1. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

Hello!

My apologies if a message of similar sorts already appears within the message boards. I am new and have not had an opportunity to catch up on everything...not to mention that would take an extremely long time given the amount of posts.

Anyway...I'm working on a project and would LOVE some input/help from the memembers of this Forum.

I am attempting to create a fairly complete list of dance movies to appear on my website: www.dancersdreamland.com . There are already quite a few listed...please check it out.

If there are other movies you'd like to see on the list, please just reply here or email me at dancersdreamland@yahoo.com.

THANK YOU!

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I haven't checked your website yet, but how about singing in the rain (gene kelley had AMAZING scenes), west side story, saturday night fever, and more.

Best wishes with your research.

Jenn

3. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Dreamland, I was unable to open the site; all I got was that "The page cannot be found" notice.

4. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I fixed the link.

5. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Missing:
    That's the way I like it (Miramax)
    Manhattan Merengue (BMG) [Note, this one is just G-d awful!]

6. dancersdreamland

THANKS!

Hello everyone!

Thank you for the movie suggestions! I can't believe I forgot to include "Singing in the Rain"!!!! That is such an AMAZING movie!

I've never heard of "That's the Way I Like It" or "Manhattan Merengue." I'll have to check them out. THANKS!

Dance Mentor - Thank you for correcting my link error. I appreciate it.

Let me know if you think of any other films.

Thanks!

7. Spitfire

While we are on this subject of film and dance...

Anyone watch The Sopranos? I wonder who the couple is doing the Viennese Waltz at the start of episode 12 of season 2. Didn't see anything in the credits mentioning dancers. Carmela Soprano reminds me of a lady I've danced with a lot.

8. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

lol, haven't checked but I wonder if "salsa" is on the list hehehehe :shock:

9. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

oh my gosh..I just checked and it IS lmao :lol: :lol: :lol:

10. pygmalion

Has anyone ever seen the Mambo Kings? Is there any dancing in it? I caught a few minutes of it yesterday, but had to go out before it ended. All I know is that, within the first fifteen minutes, I saw Tito Puente and Celia Cruz. So the movie had some real dance scene potential. Has anyone seen the whole thing?

11. Spitfire

I saw it about 10 years ago and from what I recall there was not much dancing as it was mostly centered around these musicians.

12. pygmalion

Thanks, spitfire. Now I won't bother spending the time or money on that movie.

Jenn

13. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Oh yeah I've seen 'Mambo Kings'! For the longest my friends and I would watch it EVERY night we returned home from salsa dancing. Not a lot of dancing, but some insight into Mambo and the the Palladium era. I love the fashions of times too!

A GREAT movie about Latin Jazz with AMAZING performances is 'Calle 54', check it out!

14. pygmalion

Cool. This is the second time someone mentioned Calle 54, so it must be good. Will google, and see if I can find it.

Thanks! :)

Jenn

15. dancersdreamland

Calle 54...hmm...never heard of it, but I'll also see what I can find out and add to my site. Thanks for the info!

16. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

It's not a dance movie though...it's more about Latin Jazz artists. Great musical performances.

17. pygmalion

That's cool too. Music came first for me, so it's all good. :D

18. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

What's your favourite dance movie?

OK, 'fess up...

Having spent the entire weekend consuming everything from Dirty Dancing (for the 10 millionth time) and Shall We Dance to Centre Stage and Save the Last Dance, I was very annoyed to go to the video shop and find everything else out.

What's your favourite and why? Also, are there any movies out there that are "cult" movies within certain dance styles, such as swing and salsa?

19. Angelo

Angelo Member

"Shall we dance" is my favorite because it seems to find a balance between both sincerity and humor in ballroom dancing. I thought it was charming and hysterical.

20. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

"That's The Way I Like It" is my all time fave dance movies.

"The more you shake, the more you make it" is one of themore notable quotes....