turning the "stomping" into something that more closely resembled dancing. I can see how it would be good exercise for couch potatoes. I don't think the exercise will ever compare to a good Zumba or Hip-hop aerobics class for me because I can't really go all out with my movements when I'm trying to follow those arrows in the screen. I guess it might just take more practice. I think the game would also be useful to beginner dancers who need to learn to hit the beats. The game lets you know instantly whether you were exactly on the beat, or just close.

I think I might get a Sony Playstation II and an Ignition pad to play this at home on days when I don't want to go to the gym. I guess I had more to say about it than I thought.

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Have you seen commercials for the new "Twister Moves" game? Looks like a DDR/Twister hybrid. I wonder.

5. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Neil-
    Glad to hear you find DDR fun! I have to admidt I have never tried it myself, but several people I know(here in Japan) have & said it was challenging, but fun. There is a breed of Japanese called "otaku" who love to do nothing but stay home and watch TV, read comics and play video games and DDR has helped some of them get up off their butts and get a decent workout. Unfortunately, the game seems to have disappeared off the face of the Japanese archipelago and the trend-seeking Japanese have found other newer electronic forms of entertainment to keep them occupied...

6. Neil

Neil Member

Speaking of which, I also saw a game where the monitor screen has a pair of fighters and you shadow box one while cameras follow your moves and impose them onto your character whose opponent then responds. That looks very active too, sort of a "Fight, Fight, Revolution."

7. pygmalion

Virtual reality?

8. Neil

Neil Member

I don't think so. It looked more like you see the fight as a third party. You don't feel like you are in the fight, but you use your body motions as a game controller, so it's something like that.

9. pygmalion

Woohoo! That sounds like fun. I LOVE video games AND dancing, so I can't think of a better combination. 8)

btw, Neil, are you and your family/loved ones okay? From the TV news, it looks like South Florida got mostly spared for the last two storms, but TV reports can be deceiving. Are you guys all right?

10. Neil

Neil Member

Yes, we're fine, thank you. It has mostly just been the stress of preparing and waiting for the storms. It got a little windy and rainy with the electrical power flickering on and off. I was more concerned about you. You're in Orlando, right?

11. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Yes, there is that kind of game out- I've seen it advertised on TV. Can't actually say that I've ever played a video game, with the exception of the very early "pong" game that we had at a restaurant I worked at when I was in high school. I prefer to spend my free time doing things I can gain something from... :?

12. kpop84

kpop84 New Member

best dance pad

hey people check this website. they have the best dance pads.
    You can get better score with this dance pad and last longer.
    http://www.xgamegear.com/

13. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

DDR Ultramix for Xbox reporting in. It's hoooooooooooot. Love it! Great workout!!!

14. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

Re: best dance pad

yeah, that's the dancepad I want, but it's out of my price range as I'm just not a hardcore DDR gal.

15. clave

clave New Member

Why does the pad have to have discrete buttons? If it could detect the position of feet anywhere on the surface it could be used for teaching shines or even partnering footwork drills. Oh I so want this! 8)

16. swingsparkle

swingsparkle New Member

I am sooo addicted to this game. I just love the idea of a video game that makes u sweat.

17. Becca

Becca Active Member

I've been playing this for years, it's so addictive and also a lot of fun!

Whether I'm any good at it . . . hmmm . . . well that's another question ;) !

18. PiPod

PiPod New Member

I love dance dance revolution. It helps me get the lead out when I warm up.

19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Came home from comp last week delighted to find my son had the DDR pad out again and was giving it a good workout. It stayed out all week and I've probly has four good workouts on it so far.

I just love it.

And FTR, having read the thread...it can be a *killer* workout and it can be every bit as beautiful to watch as freakishly talented tap dancers are.

20. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member