General Dance Discussion > "Dance Off" Dancing with the Stars - Sept 20

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by DanceMentor, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Big10

Big10 Member

I used the PBS analogy because you seemed to imply that the show would be better if the judges' decision on the "best" technical dancer won -- and where else would you get the best of the best ballroom dancers than on those PBS shows? (Of course, by the way, some people seem to overlook the fact that the judges voted for Kelly as the winner in the final of the original series.)

ABC made the modification to include B-list "celebrities" and have the audience participate because it was obvious that pure technical merit would not draw an audience for 6 weeks. That's all I'm saying. DWTS was a success largely because Kelly (and other modestly skilled celebrities) were there trying hard every week and people could vote for them. The ratings were NOT simply based on people's saying, "Oh you've gotta see John O'Hurley dance." :roll:

2. Big10

Big10 Member

Didn't John lift Charlotte a couple of times during the freestyle last night? And what was up with Charlotte's wiggling her hands through his crotch that one time? :shock: Not to mention the freestyle from the original finale where Charlotte jumped up to wrap her legs around John's waist. :roll:

I can't argue with how you "felt." I simply felt differently. I think the show was prone to gimmickry from all the competitors, and it's kind of funny to me how John's gimmicks are frequently viewed as "classy" even though they weren't that different from Kelly's, in my opinion.

3. dTas

dTas New Member

true John's routines had lifts and tricks as well, of course the "hand wiggling".

but his routines also had heart and touched an emotion, even the "hand wiggling" was a touch of comedy.

Kelly's routines were void of emotion and looked hap-hazard. there was little flow from one trick to another.

4. tacad

tacad New Member

All the dances from both dancers looked devoid of emotion and passion to me this time except for John's waltz. That was nice.

5. Another Elizabeth

Another Elizabeth Active Member

Personally, I thought J&C's freestyle was great. It had some dancing, it was funny, and it played to both dancers' strengths. I also thought it was a clever theme in that it could disguise bobbles in the routine as "I meant to do that." I also liked Charlotte's outfit, and the Ginger Rogers hairstyle.

6. tacad

tacad New Member

What dance were John and Charlotte doing on that freestyle? I couldn't figure it out. But then I may not understand the term freestyle.

7. Laura

Laura New Member

It seemed like it was loosely based on Hustle.

8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

my point is that viewer ship wouldn't neccessarily change just b/c people couldn't call in ....and I never implied that the best dancers(non-celb) should be dancing but that the celebrities that were dancing should be judged by a more authentic standard.....not sure the current judges fit that bill either

9. Medira

Medira New Member

I agree.

Personally, I found the show to be very anti-climactic. There was this huge buildup to the show that just didn't deliver the spellbinding performances that I had hoped to see.

Kelly's chacha was definitely her best dance, but it was still less than spectacular. John's waltz was wonderful. Both freestyle numbers were lacking. It seemed like neither John nor Kelly were that into it.

If the professional performances hadn't been in there too, I would have been completely disappointed in the show. As it was, I was pretty close to that point anyway.

10. wyllo

wyllo New Member

Finally got around to watching the tape of the show (I've been at dance practice!) I don't think either person is the clear winner. You can't deny the "fun factor" of Kelly's dancing, but she is messy at best, clumsy at worst. I do think her lifts are much better. John's waltz was very nice, but I'm not sure the non-dancers can appreciate how much time he spent in closed dance position.

The pro performances were stunning (but I expected no less!). John Roberts and Anna Trebunskya (sp?) were mesmerizing -- does anyone know if they still compete?

Dancing kids are just so darn cutel I wonder how many parents are signing their kids up for lessons after that.

11. Laura

Laura New Member

John & Anya compete in Latin. After that performance, they should try Smooth, too!! (John is a previous US National Professional Rising Star Smooth winner, with Roberta Sun.)

12. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

If it were not for the kids and John and Anya . . . the show would have been a dismal failure.

All that buildup and it flopped . . .

Kelly looked like her early days in dance - a rookie! She lost her quick legs and soft arms/hands, and . . . she didn't come off as looking as sexy as she did in previous shows! I never noticed her large nose before this show!

John looked like an older male dancer - the older you get, the less flexible your upper body is, so your upper body, arms, shoulders, neck movements look stiff. He looked very stiff and danced flatfooted - kind of a march!

I actually thought John looked terrible.

Kelly was so-so - the cha cha being her only OK dance.

I hope they don't do a third show, say if John wins this one, and then the producers will have to have a tie-breaker show. I won't watch . . . I'd rather save my tv-dance-watching-time for the "So You Think You Can Dance" show - now those last six can dance!

13. tacad

tacad New Member

:shock:

:lol:

I watched it for the first time last night. They're good!

14. fascination

what on earth were you looking at before? :wink: does this belong on the looking at cleavage thread?

15. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Nick Kosovich is hot. Just had to say it.

16. fascination

careful, africana has decided that all of us married folks have way too much sexual energy going on

17. musicchica86

musicchica86 Active Member

YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! JUSTICE AT LAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

18. mamboqueen

Hey, us married folk have blood running through our veins, too! I don't know who I'll dream about now...Alec or Nick?? Tough choices!

I thought the result was fairly predictable. The only dance I was really impressed with this time around was John's waltz. And impressed in the sense that it was nice to see some fairly basic movements done very well by a newcomer. I could have done without all the lifts, quite honestly.

Edita and Alec were awesome to watch, though....

19. musicchica86

musicchica86 Active Member

Yeah, Alec's pretty hot too...and Charlotte's just so stunning. Edyta and Alec's samba was fabulous. He finally got to really show off how good he is!

I can only imagine how tough it's going to be to get a lesson with him now. And how much it'll cost. :roll: Guess it's a good thing I'm not on the West Coast, or I'd be sorely tempted...

20. mamboqueen

Me, too! I can't imagine paying $100 for a quart of drool...*LOL*

Charlotte did look absolutely stunning. My screen was smoking when she and Nick danced. It was "suxy"!