Dancers Anonymous > Dance Forums on Mobile

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DanceMentor, Dec 27, 2014.

1. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Same. A long with a couple other forums that I used to browse.

2. pruthe

pruthe Member

I just looked at DF on my iPhone. Looks pretty good. When reading a thread in vertical view, user icon in 1st column seems a bit too large and takes up space from thread text in 2nd column, which can then become somewhat long. Also thread topic header not fully visible. When viewing thread in horizontal view, can see topic header and text easier to read since a wider 2nd column.

Hope this helps.

pruthe

raindance likes this.
  3. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Ok, I hope to get a programmer to look at what you guys have reported soon. Thank you for the feedback. I can tell you traffic is up since the changes, so maybe a few more people are posting now. I downloaded Tapatalk, and I could see how we might also get new traffic as a result of using it, so I will work on that too.

4. DanceMentor

I've assigned several more small updates to make this site a little more mobile friendly and should be done this week. For example, we will make it so you have the comment box full screen width when writing a comment on mobile. This is one of 6 items I assigned. More to come! Hopefully we will address Tapatalk this week also.

5. DanceMentor

Tapatalk upgraded, tested and worked for me. How about you?

stash likes this.
  6. DerekWeb

DerekWeb Well-Known Member

yes, it is working again.

DanceMentor likes this.
  7. DanceMentor

I wanted to make another note about Tapatalk. I have been seeing where some forums were complaining that it takes the traffic off the site itself, because people never visit the site, but instead use only Tapatalk. As a result, it can mean that our traffic "appears" lower and also there is zero monetization from advertising. Please note that our advertising barely pays for the costs of running the site, so if we have have a drop off, I may prefer to make the site even more mobile friendly, but not continue to use Tapatalk. I have not decided yet, but appreciate your consideration in this matter.

Lioness likes this.
  8. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

To be honest, after using mobile DF for so long, tapatalk is kinda hard to get used to.

I can't think of any other examples off the top of my head, but at the very least giantitp.com/forums/forum.php is a great mobile forum interface, from a user perspective.

DanceMentor likes this.
  9. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Re-installing it now. Just got "back".

10. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

So far, so good.

11. DanceMentor

Continuing to make small adjustments condensed forums on mobile and I think it is looking pretty darn good now. Most of the posts I have been making lately are me putting the cursor in the comment box and then speaking to my phone and that works great

Lioness likes this.
  12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Trying df on my iPhone 6. Speed is good, but unzoomed it uses only the left half of the screen.

JoeB and stash like this.
  13. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

Ditto on an adroid... seemed to start after the new banner ad on the top.

Also noticed slower loading, even on desktop pc since some ads now have motion. Any chance of sticking with static ads???

JoeB likes this.
  14. DanceMentor

Trying to get another ad from the vendor.

15. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

We have a new banner on the way. It will be smaller but not static. Hopefully this will help.

As far as non static vs static, we would like to keep all ads static. But that said, we strive to keep Dance Forums free for everyone. There are a lot of behind the scenes costs and the annual auction has been down over the last few years. So the goal of the advertising is to pay for Dance Forums. We appreciate everyone's support and if you know of anyone who would like to place an ad, please send them our (my) way. :) Thank you!

16. raindance

Thanks for the information. There are two problems (IMHO) with non-static ads. One is simply that they are annoying - so I tend to spend less time on a site the more annoying their ads are. The other problem is that when connections are slow, the darned ads and their movements will load first even when the content I am coming to the site to look at is taking forever to load. Sometimes they seem to crash the browser, too. (Not just on DF, but other sites as well.) I know the ads are needed, but if they interfere too much with the content I'm after (on DF or other sites), I just stay away. I suspect I am not the only one.

Sorry to hear the auction proceeds have been decreasing. Maybe a year-round donation button (with a link explaining costs to run the site, etc) would help? Just a thought.

Thanks for all that you guys do to keep this forum running! :)

17. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

There already is a Donate button, top right of your screen. Maybe it needs to be bigger.

stash likes this.
  18. raindance

Oops, yes I see it, thanks. Perhaps having a thread where it is mentioned periodically (e.g. in the summer, since the auction is in December, or once a quarter or something) to remind people.