1. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

DWise, cool! I did not know that this movie even existed--and I like both Amy Smart and Bill Zane! Thanks! :cheers:

2. GoldStar

GoldStar Member

Movies about dancing

Hey guys..

much of my passion to learn ballroom dancing I got from movies so let's try to write any dance movie we know..

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dirty Dancing

Dirty Dancing Havana Nights

Shall We Dance?

Step Up

Step Up 2

Billy Eliott

Tango - Carlos Saura

Assassination Tango

Take The Lead

Dance With Me

3. wiseman

wiseman New Member

Darn! You beat me to it. I was going to say "Dirty Dancing." That movie definitely inspired me to start dancing.

4. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

I wonder whether this should be in the "Dancing in Cinema and TV" thread down towards the bottom of the page.

If you liked the American remake, Shall We Dance?, you should check out the Japanese original, Shall We Dansu? (though it might be listed with the same title as the remake).

Also, in the 30's and 40's, the movies that featured swing dancing served to both generate interest in dancing, but also to demonstrate new dance steps and styles to a nation-wide audience, which led to a more rapid spread of such styles. In the 1950's, TV shows such as Dick Clark's American Bandstand served the same function for the rock-n-roll teenage audience.

5. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

Yes, the Japanese version is much better. Maybe if I had seen the American remake first, I would have enjoyed it more. But the original is just so much better, especially if you have an appreciation for how society works in Japan.

And add to the list:
    Strictly Ballroom

6. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

DWise, I can't wait to see this if and when it comes out on DVD...

7. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

It was released on DVD late last year (30 Oct 2009): http://www.amazon.com/Love-N-Dancing-Gregory-Harrison/dp/B002H3EU9A/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1282606495&sr=1-1
    Don't believe what amazon.com says about who's starring; Tom Mallory, Amy Smart, and Bill Zane are the three main characters, whom amazon.com doesn't even mention.

One of my WCS teachers, Carrie Lucas, is the redhead in the opening dance scene towards the front of the floor -- there's also a close-up of her feet in the opening scene and one of the women she teaches immediately recognized her shoes. A lot of people from the SoCalif WCS scene here went to Albequerque for the filming. In post-production they ran out of money but later were able to get enough funding to finish it for release. They were given a limited release to the theaters, about a week or two in a limited number of areas; fortunately, Orange County was one of those places.

8. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Most certainly the original's premise about the social stigma of dancing offers a far better explanation for the main character's secretiveness, something which really didn't make that much sense in the remake. And the American version made too much of the common American male misconception that men who dance are gay. The best part of the remake was Stan Tucci's line, "Football sucks!"

9. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Well-Known Member

I'd like to get a hold of Love and Dance (Kochaj i tańcz), but it doesn't seem to be available in the U.S. :(

Trailer

10. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

anyone seen the Pina Bausch movie by Wim Wenders?

11. RickRS

RickRS Member

That would be this one? I'll have to look for it when it comes out on DVD. Documentaries don't get screen time in most of the USA theater market. It's playing in film festivals and is scheduled for the NY Film Festival next week. Maybe we get some input from our NY members?