General Dance Discussion > Dance party food Health standards

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by DanceMentor, Apr 11, 2017.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I often think about the standards for food at a dance party. You figure people are touching each other's hands, and then going over to the Food Bar and grabbing things. They might be pouring from the same bottle or using the same utensils, ect. So compared to the average party since people are touching each other a lot, do you think maybe dance party food would be especially problematic?

Then of course there is the problem with the food sitting out for 2 or 3 hours. It seems like waiting until near the end of the party to eat some food might also be an issue.

2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Get twinkies. They are Armageddon proof

RiseNFall and IndyLady like this.
  3. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

I'd avoid the sushi and sashimi. :wacky:

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  4. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Never had a problem with food at a dance. However, last year around Thanksgiving time, there was a pot luck lunch and a bunch of people got food poisoning. I'm told they compared notes and figured out whose dish it probably was. Anyway, after that, there was a ban on pot luck meals. The couple of times that we've had office events since then, people chipped in for pizza.

(I was lucky... I was at an offsite meeting and didn't eat anything in the office that day.)

5. DanceMentor

I'm thinking more the problem would be catching a cold versus a stomach virus. Because a lot of people are touching hands and then touching utensils you might not realize that you caught a cold this way. I'm not saying that you would but this is the case I am presenting here that's something we might want to watch out for.

6. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Considering how contagious norovirus is, I'd fear volcanic butts with singing rainbows more than catching a cold.

7. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

I have to be brutally honest, in the decade I've been dancing and eating food at parties, this never really occurred to me, though I'm on the more lenient end of the germophobe spectrum. My studio has bottles of hand sanitizer scattered around, fwiw. I've never had any illnesses that seemed obviously traceable back to dance food.

On the topic of standards though, one of my former dance studios had to stop having any alcohol (beer, wine) available because they were located next to a bar/brewery (strip mall) that complained or something, i.e. that the studio would have to get a liquor license.

8. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Interesting. I've wondered about the legality / required permits (if any) for studios serving alcohol.

Probably varies by state and situation.

IndyLady likes this.
  9. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

For colds and respiratory flu, I think you are more likely to catch those from contact with other people - dancing, greeting (handshakes, hugs, etc), and simply sharing airspace. For prevention of those, I sure wish that:

1) sick people would stay home and not go to social events!!!! sigh.

2) people who are "just finally getting over that awful bug that's been going around, and are just now starting to feel better" would at least avoid handshakes and whatnot where not necessary. (e.g. I'm a follower, and I have had numerous follower friends give me a hello or goodbye hug at an event, and then tell me how they have been SO sick until just recently. These are folks I wouldn't have danced with that night, since we both dance the same role - no need to touch me when you've just been sick, thanks!!)

For food issues - avoid eating the types of foods that spoil at room temperature if they've been out for a long time, such as meat dishes that aren't kept in a warm crockpot. Cookies, cakes, and chips are usually pretty safe, IMO.

cornutt, Loki and IndyLady like this.
  10. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Well, unless you're Lysoling and scrubbing your hands and wearing a mask, that's going to happen whether you eat or not.

DanceMentor likes this.
  11. DanceMentor

How did you know that wasn't cologne I was wearing?

IndyLady likes this.
  12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Eau de phenylphenol?

danceronice likes this.
  13. Mia

Mia Member

I'm very glad you posted this topic for discussion! I know for social dances where I will be active for the majority of songs (I suspect this applies to most if not all people here on this forum), I usually prefer to dance on an empty stomach or a near empty stomach. I find I perform much better that way and I don't have to worry about how digestion will be less then optimal as I do a spin. So I also typically leave food out till the very end of the event before I touch any of it and you make a very good point about food being left at room temperature for several hours and potentially being touched by less then 100% clean hands. I will most certainly re-think touching food after you posted this.

Do others here also prefer to dance on an empty stomach and not touch food till near the end of the event?

14. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Most have legal BYOB permits. Some studios skip the permit altogether and simply run with illegal alcohol possession and sales on the premises until they get caught.

15. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Yeah, me. I'll just nibble at the food during the evening. I usually come in with a big cup of iced tea; when I finish that, I pour a bit of Coke and then switch to water. I might eat a few chips, or a few pieces of celery and dip, or a cookie. Sometimes I stop on the way home and get something to eat, but usually I'm too tired and I just say the hell with it. I almost never eat before I go to the studio.

16. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Only light eating at socials for me; otherwise toe-heels feel like waddle-flops.

cornutt, Requiem and j_alexandra like this.
  17. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

I used to read that the mutual exchange of bacteria and virusses and all was beneficial to help the body to strenghten its defences.

Borazine likes this.
  18. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

There's been some debate about that and the current obsession with hygiene being detrimental to kids.
    Let 'em eat a little dirt.

Borazine likes this.