1. FaceTheMusic

FaceTheMusic New Member

RickRS, I loved The Tango Lesson. To me it was very much about the creative process - what goes into creating dance and dance performance, and what goes into creating film.

2. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Everybody's Dancin' 1950

Where else can you see a couple dance swing to Western Swing band leader Spade Cooley's orchestra at the Santa Monica Pier?
    Cooley had the #1 TV show in LA for most of the early 50s and the plot has Cooley's music saving the ballroom from going out of business, which is actually close to what happened in LA in the 40s.

3. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

The Sopranos had an episode that featured a waltz in the background.

4. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Spitfire, yes! Reminding me of the wedding reception dancing in The Godfather, and the famous piece of music called "The Godfather Waltz"...

5. Steve Pastor

Hot Rod Gang 1958
    Western swing (aka West Coast Swing) to rockabilly Gene Vincent's "Dance to the Bop"

6. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Steve, wow, your on a roll!

7. Steve Pastor

Doesn't take much to encourage me!

Don't Knock the Rock (1957)

Very well know "swing" dance movie from the early days of Rock n Roll with music by Bill Haley and His Comets, Little Richard, The Treniers, and dance scenes including formerly active Dance Forum member Black Sheep aka Uncle Joe aka Joe Lanza.

(Some believe there is West Coast Swing here. I think, kinda sorta.)

8. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Steve, nor does it take me much to give encouragement! Rock on! :rocker::banana::cheers:

9. Laurie

Laurie New Member

I recall a beautiful little dance scene from the first season of Glee! Will was teaching Emma how to dance for her wedding to Ken (which eventually was broken off by Ken). Emma was singing "I Could Have Danced All Night" from My Fair Lady--the only time that she sang during that season of the show. :)

10. Laurie

Laurie New Member

Ray that's all classic stuff! The movie, that scene, and that music.

11. Amanda Coyle

Amanda Coyle New Member

Laurie that was truly a beautiful moment from that show. :)

12. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

Ray (2004) - EC Swing

File this under incidental

13. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

It seems dance is really becoming popular in the media. One show's season ends as another begins. I'm loving it!

14. Laurie

Laurie New Member

Phil Owl good one! :)

15. Amanda Coyle

Amanda Coyle New Member

For one of my English classes back in high school, we saw the Romeo and Juliet movie from the 1960s. The dance scene where they first meet is quite lovely. :)

16. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Amy, that reminds me of once using the theme from that exact movie for a show at a ball, performing 5 dances--one a Waltz to that piece of music...

17. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

sambanada, I love that too! :bouncy:

18. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

an indie film called mating dance was written and directed by former champion cabaret dancer cate caplin. all the dance scenes i was in got cut to trim the movie under 2 hours unfortunately (though cate was kind enough to include all our names in the closing credits). but there were a couple of pseudo-tango scenes that are still in the movie.

i also danced in an episode of gilmore girls that centered around a 24 hour dance marathon. also did another episode where i'm swing dancing with my partner over luke's left shoulder for about 30 seconds with a decent amount of face time in a wedding reception scene a few seasons later.

19. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hi tsb. Long time no see. Hope all's well.

20. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

very cool, tsb!