General Dance Discussion > "Dance Off" Dancing with the Stars - Sept 20

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by DanceMentor, Aug 18, 2005.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

2. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

No comment about the whole "politics" deal but, as far as getting more ballroom on TV, all I can say is coolio! 8)

3. Laura

Laura New Member

Oh my.

4. discovery

discovery New Member

It'll be great to see yet another ballroom dance show. Simply amazing. Somebody pinch me. However, as for proving anything, it seems like Kelly and Alec have the majority audience vote, so my guess is they'll be easy winners. What would be cool is if they showed some kind of numbers either percentages or totals.

Also I wonder if this means that they've been practicing this whole time. Surely they knew about this well before we did.

:D

5. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

remind us all again in another month. Television is great about abusing (or creating?)"controversy", but I'll be happy to watch.

6. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Ayuh. :roll:

See what happens when a T.V. show doesn't get it correctly. The format was strange from the beginning. Now they are just using the controversy for selling more ads.

Gee, duh. :doh:

7. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Oh well, I work for media sales, so no comment..

8. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

:eyebrow: :lol:

9. Katarzyna

Specifically, I work in research supporting the media sales people...

10. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

Looking forward to the dance off.

11. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Me, too. :D

12. musicchica86

musicchica86 Active Member

Bumping so nobody forgets! :D

13. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I saw a commercial today during ABC daytime TV (soap opera) time slot. Surprise, surprise. :lol: Cheesy. Totally cheesy, IMO.

Shame on you, ABC. :evil:

14. musicchica86

musicchica86 Active Member

Well, I didn't say it wasn't cheesy...*sigh* (I agree with you)

But hey, I'm still holding out hope that the right MAN will pull through this time, as stupid as that may be....

15. Katarzyna

hope so too!!!

16. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

Did anyone happen to read the "Did You Know" section of Michael Mead's DanceSportComps newsletter? It pretty much dissolves any ideas that the dancers on the show are directly making a lot of money from being picked up by the series. It is true that there are lots of indirect ways, like more visibility for teaching, doing shows, etc., but anytime they are going to appear on TV, they need network clearance (for 5 years). Interesting...

17. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Link?

18. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

http://www.dancesportcomps.com/Newsletter2005/September/index.html

19. wyllo

wyllo New Member

That's a pretty raw deal to have to sign off on a salary for 5 years and give up any other appearances. Not like they really had any negotiating power to ask for more, though. Guess that's why so many actors on shows that become hits have disputes over salaries. Can't blame them for asking for more if the network is making money off of their work.

20. saludas

saludas New Member

No, that's not what that means. the 'salary' was negotiated by an independent producer, not the network. And if they only got $1500 per week, they were foolish - anyone doing this kind of reality show sees a LOT more than that. Probably this was the 'salary' minus perks (hotel, etc) because there is a standard contract form called 'favored nations' that makes all salaries equal (nobody can negotiate a more 'favored' rate). If they did this without an agent, they got what they deserved unfortunately.

And, the 'network clearance' they are talking about is that they cannot do another SHOW like this without the ABC network clearing it. in other words, they can't do another "DTWS" type show, for 5 years. it's a standard contract knows an 'non compete clause'. they could dance tomorrow on another network for a million dollars - just not in a reality show format with their specific roles as proam dancers with the stars. They can, for instance, go on Leno with their star, dance up a storm, and collect $$$s.