General Dance Discussion > Dance Floor

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by lujan, Jun 9, 2005.

1. lujan

lujan New Member

Yesterday I built my very own dancefloor, it took me about 45mins once I had all the parts, it might have run over budget, but its fantastic. I'll post pics after its inauguration tonight. We built it for a friends housewarming party, but once the party is over the floor will be dismantled and transported to my place for permanent setup. The floor is big enough for a full 'Irish' set, of 8 people, or really any 4 couple dance. I'm sure tonight there will be some swing on it as well.

For those interested in duplicating my efforts, the technical info is below.

I built it out of 11mm thick plywood, and it measures 2400mm by 2200mm (thats about 8' by 7'4" for the metrically challenged). The floor is raised on 4x2 treated pine, so the whole floor is weather proof. I had the ply cut into 4 sections of 1200X1100 (size dictated by the space in my friends car), which whilst not as rigid as having two sheets of 1200X2400, is held together with a lot of screws, and is quite stable. The base is comprised of 3 2400mm lengths of pine running along the long side, and using 6 900mm lengths of pine at the edges of each square of ply to provide rigidity. 2 at each end, and 2 in the middle creating a square divided into 4 parts. By cutting the cross peices to 900mm, I am leaving a gap large enough between the long peices, that I can use to lift the floor to move it.

Originally I was intending to have a double base of 4x2, to give me a sprung floor, but finances denied me that pleasure. Next time. I am already planning on building a second floor, using thicker ply, and a sprung base, but thats for another month when I have more money.

2. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

Wow! Congrats! :banana:

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Congrats! Looking forward to seeing the pics. :)

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Wow. Cool. And what do you mean over budget? Was it very expensive, if you don't mind my asking? (No specific dollar figures required -- just ball park will do. 8) )

5. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

as someone who has seen a number of built floors, i submit that you may want to evaluate how well the cross bracing underneath minimizes the sag on this floor before doing another, not to mention how well the seams stay flush once you have a full load of weight on the floor; you may want to go with slightly smaller size panels in the future or possibly consider adding a small square in the middle of each separate panel for support.
    futhermore, if the overall structure is fairly rigid it will also be influenced by the vagaries of the surface underneath.

6. lujan

lujan New Member

Thanks for the feedback tsb, you are right, I did place a peice under each corner in the centre. I have already planned next time to use a sprung floor, with probably 7 2400mm 4x2 all running in the same direction, mounted on a square made out of 4 others.

Pics are up here:

http://lujan.ozdw.com/pics/dancefloor/

You can see in the last pic the current base, and 2 of the peices I had underneath it.

7. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

from the last pic it's not clear to me that we're thinking the same thing - you have a cross brace underneath, but i was thinking that you might need a piece underneath in the center of each of the four panels - otherwise weight in the middle might cause a sag that will cause the seam of the panel to come up creating a potential obstacle someone miight trip on. i've had that happen where you can't find the problem later because the couple is no longer directly in the middle of the panel.

8. lujan

lujan New Member

Sorry, if you look at the ground, you will see 2 pieces of wood, approximately 1' long. I have 4 of them, each sits in the middle of a section. They are not screwed in to minimise the number of screws in the floor. It also means if on uneven ground, (like that concrete, which was sloped down to the building) I can position them for maximum contact. You are right, that ply, (11mm) is a little too flexible, next time I am going for the 17mm ply.

The floor survived 8 people battering out the Clare Lancers, and the grand basket in the Balleyvourney, which involves all 8 dancers jumping at the same time. Plus at least a dozen demonstrations of step dancing that we did during the night.

If you haven't seen Irish battering, its something else, 8 people shuffling and stamping as hard as they can.

The neighbours next door spent most of the night on the balcony applauding us.

They certainly couldn't have gotten to sleep.

9. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

an uneven surface is definitely also going to give you some sag. not much you can do about that, but what i was thinking was that you could take some 2x4s & cut a 2" notch (2x2) in the middle of each one so that you can notch them together (like a big "X") and slide them underneath (visualize a game of tic-tac-toe) to maximize the support underneath.

10. lujan

lujan New Member

I wanted to do that with the main cross piece. However when I realised I did not have a router, I had to shelve that plan.